The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Skillet-Legendary

+11
Black Rider
oldschooldoom
jaqual
Kerrick
eatbugs
Hardcore Christian
Frozen Fire
arttieTHE1manparty
rtz
alldatndensum
WildWorld
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Skillet-Legendary Empty New Skillet-Legendary

Post by WildWorld Wed May 08, 2019 8:31 am

New song:

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

New Skillet-Legendary Empty Re: New Skillet-Legendary

Post by alldatndensum Thu May 09, 2019 6:11 am

I like the song, but the riffs just are forgettable.  Skillet can do far better than that.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rtz Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 am

I'm a Skillet fan, but I couldn't get into their last album Uleashed either. This tunes sounds like the songs on Unleashed. Generic and forgettable.  Skillet can do so much better.........Corporate modern rock

rtz
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10, 2019 9:42 am

Im  not overly familiar with Skillet I do have an album by them and theres a song called Hero (i think) that i love. I need to scope more into them because i think its a band i could get into

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Mon May 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Lol...I laugh when people bag on Skillet. They have found a formula and style that works perfectly for them, their fanbase, and for a decent amount of airplay. A lot of people forget they went through about 3 different styles before settling on this modern hard rock sound. But as they have changed members and solidified their line-up, this is what works well for who they are.

Personally, I thought Unleashed was pretty good, and Beyond Unleashed had a couple more really strong tracks (plus a few useless remixes). I really came on board with the band following Collide, when they found their harder-edged side once again. Their debut is pretty good, but more post grunge than Collide, Comatose, and everything after.

To experience Skillet appropriately you have to see them live, in my opinion.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty
The Strongest Man In The World

http://www.Glitter2Gutter.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 pm

I've never been into Skillet. Not my style at any point even when they were "heavy."

The only thing that bothers me about them is that when I say I like Christian metal EVERYONE replies "You mean like Skillet?" Given their current sound it couldn't be much farther from what I prefer.

It's the curse of the 90's early 2000's when I told people I loved death metal, meaning Obituary, Dismember, Malevolent Creation and they replied, "Like Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson?"

Skillet is that band for me. I'm so tired of telling people I don't like them that it makes me wish somehow I did. The whole debacle speaks well of their success. People know them Christian or not. The non-Christians tend to say "that band that sounds like Disturbed."
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon May 13, 2019 10:16 pm

rtz wrote:Generic and forgettable.
My first thought when listening to this
arttieTHE1manparty wrote:They have found a formula and style that works perfectly for them, their fanbase, and for a decent amount of airplay.
Which is pretty awesome I'm glad that they have become a mainstream success and stayed outspoken about their faith,
but personally the song did nothing for me, if I hear some other singles that I like, I might pick up the album

Unleashed I thought was a really solid release but compared to Collide and Comatose the songs just don't grab me like they used to.
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon May 13, 2019 10:49 pm

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:Lol...I laugh when people bag on Skillet.  They have found a formula and style that works perfectly for them, their fanbase, and for a decent amount of airplay.  A lot of people forget they went through about 3 different styles before settling on this modern hard rock sound.  But  as they have changed members and solidified their line-up, this is what works well for who they are.

Personally, I thought Unleashed was pretty good, and Beyond Unleashed had a couple more really strong tracks (plus a few useless remixes).  I really came on board with the band following Collide, when they found their harder-edged side once again.  Their debut is pretty good, but more post grunge than Collide, Comatose, and everything after.

To experience Skillet appropriately you have to see them live,  in my opinion.  

Arttie

These are the three topics I was going to post on, but with a different take.

I like them and I like the sound but they're getting into the catch-22 of consistency.  If they (or any band) changes its sound the fans revolt, but if they don't change their sound they run into the issue of sameness in their music.  That's where Skillet is at for me.  Pretty much any song from Collide on could go on any other album and no one would notice the difference.

Beyond Unleashed makes me want to hold off on any new one.  I like deluxe editions but won't buy an album twice.  I think I'll wait 2 years to see if it comes out with bonus tracks.

I saw them live for the first time last year and it was a little disappointing.  I don't like For King and Country at all, but their stage show as an opening act was far superior to Skillet's, who just stood on stage and played their songs (yes, the rotating drum stand was cool).  I felt there was something missing from the live performance.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 pm

Odd, I've seen Skillet multiple times and have never seen a show like you've described. John is usually all over the place; he descended from the arena ceiling to start their show with Invincible at last years WinterJam, with multiple "fake Johns" popping up on stage. And he had these enormous smile cannons strapped to his arms during Sick Of It. Plus Kori and Seth were on risers that went up and down like pistons, Jen was wheeled around the arena on something of a massive chariot contraption...and this was on a scaled down show of only 9 songs or so. I wonder if they had limitations put on them by the venue you were at.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 am

The only thing that bothers me about them is that when I say I like Christian metal EVERYONE replies "You mean like Skillet?" Given their current sound it couldn't be much farther from what I prefer.

Sadly not everybody is musically educated like we are

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 am

I honestly dont think I've ever heard Skillet referred to as metal.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty

Back to top Go down

Post by rtz Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 am

Skillet is fantastic live.  I've seent them a few times and they were great.  I even dug Rise.  Unleashed, I just couldn't get into.  Seemed like every song was purely written and formulated to be an anthem hit.  It just seems like they almost tried too hard to get hits.   I'm going to go back and give it a re-listen today in my travels to see if it grabs me.

rtz
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Tue May 14, 2019 9:13 am

I like Rise also. Unleashed isnt my favorite but it's very good. I also like parts of Alien Youth. It's so close between Comatose and Collide for me. I wish Comatose wasnt basically ignored in concert.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue May 14, 2019 12:09 pm

No fake Johns, no "all over the place," no chariots.  Who knows why.  Maybe I'm comparing their set to the stage show of For King and Country too.  Skillet seemed anticlimactic after that show.

