The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian horror movies

+6
ThomasEversole
Superjuice
TZ75
Hidgxx
Kerrick
Contrarian Deist
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Christian horror movies Empty Christian horror movies

Post by Contrarian Deist Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 pm

I've never heard of such a thing yet, though there are Christian actions, drama, comedy, etc. If there has been Christian extreme metal for 25-30 years and Christian movies of various genres, why not Christian horror movies? I think there is an untapped market there. Perhaps some Christian metalheads who like horror movies and who have film making expertise could create the genre?
Perhaps a good starting point would be a movie based on Frank Perretis book *The oath*? I think that would be a good horror(or at least suspense/thriller) , you could hire some big Hollywood actors...whom happen to be Christians(there are a number of these). Then it could branch out into more traditional horror movies that are Christian based themes or allegories, but with the traditional horror movie trappings. If Christian death metal and black metal can exist that are pretty DM and BM in themes and imagery and metaphors/allegories...why not Christian horror/thriller movies?
Thoughts?

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Christian horror movies Empty Re: Christian horror movies

Post by Kerrick Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:54 pm

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose comes to mind.  But yeah, I'm not aware of too many.  Then again, there aren't really many Christian movies to begin with (especially ones worth watching...) so I don't suppose it's any surprise that more Christian horror flicks don't exist.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Superjuice, BaleMaster and Contrarian Deist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hidgxx Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:15 pm

The remaining

Not a horror film but a thriller I guess. It's based on the rapture ( pre mil ) I think.

https://youtu.be/bkxh8oFMD9Y

Last edited by Hidgxx on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot video)
Hidgxx
Hidgxx
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Contrarian Deist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:35 am

I saw the 70’s rapture movie “A Thief in the Night” when I was a kid and it freaked me out! It’s much scarier than any fake Hollywood monster movie. The Exorcist and The Omen are a close second.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:52 am

TZ75 wrote:I saw the 70’s rapture movie “A Thief in the Night” when I was a kid and it freaked me out! It’s much scarier than any fake Hollywood monster movie. The Exorcist and The Omen are a close second.

I saw the original Left Behind movies in the 90s. Was a Christian at the time and it scared me too. Believing in those things as I did. Actually now it still ...scares is not the right word, disconcerts me maybe a better term, whilst I no longer believe in that theology and all those things, I still believe in the NWO and that some of those prophecies are coming true, I still think the NWO might hoax the rapture and tribulation and all that, the NWO....regardless of how one conceives of it, through which lenses, is still the most frightening and disturbing real life horror ever!
I loved the Omen series, especially part 3, Sam Neil is one of my favorite actors because of his portrayal of Damien, but also because of other stuff he's done since(loved him in Event Horizon, and in Mouth of Madness)...under rated actor. The Omen was good, but he made the 3rd one awesome.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:08 am

Contrarian Deist wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I saw the 70’s rapture movie “A Thief in the Night” when I was a kid and it freaked me out! It’s much scarier than any fake Hollywood monster movie. The Exorcist and The Omen are a close second.

I saw the original Left Behind movies in the 90s. Was a Christian at the time and it scared me too. Believing in those things as I did. Actually now it still ...scares is not the right word, disconcerts me maybe a better term,  whilst I no longer believe in that theology and all those things, I still believe in the NWO and that some of those prophecies are coming true, I still think the NWO might hoax the rapture and tribulation and all that, the NWO....regardless of how one conceives of it, through which lenses, is still the most frightening and disturbing real life horror ever!
I loved the Omen series,  especially part 3, Sam Neil is one of my favorite actors because of his portrayal of Damien, but also  because of other stuff he's done since(loved him in Event Horizon, and in Mouth of Madness)...under rated actor. The Omen was good, but he made the 3rd one awesome.

I agree that Sam Neil is a very good actor.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:08 pm

I thought Ted Dekker wrote and produced a horror movie.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:14 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:

I saw the original Left Behind movies in the 90s. Was a Christian at the time and it scared me too. Believing in those things as I did. Actually now it still ...scares is not the right word, disconcerts me maybe a better term,  whilst I no longer believe in that theology and all those things, I still believe in the NWO and that some of those prophecies are coming true, I still think the NWO might hoax the rapture and tribulation and all that, the NWO....regardless of how one conceives of it, through which lenses, is still the most frightening and disturbing real life horror ever!
I loved the Omen series,  especially part 3, Sam Neil is one of my favorite actors because of his portrayal of Damien, but also  because of other stuff he's done since(loved him in Event Horizon, and in Mouth of Madness)...under rated actor. The Omen was good, but he made the 3rd one awesome.

I agree that Sam Neil is a very good actor.

