The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

+14
jononation
Constantine
Son of Nun
Dustofyears
mothy
bgsully
Opeth3232
strangerhoncho
Temple of Blood
Black Rider
cailen
TZ75
average joe
My Awesome Timothy
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands Empty Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

Post by My Awesome Timothy 21/8/2020, 7:19 pm

Thought it would be good to talk about popular Thrash Bands from the late 80’s and early 90’s compared to Thrash Bands of today.

Classic Bands.                     Modern Bands

Tourniquet                           Freakings
Deliverance                          Grave Forsaken
Vengeance Rising                Hand Of Fire
Believer                                Adorned Graves
Sacrament                            Ritual Servant
Ultimatum                            Meliah Rage (Masquerade Album)
Detritus                                Temple Of Blood
Seventh Angel                     Terraphobia

I didn’t include Mortification because of their death metal leanings but if you want to include them and bands like The Crucified and Betrayal that is cool with me!
So if you were to do a top 10 bands of Christian Thrash who would it be?  What about a top 10 essential Christian Thrash albums, what would you choose?  Need to have a think myself!!!
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands Empty Re: Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

Post by Black Rider 21/8/2020, 10:50 pm

Albums: 
TQT-Psycho and POD
Deliverance-S/T and Stay
Sacrament-Both
Seventh Angel-First two
Living Sacrifice-First album
Ritual Servant
Meliah Rage
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands Empty Re: Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

Post by Temple of Blood 21/8/2020, 11:16 pm

I wouldn't include that Meliah Rage album personally.  I think it is closer to US Power Metal.

I would add Hating Evil, Wickeds End,  Angel of Sodom, and Herd to modern thrash bands.  I know I am forgetting some too, especially from Brazil.  Maybe Mosh-pit Justice?

I'd hate for someone to judge our place in the Christian thrash scene before our new album comes out.  That will really tell the tale.

Betrayal/Martyr may be coming back, so that could be really exciting.  Not to mention Deathless.

(I won't include my own band here below, so I won't be too biased)

Top 10 Christian thrash bands
1. Tourniquet
2. Antithesis
3. Deliverance
4. Viking
5. Devastation
6. Seventh Angel
7. Sacrament
8. Betrayal / Martyr
9. Believer
10. Join the Dead
12. Catscan
13. Immortal
14. Hating Evil
15. Wickeds End
16. Deathless

Top 10 essential Christian thrash albums
1.  Tourniquet - Stop the Bleeding
2.  Antithesis - s/t
3.  Deliverance - Weapons of our Warfare
4. Viking - Man of Straw
5. Devastation - Idolatry
6. Seventh Angel - Lament for the Weary
7. Sacrament
8. Betrayal / Martyr
9. Believer - Dimensions
10. Join the Dead - s/t
12. Catscan  (I've finally heard the whole thing.  This may be getting a pro-press in the future!)
13. Immortal - Dead and Buried demo
14. Hating Evil - Rotten inside
15. Wickeds End - Temporal Pain demo
16. Deathless - Enslaved
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe 22/8/2020, 12:18 am

So many questions. 

1) You would call Anithesis thrash? Do you have some sort of sentimental attachment to the band? I only ask because I have never seen them on a thrash list.

2) Are we counting Viking as a Christian band with Christian lyrics or just secular with Christian friendly lyrics?

3) Same question for Devastation?

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood 22/8/2020, 9:23 am

average joe wrote:So many questions. 

1) You would call Anithesis thrash? Do you have some sort of sentimental attachment to the band? I only ask because I have never seen them on a thrash list.

I would.  No sentimental attachment except that I thought their albums were by far some of the best metal around at the time.  I've never seen them on thrash lists but I have seen them described as thrashy and compared to bands like Metal Church.  They're not 80s Bay Area thrash, but I think their music is influenced by thrash.

2) Are we counting Viking as a Christian band with Christian lyrics or just secular with Christian friendly lyrics?

The former, and I'm talking about that 2nd album.  Seventh Angel, Deliverance, and Believer are considered Christian thrash although their latest offerings don't have any Christian lyrics either.

Ditto, but less so than Viking was, which I think is beyond question.