Collide is my favorite - the song "Collide" is my favorite Skillet song and that may make the difference.  I like Unleashed better than Rise or Awake.  I think those two just have too many ballads.

I haven't heard Skillet called metal but a close friend told me a Christian concert promoter he knows called Relient K "hard rock."

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:The only thing that bothers me about them is that when I say I like Christian metal EVERYONE replies "You mean like Skillet?" Given their current sound it couldn't be much farther from what I prefer.

Ha I get that very often too.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by jaqual Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 pm

+1

I really like them but they're definitely not metal. I had hoped that from their "punk-y" first album they would drift more into metal, but alas...

People always say"like Skillet" or P.O.D. or but the same people if I just say "metal" will say "like Disturbed" or Tool, etc. Radio-friendly stuff. Not metal.

Back on topic... I do like the new song, but I'm joining the chorus here. They're music seems like it's being produced to fit a sound, not really written around the lyrics much to give it feeling.

jaqual
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 am

rtz wrote:I'm a Skillet fan, but I couldn't get into their last album Uleashed either. This tunes sounds like the songs on Unleashed. Generic and forgettable.  Skillet can do so much better.........Corporate modern rock
I am NOT a skillet fan for the reasons you mention above. I've been to a concert only because it was a festival and I was there to see true metal bands before and after them.
Yesterday on my long drive (150 miles), the local secular station played one of their new songs and then gently bashed them for NOT containing any Jesus lyrics. But KLOS did say they liked the music. Understand, KLOS has always bashed any Christian song or band no matter how hard they rock.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:10 am

While I thought the original song was rather bland, the overall album is solid.  I haven't listened to them in a while and may pull this out later this week just for fun.

I have seen Skillet a couple of times.  They are usually highly energetic.  They don't just play the songs that make CCM radio, either.  They bring a rock show.

Are the metal?  Who cares?  In our modern day, people think this is metal and what we listened to in the 70s and 80s is hard rock.  Like we have said around here for many years, "If it jams, it jams!"
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Not the biggest Skillet fan, like a few songs here and there, but I appreciate they are still standing strong while so many others have caved.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:38 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:I've never been into Skillet. Not my style at any point even when they were "heavy."

It's the curse of the 90's early 2000's when I told people I loved death metal, meaning Obituary, Dismember, Malevolent Creation and they replied, "Like Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson?"

Skillet is that band for me. I'm so tired of telling people I don't like them that it makes me wish somehow I did. The whole debacle speaks well of their success. People know them Christian or not. The non-Christians tend to say "that band that sounds like Disturbed."
And they aren't even metal. I love Skillet but they are definitely rock
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:46 pm

Lol I’ve experienced the same thing. When a lot of people hear “Christian metal,” the first thing that comes to their mind is Skillet, or occasionally some “core” band like Demon Hunter. But to be honest it doesn’t bother me that much, in a way it may be better for the “true” metal bands to be somewhat less well known. Because from what I have seen, large amounts of fame tends to ruin bands, with all the pressure to sound mainstream. Although it it kind of annoying to always have to say “no, not like Skillet” when someone finds out you like Christian metal lol
Nothing against Skillet or Demon Hunter btw, not my cup of tea but I know a lot of people like them and I respect that

Last edited by seth on Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:58 pm

I think Skillet are great, and love how open John is about his faith.  Whilst I'll never be a huge fan, I do really enjoy the albums I own (I have about 1/2 of their discography)
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:14 pm

seth wrote:Lol I’ve experienced the same thing. When a lot of people hear “Christian metal,” the first thing that comes to their mind is Skillet, or occasionally some “core” band like Demon Hunter. But to be honest it doesn’t bother me that much, in a way it may be better for the “true” metal bands to be somewhat less well known. Because from what I have seen, large amounts of fame tends to ruin bands, with all the pressure to sound mainstream. Although it it kind of annoying to always have to say “no, not like Skillet” when someone finds out you like Christian metal lol
Nothing against Skillet or Demon Hunter btw, not my cup of tea but I know a lot of people like them and I respect that
Just saying, check out Comatose by Skillet. The song. The album is great, but the song is what I mean. It's got great violins, chorus, and is the only song I've given a 10/10.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:27 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:Lol I’ve experienced the same thing. When a lot of people hear “Christian metal,” the first thing that comes to their mind is Skillet, or occasionally some “core” band like Demon Hunter. But to be honest it doesn’t bother me that much, in a way it may be better for the “true” metal bands to be somewhat less well known. Because from what I have seen, large amounts of fame tends to ruin bands, with all the pressure to sound mainstream. Although it it kind of annoying to always have to say “no, not like Skillet” when someone finds out you like Christian metal lol
Just saying, check out Comatose by Skillet. The song. The album is great, but the song is what I mean. It's got great violins, chorus, and is the only song I've given a 10/10.
I have heard Comatose, still not my cup of tea but I can see how you’d like it if you’re into modern rock
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:29 pm

Collide is probably my favorite of their albums, with Comatose as a close second.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next