The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you have long hair? Is long hair important? And clothing styles?

+15
Andreas89
Son of Nun
Superjuice
Drawnsword
Staybrite
Kerrick
BaleMaster
outofstep
alldatndensum
eatbugs
Pethead
TZ75
WildWorld
Constantine
Contrarian Deist
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you have long hair? Is long hair important? And clothing styles? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you have long hair? Is long hair important? And clothing styles?

Post by Superjuice Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:05 pm

Constantine wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:

I don't think thrash and death metal becoming favored that it harmed the worthiness of classic metal at all, 
I'm not talking about the major bands.    I'm talking about popular underground bands (non-thrash) that got signed when metal was hugely popular and growing.  The bigger bands like Ozzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc. did just fine because they already had a large mainstream audience by then.  But many of the the smaller underground bands that got signed to major labels or larger indies and weren't thrash ending up struggling.  It was painfully obvious what was happening by 1984 and even the affected bands can tell you exactly how it was for them back then.   Albums that are looked at fondly today (because of nostalgia) did not do nearly as well as they were hoping for back then because the thrash craze had kicked in and everything had to be harder and faster.   Bands like Metal Church, Armored Saint, Malice, Black 'N Blue, Warlock, Hittman, Icon, Fifth Angel, Shok Paris, Oliver Magnum, Cerebus, etc. put out debut albums during this time and didn't achieve nearly the success they or their record companies were expecting because many of these worthy straight metal bands became lost in the shuffle as dozens of new bands began to pop up in the wake of Metallica, Slayer, Kreator, and the like.   Subsequently, many of these bands got dropped by their labels due to poor sales.

But since this is not the main point of this thread, I am going to leave it there.
Love this post.  And this needs to be discussed more often.  What killed trad heavy metal? 

Paul Gilbert said he left Racer X because straight up metal just wasn't getting supported anymore.  Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot couldn't be anymore uncool by 1988 and their decline started at least by '86.  Meanwhile, Vicious Rumors is dropping killer albums and nobody knew who they were.

Metal went in two directions and it was either extreme or pop.  This hurt a lot of bands and the movement as a whole IMO. Leading up to its eventual death.  However, the Christian market still seemed to thrive with heavy metal with bands like Barren Cross and Recon.  Maybe due to naivete'.

Had hybrid metal like Saigon Kick or Galactic Cowboys got a better run it woulda changed things.  Perhaps they were too sophisticated for the general public though?
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Do you have long hair? Is long hair important? And clothing styles? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you have long hair? Is long hair important? And clothing styles?

Post by WildWorld Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:22 pm

Saigon Kick actually did get a moderately big hit with Love is on the Way, but that also hurt them, since it made people assume they were a pop metal band which led to either cries of "another one?" or people would buy the album, assuming they were getting lighter pop metal, then get bombarded with tunes like Hostile Youth, Peppermint Tribe, and My Dog (to be fair, there WERE lighter tunes on the album, but their work as a whole couldnt really be pigeonholed into one subgenre).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:34 pm

I had long hair from about 17 to 21 and not since. Now that I'm back into Metal I'm contemplating growing it out again (and my wife wants to see what I look like with longer hair). I'm in that weird in-between phase where I really don't have any idea what to do with it. It's really a matter if I can stand this awkwardness long enough for it to get long.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 am

I used to have long hair until I was 22. My hair is pretty curly so it took time to grow in length but it was very full. It may have played a role in courting the lady who is now my wife Razz

Anyway, I was operated for a bone tumor and although it was successfully removed, the surgical wound started to get very infected over the next few weeks. At some point the doctors gave me the heaviest antibiotics treatment possible, namely four pills per day for 42 days. It is during this treatment that at a few places my hair started falling out and my wife said that long hair made me look like a clown. After a while I looked into the mirror and realized that... she was not wrong.

Nowadays I'm going for a less wild and more civilized look, but there are times when I look back at those times with a certain degree of nostalgia Razz
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:16 am

Andreas89 wrote:I used to have long hair until I was 22. My hair is pretty curly so it took time to grow in length but it was very full. It may have played a role in courting the lady who is now my wife Razz

Anyway, I was operated for a bone tumor and although it was successfully removed, the surgical wound started to get very infected over the next few weeks. At some point the doctors gave me the heaviest antibiotics treatment possible, namely four pills per day for 42 days. It is during this treatment that at a few places my hair started falling out and my wife said that long hair made me look like a clown. After a while I looked into the mirror and realized that... she was not wrong.