I'm loving this discussion!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 22/8/2020, 1:33 pm

I like the old thrash bands way better. 

Mostly everything released between 1989 - 1992...

Tourniquet - the first three
The Crucified - everything 
Deliverance - the first four
Sacrament - everything 
Believer - the first two 
Betrayal - the second 
Seventh Angel - everything 
Living Sacrifice - s/t

Last edited by TZ75 on 25/3/2021, 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 22/8/2020, 1:44 pm

I like Mortification and Vengeance Rising too, but I left them out because they were a bit more in the death metal direction.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood 22/8/2020, 2:52 pm

I forgot the Living Sacrifice debut!  arrgh
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen 23/8/2020, 4:20 am

The modern bands can´t accomplish, what the classic bands have created.
 Thrash Metal was born and grew up in these times. It was a special athmosphere then. But the modern bands can try to compete with them.

My most favourite ones of the days of old are:

Tourniquet - Stop the bleeding
Vengeance rising - Once dead
Martyr and Betrayal all stuff
Believer - Extruction from mortality
Seventh Angel - Lament for the weary
Deliverance - Deliverance
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe 23/8/2020, 6:10 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
average joe wrote:So many questions. 

I would.  No sentimental attachment except that I thought their albums were by far some of the best metal around at the time.  I've never seen them on thrash lists but I have seen them described as thrashy and compared to bands like Metal Church.  They're not 80s Bay Area thrash, but I think their music is influenced by thrash.

The former, and I'm talking about that 2nd album.  Seventh Angel, Deliverance, and Believer are considered Christian thrash although their latest offerings don't have any Christian lyrics either.

Ditto, but less so than Viking was, which I think is beyond question.

I'm loving this discussion

What about Realm “Endless War?”

Last edited by average joe on 31/8/2020, 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider 23/8/2020, 11:28 am

Practice didn't even have christian lyrics.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood 23/8/2020, 1:36 pm

Realm "Endless War" the former.  Lyrics written by the previous vocalist from their demos who was not on the album.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho 9/9/2020, 11:24 am

Modern thrash bands usually can't replicate the originals, because the times have passed.  Some of them may get the authentic sound of old thrash down, like Ritual Servant or Hating Evil, but it still usually comes across like "paint by numbers" to me.  Too predictable, no personality, no stand-out riffs, and no unique songwriting skills and unique vocals like the original bands had.

That said, I still applaud them trying!  I hold out hope that some of them will put out something great eventually.  They just need to find their own sound within the genre instead of merely trying to recreate the past.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Opeth3232 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood 9/9/2020, 4:46 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:Modern thrash bands usually can't replicate the originals, because the times have passed.  Some of them may get the authentic sound of old thrash down, like Ritual Servant or Hating Evil, but it still usually comes across like "paint by numbers" to me.  Too predictable, no personality, no stand-out riffs, and no unique songwriting skills and unique vocals like the original bands had.

That said, I still applaud them trying!  I hold out hope that some of them will put out something great eventually.  They just need to find their own sound within the genre instead of merely trying to recreate the past.

You'll be proven wrong VERY SOON.  Smile
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe 9/9/2020, 7:17 pm

So waiting for him to be proven wrong!Very Happy

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 10/9/2020, 12:33 am

Temple of Blood wrote:I wouldn't include that Meliah Rage album personally.  I think it is closer to US Power Metal.

I would add Hating Evil, Wickeds End,  Angel of Sodom, and Herd to modern thrash bands.  I know I am forgetting some too, especially from Brazil.  Maybe Mosh-pit Justice?

I'd hate for someone to judge our place in the Christian thrash scene before our new album comes out.  That will really tell the tale.

Betrayal/Martyr may be coming back, so that could be really exciting.  Not to mention Deathless.

