The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you look for in a band that you're willing to lay down money for?

+13
Snert I
Devon Hill
Ammocas
mothy
crucifyd
alldatndensum
heck
Fundy
eatbugs
average joe
Son of Nun
Frozen Fire
Temple of Blood
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you look for in a band that you're willing to lay down money for? Empty What do you look for in a band that you're willing to lay down money for?

Post by Temple of Blood Wed May 06, 2020 2:24 pm

I ask because we're contemplating shooting a music video for our upcoming album.  I'm a bit reluctant for a number of reasons, not least of which is cost.

Seems like everyone has one so it seems like something that fans really want in general.

What are all the factors that lead you to put down $$$ to buy a new digital/CD album from a band?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

What do you look for in a band that you're willing to lay down money for? Empty Re: What do you look for in a band that you're willing to lay down money for?

Post by Frozen Fire Wed May 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Really only 2 keys: music that I love and a noted Christian bend to the lyrics. 

Too many angry metalcore bands trying to reach their fanbase through identifying with their angst and forgetting the hope. Too many extreme bands (and bands in general) with a veiled, hidden message. I don't need Jesus per minute stuff I just want a clear bend to what you're doing. It shouldn't be a guessing game whether you faith impacts what you do.

Speaking toward what you brought up, I don't really care about videos but I do like lyric videos if I'm questioning if the band has a message. For example, I didn't buy the new Azusa because the material they put out before release had no Christian message. I wasn't going to put out money for it. When the album was released I checked the lyrics online and it seemed more anti-Christian/pointless than not.

Your band, no concern on that end. I'll buy the album no matter what.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

What do you look for in a band that you're willing to lay down money for? Empty Re: What do you look for in a band that you're willing to lay down money for?

Post by Temple of Blood Wed May 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:Really only 2 keys: music that I love and a noted Christian bend to the lyrics.

Your band, no concern on that end. I'll buy the album no matter what.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

I was going to buy the latest Sardis but then I saw that it had no Christian lyrics really.  Love their sound, but I passed.

The new Once Dead tracks sounded great to me but they were just asking too much for digital tracks IMHO.   So that kept me from buying it.  If it gets pressed to CD at a decent price I'll probably eventually pick it up.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Wed May 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I was going to buy the latest Sardis but then I saw that it had no Christian lyrics really.  Love their sound, but I passed.

The new Once Dead tracks sounded great to me but they were just asking too much for digital tracks IMHO.   So that kept me from buying it.  If it gets pressed to CD at a decent price I'll probably eventually pick it up.

Same.

I'll pay more for a physical release so long as it has the lyrics. I really don't like digital media but if I get it and there are no lyrics (especially if it's death or black metal) I'm incredibly disappointed. I want to read along. It's part of the exprience.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm a bit of a collector so my opinion may not be the norm these days. I'll buy anything I like on CD and if I really like it, I'll buy it on vinyl as well. Before I decide if I like an album, I just need to be able to listen to a few songs on Bandcamp, YouTube, etc. and see the lyrics to make sure they're acceptable. I don't care about music videos at all as long as audio tracks are available to sample.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Fri May 08, 2020 7:35 pm

It’s all about the music. Make hard driving music with good/dynamic vocals (terribly lacking in the scene) and the material will sell itself, and possibly even gain some love in the secular market. It’s that simple really.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat May 09, 2020 12:29 am

There is always more good music to buy then there will ever be money to buy it or time to enjoy it.  My filters:

First, it has to be Christian or "Christian-friendly."  I don't mind the Christians-in-a-band thing, but it does bother me when a band starts as Christian then distances themselves (Sardis is a good example, also Believer and Teramaze), especially when they dodge the question.
Second, physical CDs.  I agree with Frozen Fire, I like lyrics and liner notes.  I haven't yet bought a digital album or song (although that may change).
Third, good music.  This means both genre and quality.  I'm not a production Nazi, but I do have a bottom line and there has to be talent.

I don't know if that really answers your question.  I don't care about music videos and won't pay for one.  I know if you put out more music like Overlord or Prepare for the Judgement... I'm in, I don't need a video to tell me I like it.  A video MIGHT be a way to go to get your music noticed?  Putting one on YouTube might be more appealing to some than sound clips.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sat May 09, 2020 1:46 am

What do you look for in a band that you're willing to lay down money for?