Nowadays I'm going for a less wild and more civilized look, but there are times when I look back at those times with a certain degree of nostalgia Razz

Your hair was probably like Peter Baltes from Accept.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:50 am

It started out like that but I guess after a while my hair became too heavy so the effect was diminished.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:24 am

I never really understood the idea of following a certain appearance aesthetic based on your musical taste. That said, I usually end up letting my hair grow to the base of my neck before cutting it. If I let it get too long it’s nearly impossible to keep under control and I end up looking like a wild-haired homeless person
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:34 am

I have long hair, I happen to like it.
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 am

seth wrote:I never really understood the idea of following a certain appearance aesthetic based on your musical taste. That said, I usually end up letting my hair grow to the base of my neck before cutting it. If I let it get too long it’s nearly impossible to keep under control and I end up looking like a wild-haired homeless person

That's pretty much the look I'm going for.
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:57 pm

Pro-Zak wrote:
seth wrote:I never really understood the idea of following a certain appearance aesthetic based on your musical taste. That said, I usually end up letting my hair grow to the base of my neck before cutting it. If I let it get too long it’s nearly impossible to keep under control and I end up looking like a wild-haired homeless person

That's pretty much the look I'm going for.
I can see making long hair work with that hair type if you really put in the effort. But in my case it gets so tangled and messy that bugs fly into it and get stuck…
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 pm

I keep my hair slightly past shoulder length. I might grow it out longer once I can get a beard, because I just don't want my hair to look girly. Everyday life I just wear clothes to avoid being naked, but if I ever start getting big enough to have an image I'll probably wear a lot of denim for photoshoots/concerts/etc... Idk why but I just think denim jackets look cool. Everyday life idc though.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:38 pm

seth wrote:I never really understood the idea of following a certain appearance aesthetic based on your musical taste. 

It’s usually a young person thing… from junior high to high school (sometimes into college) there are people that want to be identified with a look or image. It used to be a big deal to heavy metal fans in the 1980’s (the mullet was super popular). Even the stoner kids of the 70’s had that long hair hippie image. Big sideburns and aviator glasses were a thing too! 😄
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:44 pm

TZ75 wrote:
seth wrote:I never really understood the idea of following a certain appearance aesthetic based on your musical taste. 

It’s usually a young person thing… from junior high to high school (sometimes into college) there are people that want to be identified with a look or image. It used to be a big deal to heavy metal fans in the 1980’s (the mullet was super popular). Even the stoner kids of the 70’s had that long hair hippie image. Big sideburns and aviator glasses were a thing too! 😄
For me it's more for once I get big, you want to look somewhat iconic for band images... and you can't look iconic in cargo shorts, a t-shirt, and the same haircut as every other boy at your church.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:53 pm

Just realized by “get big” you meant famous, for some reason thought you meant you were planning on hitting the gym and bulking up before crafting a public image 😂
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 pm

seth wrote:Just realized by “get big” you meant famous, for some reason thought you meant you were planning on hitting the gym and bulking up before crafting a public image 😂
lol!

Wouldn't hurt, though! Of course just look at Lars Ulrich for proof it's not needed  Razz
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:23 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:Just realized by “get big” you meant famous, for some reason thought you meant you were planning on hitting the gym and bulking up before crafting a public image 😂
lol!

Wouldn't hurt, though! Of course just look at Lars Ulrich for proof it's not needed  Razz

Fame is like winning the lottery. It’s being at the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. Although Metallica had the talent, it was that Metal Massacre compilation from Brian Slagel’s Metal Blade label that got their foot in the door. 

Nowadays it’s even harder to make a name and maintain a presence in the industry. You pretty much need to be a puppet for the Illuminati machine. 

And if you plan on doing it for God, it’s his glory. He can pull the plug at any time! So many great and promising bands ended after just two albums!

A few examples…

The Crucified 
Sacrament 
Betrayal 
Seventh Angel
Jesus Freaks
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:31 pm

I shave my head once a month.  Like One Bad Pig sang, "Cut your hair!"
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Raegoul and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:38 pm

BaleMaster wrote:I shave my head once a month.  Like One Bad Pig sang, "Cut your hair!"

Bald has been in since Halford and Kerry King took the plunge.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:57 am

Shaving if you're getting bald is the ultimate comb-over:
You shave your head bald to hide that you're balding.
Very Happy

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:50 am

I’ve tried to convince my wife to get on board with me shaving my head since my hair is very thin on top, but she is not a fan of the idea. So, I’ve settled for a very short buzz cut. I told her that if I get a full bald spot, though, I’m going full chrome dome.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2