The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neal Morse "Sola Gratia"

5 posters

Go down

Neal Morse "Sola Gratia" Empty Neal Morse "Sola Gratia"

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:28 am

This came out yesterday and, though I didn't get my preorder CD/DVD, I got the mp3 files.

Neal is a one trick pony in some ways. Much of his material sounds the same. It's both good and bad and with the bevy of material he releases and 3 straight double disc concept albums it can be, to say the least, a bit much for me. However, some of his music has moved me in the past and been important in my life in Christ. So, I continue to follow. I actually enjoy everything he's done to some degree but each album I secretly hope that this next album will be like "Testimony" or "?" that helped me when the direction of my life changed.

I'm glad this album turned out as it has. It's a simpler affair. It goes back to the ? days. It's not as dense. It feels more heartfelt and fresh. I'm only through it once but I'd be curious what others will think. Seriously enjoying this more than anything he's done in years. I'm refreshed listening to this.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Neal Morse "Sola Gratia" Empty Re: Neal Morse "Sola Gratia"

Post by Tombie Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:25 am

I agree... I love most of his work but as you said, it seems a bit redundant. I do really like this new album though.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Nelson and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:42 am

I listened to the whole album.   It has some dazzling moments, although what I appreciate about Neal Morse is that the instrumentation serves the songs and not the other way around.   Many prog. metal outfits just try to wow you with overly-complex arrangements and playing.

I also like that the album takes you on a journey and harkens back to the prime days of Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, as well as to his own "Sola Scriptura" (my favorite of his).

That said, I'm not enamored with Neal as a singer. He has a certain cadence and tone that works well for some songs but not for all. I'm hoping on future releases he will go back to including other members as additional vocalists.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Ammocas and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Constantine wrote:I listened to the whole album.   It has some dazzling moments, although what I appreciate about Neal Morse is that the instrumentation serves the songs and not the other way around.   Many prog. metal outfits just try to wow you with overly-complex arrangements and playing.

I also like that the album takes you on a journey and harkens back to the prime days of Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, as well as to his own "Sola Scriptura" (my favorite of his).

That said, I'm not enamored with Neal as a singer. He has a certain cadence and tone that works well for some songs but not for all. I'm hoping on future releases he will go back to including other members as additional vocalists.
I’m definitely hearing the Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis influences and I agree with you about his vocals...some songs are wonderful and then some songs on this album I’m left thinking someone else like Eric Gillette or Mike Portnoy probably could’ve sang it as guest vocals. The difference is that this is a Neal Morse album, not a Neal Morse Band release. It doesn’t matter though, I only heard the mp3 files once and it definitely sounded good...I’m still waiting for them to send out the vinyl and cd to me. I heard some people already received them...I’m trying very hard to have Patience!
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:17 am

The Glory of the Lord rocks the majestic prog metal!!
Neal always makes it clear that he is a Christian.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down