Guy Ritter
Rockin Loud Thumbs up
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by heck Sat May 09, 2020 4:52 pm

All killer no filler

heck
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Sat May 09, 2020 5:39 pm

“There is always more good music to buy then there will ever be money to buy it”

I wish that was the case for me. I can’t remember the last Christian album good enough to buy. Actually, I thought it was going to be Deliverance “Subersive,” but it didn’t live up to the “return to form” expectations. I still hold out hope for Deathless, Temple of Blood, Detritus, and to a lesser extent Demolish and Consecrator, but who knows when/if we will ever hear samples or if those will ever actually make it to the finish line. Hopefully, Ritual Servant takes a step forward with their next one as well, as there is a lot to like about them. Beyond that, I think a better question might be, when was the last great, or even really enjoyable (i.e., stand the test of time) Christian Metal album made? It’s been a long time!

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by heck Sat May 09, 2020 7:29 pm

The last great Christian album is Tourniquet Gazing at Medusa (2018). Get it!, Read the reviews right on this forum.

heck
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat May 09, 2020 9:32 pm

I look for music that I love, a vocalist that can sing and not rely on screaming like so many modern bands, and a message of hope in Christ.

As far as styles, I tend to go for something more in the hair/glam styles of the 80s or just straightforward metal like Saint and others in that vein.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Sun May 10, 2020 4:54 am

this sounds weird but I've found that the way to see if I'm going to like a record is to play it in the background while I'm doing something (usually on the computer). If I "forget" it's playing then it is something I like / will like. If I'm aware of it, it's like the music is grating on me and I no like...

not sure if that makes sense, but it makes sense to me  ; )
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Sun May 10, 2020 1:31 pm

crucifyd wrote:this sounds weird but I've found that the way to see if I'm going to like a record is to play it in the background while I'm doing something (usually on the computer). If I "forget" it's playing then it is something I like / will like. If I'm aware of it, it's like the music is grating on me and I no like...

That's interesting because I do this, but in the opposite way. If I have something on while doing something else and it doesn't catch my attention, I might not end up liking it (though I try to give repeated listens or focus solely on it if I think there's potential). If something is so good that it catches my attention and I can't help but listen I know I'll want to buy it.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon May 11, 2020 8:51 am

eatbugs wrote:First, it has to be Christian or "Christian-friendly."  I don't mind the Christians-in-a-band thing, but it does bother me when a band starts as Christian then distances themselves (Sardis is a good example, also Believer and Teramaze), especially when they dodge the question.

That also bothers me a lot, especially in the case of Believer.  Funny thing to me is that when Christian bands become "Christians in a band" it doesn't even net them any new fans!  Case in point, Believer and Stryper - "Against the Law".

I don't know if that really answers your question.  I don't care about music videos and won't pay for one.  I know if you put out more music like Overlord or Prepare for the Judgement... I'm in, I don't need a video to tell me I like it.  A video MIGHT be a way to go to get your music noticed?  Putting one on YouTube might be more appealing to some than sound clips.

Yeah, it answers my question.  I appreciate that old ToB fans are still interested in what we're doing, but it's hard to reach new fans and I'm not sure now.  Right now I'm considering making a music video for YouTube and releasing a single for Spotify.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon May 11, 2020 8:55 am

average joe wrote:I wish that was the case for me. I can’t remember the last Christian album good enough to buy.  I still hold out hope for Deathless, Temple of Blood, Detritus, and to a lesser extent Demolish and Consecrator, but who knows when/if we will ever hear samples or if those will ever actually make it to the finish line. Hopefully, Ritual Servant takes a step forward with their next one as well, as there is a lot to like about them. Beyond that, I think a better question might be, when was the last great, or even really enjoyable (i.e., stand the test of time) Christian Metal album made? It’s been a long time!

I agree with you.

I understand your skepticism but we are making real progress on a new album.  It just takes a ton of time and Christians typically prioritize family more than their secular counterparts and that takes a lot of our time and energy.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 am

crucifyd wrote:this sounds weird but I've found that the way to see if I'm going to like a record is to play it in the background while I'm doing something (usually on the computer). If I "forget" it's playing then it is something I like / will like. If I'm aware of it, it's like the music is grating on me and I no like...