Ya know. I always thought he'd make a good James Bond in the tradition of the Great Sean Connery and Roger Moore. I can't understand why he wasn't hired to play 007 after them.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Not a horror movie per-say, but "Hell House" is a documentary on the "Christian Haunted Houses" that the Cedar Hill Trinity church first put on, intended to "scare the hell out of you". Apparently, there are a number of Hell Houses nationwide (franchise), that is pretty fire and brimstone scary, with an offer to accept salvation at the end. (I haven't "done" one myself, but read about them)

Scott Derrickson (film director and producer) is a Christian (outspoken about it actually), and he's directed/produced a few horror movies. Exorcism of Emily Rose (that Kerrick mentioned), Sinister, Sinister 2, Deliver Us From Evil, Devil's Knot, The Visitation... there's more, and he's working on new horror films too.

A quote that stood out to me that he made to Relevant Magazine,

I gravitated, I think, initially, toward the horror genre because, of all the genres, I think it is the genre that is most friendly to the subject matter of faith and belief in religion. The more frightening and sort of dark and oppressive a movie is, the more free you are to explore the supernatural and explore faith. The two just somehow go hand-in-hand really nicely.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Horror movies often time have evil, and good triumphs over it at the end.... or evil wins in a situation in a story, and the situation is clearly, heh, "horrible" because of evil winning.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Superjuice wrote:I thought Ted Dekker wrote and produced a horror movie.
House.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:00 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:Not a horror movie per-say, but "Hell House" is a documentary on the "Christian Haunted Houses" that the Cedar Hill Trinity church first put on, intended to "scare the hell out of you". Apparently, there are a number of Hell Houses nationwide (franchise), that is pretty fire and brimstone scary, with an offer to accept salvation at the end. (I haven't "done" one myself, but read about them)

Scott Derrickson (film director and producer) is a Christian (outspoken about it actually), and he's directed/produced a few horror movies. Exorcism of Emily Rose (that Kerrick mentioned), Sinister, Sinister 2, Deliver Us From Evil, Devil's Knot, The Visitation... there's more, and he's working on new horror films too.

I gravitated, I think, initially, toward the horror genre because, of all the genres, I think it is the genre that is most friendly to the subject matter of faith and belief in religion. The more frightening and sort of dark and oppressive a movie is, the more free you are to explore the supernatural and explore faith. The two just somehow go hand-in-hand really nicely.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Horror movies often time have evil, and good triumphs over it at the end.... or evil wins in a situation in a story, and the situation is clearly, heh, "horrible" because of evil winning.

Devils Knott was a damn good movie, important subject matter too. The west Memphis 3, the satanic panic.
There should be more docudrama movies about the Satanic Panic.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

ThomasEversole likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:02 pm

BaleMaster wrote:
House.

You mean the horror-comedy haunted house movies House parts 1 and 2?
Man, haven't watched those since I was a kid, as I recall they were pretty funny and scary in a fun cool kinda way

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Contrarian Deist wrote:
ThomasEversole wrote:Not a horror movie per-say, but "Hell House" is a documentary on the "Christian Haunted Houses" that the Cedar Hill Trinity church first put on, intended to "scare the hell out of you".  Apparently, there are a number of Hell Houses nationwide (franchise), that is pretty fire and brimstone scary, with an offer to accept salvation at the end.  (I haven't "done" one myself, but read about them)

Scott Derrickson (film director and producer) is a Christian (outspoken about it actually), and he's directed/produced a few horror movies.  Exorcism of Emily Rose (that Kerrick mentioned), Sinister, Sinister 2, Deliver Us From Evil, Devil's Knot, The Visitation...  there's more, and he's working on new horror films too.  

That makes a lot of sense to me.  Horror movies often time have evil, and good triumphs over it at the end....  or evil wins in a situation in a story, and the situation is clearly, heh, "horrible" because of evil winning.  

Devils Knott was a damn good movie, important subject matter too. The west Memphis 3, the satanic panic.
There should be more docudrama movies about the Satanic Panic.
Not a Christian movie, but there was a documentary about the WM3 called Paradise Lost:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117293/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Contrarian Deist wrote:
BaleMaster wrote:
House.

Man, haven't watched those since I was a kid, as I recall they were pretty funny and scary in a fun cool kinda way

No, not the movie with William Katt (known from Carrie and Greatest American Hero). That’s a different “House”.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:55 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:
BaleMaster wrote:
House.

No, not the movie with William Katt (known from Carrie and Greatest American Hero). That’s a different “House”.

