The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 Years Ago: Alice in Chains released their debut album "Facelift."

+4
TZ75
Black Rider
alldatndensum
PlaceOfASkull
8 posters

Go down

30 Years Ago: Alice in Chains released their debut album "Facelift." Empty 30 Years Ago: Alice in Chains released their debut album "Facelift."

Post by PlaceOfASkull Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:57 pm

PlaceOfASkull
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

30 Years Ago: Alice in Chains released their debut album "Facelift." Empty Re: 30 Years Ago: Alice in Chains released their debut album "Facelift."

Post by Staybrite Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:58 pm

Oh man, I lived in the Seattle area at the time and this album was a big deal.  Can't believe I was only 22 at the time.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

30 Years Ago: Alice in Chains released their debut album "Facelift." Empty Re: 30 Years Ago: Alice in Chains released their debut album "Facelift."

Post by alldatndensum Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:16 pm

I probably would have gotten into the style at the time but would not listen to anything but Christian rock at the time.  Also, the first song of theirs was "Man In The Box" and that just turned me off to this band altogether.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:55 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I probably would have gotten into the style at the time but would not listen to anything but Christian rock at the time.  Also, the first song of theirs was "Man In The Box" and that just turned me off to this band altogether.

I get that.  And Man In The Box isn't even one of my favorites from the band.  But I had a demo of theirs for probably close to a year before their major label record had even come out.  I had even seen them live twice before they every got signed.  There music actually got a bit darker between the demo and the "Facelift" album.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:44 pm

I saw them open for Queensryche just before they broke big and they got booed.  Very Happy
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:54 pm

I was a big fan of the first two AIC albums (especially Facelift). They were dark and very Sabbath inspired! I like Jerry’s simple but memorable riffs and Layne had a great voice.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:02 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I probably would have gotten into the style at the time but would not listen to anything but Christian rock at the time.  Also, the first song of theirs was "Man In The Box" and that just turned me off to this band altogether.

I think the lyrics are vague and misunderstood. “Man in the Box” has the lyric: Jesus Christ, deny your maker... (but the next line warns): Anyone who tries (will be wasted). Just like Black Sabbath, they painted with “light & shade“. I never had the impression they ever promoted the devil. Their song “Rooster” mentions Jerry’s father praying to God to make it through. That’s something Danzig would never say.

Last edited by TZ75 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:44 pm

I've heard Man in the Box is really about censorship, though I dont really see it looking through the lyrics.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:12 pm

WildWorld wrote:I've heard Man in the Box is really about censorship, though I dont really see it looking through the lyrics.

Yeah, I can see that (pun intended). The whole “eyes sewn shut” thing...

I think it’s one of those songs where the meaning is open for interpretation.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Black Rider wrote:I saw them open for Queensryche just before they broke big and they got booed.  Very Happy

That's kind of funny because they had a huge club following.  
Maybe more of a case of having two rather incompatible bands (style-wise) on the same bill.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:09 pm

My first exposure to them was on the "Singles" soundtrack and then on the radio or MTV where I heard "Man In The Box."  
They made a big impression, even though I didn't like the lyrics and felt their sound owed too much to Kings-X, who were struggling while these guys took off pretty fast.

I thought "Dirt" was their high point, but man, it is so dark and depressing to listen to.  I can only take it in small doses.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:05 pm

They are the best of the so called Grunge bands.
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down