Interesting.

It's the opposite for me.  If I hear an album and it sticks out when I'm trying to work, then I know I will like it.

Case in point, I bought "Firepower" after holding out for a long time.  Listening to it at work …. nothing but the first track even made me take notice.

I like albums that are catchy and provocative in some way.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 am

Im pretty much an all digital now for many reasons and my biggest thing is a way to hear atleast a decent sample size of the album before buying, I have purchased a few clunkers lately and in the past where they only let you hear there better songs and then your stuck with alot of filler. I know there are issues for the band when its available to stream etc and Im not advocating for giving it away. I have a small budget and want to get the biggest bang for my buck. 

As far as videos I could care less. 

God Bless brother and cant wait for the next album
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Tue May 12, 2020 7:53 am

I tend to agree with Crucifyd’s method of background music...if nothing(new music) sounds grating then I’ll probably check em out...although if something catches my ears while I’m working or doing something else then it definitely has my attention.

As far as videos go, I don’t put much attention into them...actually, I’ve watched a few videos of new songs (Tourniquet, Michael Sweet, Stryper, etc...)where the video left a plain or not impressive impression in my head about the song. But when I listened to the song on the cd, I totally loved the song....Weird but true!

So, take your time, I think most fans just want a well produced head bangin catchy album with decent artwork and lyrics.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Tue May 12, 2020 7:55 am

^ But not too much time!lol!
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon Hill Wed May 13, 2020 3:00 pm

This is what I look for:

1. Christian lyrics (or Christians in a band or whatever sometimes).  The better the lyrics, the more I will want to buy it.

2. Good music with good production.

3. I highly prefer if it is available at one of the online distributors.  Since shipping to Canada is quite expensive, I usually wait to make larger purchases to bundle them and save on shipping.  It is rare that I would buy a CD directly from an artist (unless I really like them and there are no other options through a distributor).  The sad fact is that if I buy it directly from an artist, I'm probably going to be paying $10-$15 Canadian dollars just in shipping for one CD.  I find it very hard to justify that.

4. If it's on CD.  I might be different than a lot of other people, but I want a CD, not a download.  I can count the number of downloads on my two hands that I've purchased....and the only reason I purchased them is because they are a really good band, and they had no CD option.

5. The price in general.  Sometimes if a CD is too much money, I will tend to more likely pass on it, but if it's a reasonable price I will buy it.  Some people think it's bad to charge lower amounts since that will make people not value the product, and therefore not buy it.  For me it's the opposite - if there is a CD that is a good price, I will tend to desire to buy it even more.  Sometimes if the CD is a really good price, I'll buy more than one copy to give to friends or whatever too.  So sometimes if the price is right, I think it can ultimately result in more sales for a band, and more money for them (and selling more CDs in total).
Devon Hill
Devon Hill
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Wed May 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Make a rare great Christian Metal album and you will catch new fans. A single sounds like a fantastic idea to keep existing fans interested, and, if it smokes, you are likely to gain some new attention. I think TOB’s best work could still be yet to come.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Thu May 14, 2020 2:59 pm

1. The music has to grab me. That means I have to hear a good amount of the music first. No buying a pig in a poke for me anymore - even with familiar bands I like. For me several long enough sound samples and at least one or two full songs are more important than one video single.
2. At least christian-friendly lyrics, but I tend to focus on albums with christian lyrics. Good lyrics can take any song to a higher level.
3. Decent production
4. Availability as a CD at a decent price (incl. shipping)
5. If a CD is not possible, availability as lossless digital files (bandcamp Thumbs up ) - but the chance that I'll buy it is lower than with physical albums. I avoid buying mp3, though I convert my music to mp3 - I want to have a lossless "original".

[Edit] 6. Ah...and if possible make it a whole album, not just an E.P. It is rare that I buy E.P.s. I always expect the songs to appear on a whole album later and I don't like to buy songs twice.

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon May 18, 2020 9:25 am

mothy wrote:God Bless brother and cant wait for the next album

Thanks man.  Hope you guys like it.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon May 18, 2020 9:25 am

Ammocas wrote:^ But not too much time!lol!

Wink    I understand, believe me!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next