(I won't include my own band here below, so I won't be too biased)

Top 10 Christian thrash bands
1. Tourniquet
2. Antithesis
3. Deliverance
4. Viking
5. Devastation
6. Seventh Angel
7. Sacrament
8. Betrayal / Martyr
9. Believer
10. Join the Dead
12. Catscan
13. Immortal
14. Hating Evil
15. Wickeds End
16. Deathless

Top 10 essential Christian thrash albums
1.  Tourniquet - Stop the Bleeding
2.  Antithesis - s/t
3.  Deliverance - Weapons of our Warfare
4. Viking - Man of Straw
5. Devastation - Idolatry
6. Seventh Angel - Lament for the Weary
7. Sacrament
8. Betrayal / Martyr
9. Believer - Dimensions
10. Join the Dead - s/t
12. Catscan  (I've finally heard the whole thing.  This may be getting a pro-press in the future!)
13. Immortal - Dead and Buried demo
14. Hating Evil - Rotten inside
15. Wickeds End - Temporal Pain demo
16. Deathless - Enslaved
An Antithesis fan!? That self titled is amazing!
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe 10/9/2020, 1:59 am

I need to revisit these guys!

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood, strangerhoncho and bgsully like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho 10/9/2020, 12:41 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:Modern thrash bands usually can't replicate the originals, because the times have passed.  Some of them may get the authentic sound of old thrash down, like Ritual Servant or Hating Evil, but it still usually comes across like "paint by numbers" to me.  Too predictable, no personality, no stand-out riffs, and no unique songwriting skills and unique vocals like the original bands had.

You'll be proven wrong VERY SOON.  Smile

I'd like nothing better!

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho 10/9/2020, 12:49 pm

average joe wrote:

I need to revisit these guys!

Strangely, I don't know if I ever gave these guys a listen or not!  I probably thought their name sounded like it would be power/prog to me so I probably never gave it a chance.  This track is good.  I'll have to give the album a go when I have time.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe 10/9/2020, 11:00 pm

It love the gritty vocals and growls at the 1:30 and 2:18 mark. In fact, would absolutely love to hear this type of mix of grit and melody on the new Temple of Blood to match the intensity of the music that I know will be there. It’s like a mixture of Shawn Pelata (Final Sign & Oracle) and Mike Torone (Sacrament). Absolutely killer vocal performance on that track and I consider myself very picky in that area.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood 10/9/2020, 11:24 pm

I liked this vocalist a lot too.  They should've stuck it out IMHO but their band leader quit and they couldn't continue.  Now he is in a Metallica tribute band, which to me seems like a waste of time for a guy with the rare ability to write great songs.  The vocalist did a guest spot somewhere but hasn't done much since parting ways with the band.  It was an honor having James play with us on "Overlord".  He was a very nice guy.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho 11/9/2020, 12:11 pm

I listened to the album last night.  Great musicianship and tunes, but I can't say I'm a fan of the vocals.  They're fine and he has nice variety but I don't like how he constantly drags out vowels.  Especially "oooooo."  Can't stand it, actually.  That's one of the things about power metal that usually keeps me away even if the music is thrashy.  Just a personal preference.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood 11/9/2020, 12:21 pm

Everybody is a critic of vocals.  Guitarists/bassists get away with murder!  Smile

The debut is a lot better anyway.  Hard to find though.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe 11/9/2020, 2:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I liked this vocalist a lot too.  They should've stuck it out IMHO but their band leader quit and they couldn't continue.  Now he is in a Metallica tribute band, which to me seems like a waste of time for a guy with the rare ability to write great songs.  The vocalist did a guest spot somewhere but hasn't done much since parting ways with the band.  It was an honor having James play with us on "Overlord".  He was a very nice guy.

“The vocalist did a guest spot somewhere but hasn't done much since parting ways with the band.”

Hmm... Perhaps he would want to do a little guest feature work on the next Temple if Blood.Laughing

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood 11/9/2020, 4:04 pm

average joe wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:I liked this vocalist a lot too.  They should've stuck it out IMHO but their band leader quit and they couldn't continue.  Now he is in a Metallica tribute band, which to me seems like a waste of time for a guy with the rare ability to write great songs.  The vocalist did a guest spot somewhere but hasn't done much since parting ways with the band.  It was an honor having James play with us on "Overlord".  He was a very nice guy.

“The vocalist did a guest spot somewhere but hasn't done much since parting ways with the band.”

Hmm... Perhaps he would want to do a little guest feature work on the next Temple if Blood.Laughing

I'd rather see he and Sean reunite again and do more work with Antithesis.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next