Ah, ok.
The only movies or shows I'm aware of with that single name are that movie series and if course House(M.D.)the tv drama.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:32 am

Dekker has two movies out:

Three
House

It seems Peretti has written a few:
Hangman's Curse
The Visitation

I haven't seen it, but from what I have read, would M. Night Shyamalan's "Devil" fit?
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:16 am

Devil includes Biblical themes and shares Bible verses, so it could qualify IMO.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:33 pm

I have not seen it, but The Conjuring is a hugely successful horror franchise and is apparently written by 2 Christian screenwriters, Chad and Carey Hayes.  There was a spin-off franchise attempt called The Nun, but I don't think it quite took off.

The Conjuring is supposed to be about a family terrorized by a demonic presence in a secluded farmhouse. Even though it has a Christian message that God is always more powerful than evil, critics and fans apparently loved it.

Also, the previously mentioned Scott Derrickson is a Christian screenwriter and has worked on quite a few films in the genre.  In addition to the ones Thomas mentioned, there was Urban Legends: Final Cut, Dracula 2000, and Hellraiser: Inferno (which he also directed). The Exorcism Of Emily Rose is probably his best known one.   Of all of his movies, the only one I have seen is Hellraiser: Inferno.

I agree there should be more Christian horror films and if done right, they can help to scare people away from hell.   I know people that turned to God after seeing movies like The Exorcist or Event Horizon.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:56 pm

deathisgain wrote:I haven't seen it, but from what I have read, would M. Night Shyamalan's "Devil" fit?

I forgot about that one!  Yes, I think it'd count though I don't think the "theology" in it is particularly great.  (It's been a long time since I've seen it, but as I recall it had a bit of a works-based salvation slant to it.)

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:45 pm

Constantine wrote:I have not seen it, but The Conjuring is a hugely successful horror franchise and is apparently written by 2 Christian screenwriters, Chad and Carey Hayes.  There was a spin-off franchise attempt called The Nun, but I don't think it quite took off.

The Conjuring is supposed to be about a family terrorized by a demonic presence in a secluded farmhouse. Even though it has a Christian message that God is always more powerful than evil, critics and fans apparently loved it.

Also, the previously mentioned Scott Derrickson is a Christian screenwriter and has worked on quite a few films in the genre.  In addition to the ones Thomas mentioned, there was Urban Legends: Final Cut, Dracula 2000, and Hellraiser: Inferno (which he also directed). The Exorcism Of Emily Rose is probably his best known one.   Of all of his movies, the only one I have seen is Hellraiser: Inferno.

I agree there should be more Christian horror films and if done right, they can help to scare people away from hell.   I know people that turned to God after seeing movies like The Exorcist or Event Horizon.

I've always thought some Christian metal band should use a sound clip from the end of that Hellraiser movie when Pinhead gives his speech to that guy before having his clone kill him.
Great speech, perfect material for a Christian death/black/thrash metal song intro.

Hellraiser, my fave horror series of all time, Pinhead my fave horror villain...for his being like a dark philosopher.
Well the first 4. After that the follow ups got progressively crappier, lol!

You know people that turned to christianity because of *Event Horizon*? Exorcist I can see, but *Event Horizon*?
Anyways one of the best sci-fi horror flicks of all time IMO

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:23 am

Contrarian Deist wrote:

You know people that turned to christianity because of *Event Horizon*? Exorcist  I can see, but *Event Horizon*?
Event Horizon scared the crap out of quite a number of people because of the (very graphic but quick-cut) visions of being tortured in hell.   Some of that footage was cut and lost forever; I can only imagine how much more graphic it might have been.

The movie was very disturbing, but I agree it is one of the best horror-sci-fi movies ever.  
The cast was excellent, especially Sam Neill and Lawrence Fishburne.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

BaleMaster and Contrarian Deist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Constantine wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:

You know people that turned to christianity because of *Event Horizon*? Exorcist  I can see, but *Event Horizon*?
Event Horizon scared the crap out of quite a number of people because of the (very graphic but quick-cut) visions of being tortured in hell.   Some of that footage was cut and lost forever; I can only imagine how much more graphic it might have been.

The movie was very disturbing, but I agree it is one of the best horror-sci-fi movies ever.  
The cast was excellent, especially Sam Neill and Lawrence Fishburne.

*Liberate...te...ex inferis.*

Didn't Demon Hunter or Zao use that as an intro to one of their songs(I think Zao....also titled the album that)

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 pm

I thought of another horror movie with a semi-Christian message towards the end.  Sundown: The Vampire In Retreat is a goofy and campy vampire flick with an ending which took a slightly different turn than expected.

MAJOR SPOILERS:
Spoiler:

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:56 pm

Kerrick, I'm going to have to check that out!
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 pm

^It's a fun one!  Super cheesy and campy, but light-hearted and enjoyable.  I think it's rated R but it's a pretty light R if I remember correctly.  Just some goofy gore and language I believe.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next