The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on reissues...

4 posters

Go down

Thoughts on reissues... Empty Thoughts on reissues...

Post by Soldier777 Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:41 pm

There have been a wave on reissues on bands like Bloodgood, Daniel Band, Deliverance, Guardian, Fear Not/LoveLife, Holy Soldier, Jerusalem, Shout/Tamplin, Sacred Warrior, etc. I'm glad albums were reissued like the first 6 Jerusalem albums and those who don't have a vinyl or CD version of some of these can now get them. However, in recent years I have got most of classic the albums I'm was looking for and once I get the albums I find out a few months or a year later there is a reissue/remaster planned by Boones, Girder or Roxx. Then If I order the album I'm deciding if I want to keep the original with the reissue or sell it. Do any of you have this issue? If you have the original, do you sometimes consider getting the reissue?
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on reissues... Empty Re: Thoughts on reissues...

Post by eatbugs Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:25 pm

Good, complicated question.

I have a general rule that I only buy a CD once.  That means Compact Disc.  If I have a classic on cassette I will buy the reissue to upgrade the format (Fear Not, Love Life).  If I already have the music on CD I generally won't buy it again, remastered or not.  That isn't worth it to me.

Where this really matters to me is with bonus tracks.  Bonus tracks on a reissue are a pet peeve of mine: if I already have the CD, I'm not rich and won't buy the whole thing again for just 1-2 extra songs.  This means that as a fan there are songs or versions of songs I will never get to hear (example: Altar Boys - GLM reissue).  I have the same issue with bands releasing deluxe editions of albums a year after the initial release.  Disciple and Mortification probably have a whole album's worth of material each I won't get to hear because I bought standard CDs when they came out.  If the deluxe comes out at the same time I will get that one over the standard release (Demon Hunter; Skillet until Unleashed).  

I WILL buy it again for a whole extra disc of music though.  Examples: I bought the Eternal Ryte anthology when I already had World Requiem.  Same for the 77's Pray Naked and Sticks and Stones and Daniel Amos Horrendous Disc.

In general, I'm glad the classics are getting reissued.  Many of the old CDs are too expensive on the secondary market to be worth it and Roxx or Retroactive putting them back in print keeps the classics accessible.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:30 pm

I dont mind remasters and reissues i do take exception to re-recording an already existing album  thats just me though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:18 am

Warzawa wrote:I dont mind remasters and reissues i do take exception to re-recording an already existing album  thats just me though

I usually feel the same way about re-records, but I think Stryper's "Second Coming" was exceptional

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:19 am

I go back and forth on reissues...but I actually just bought a ton of reissues of cds I already own. 

It usually depends on how much I like the original and how the original sounds....even if the original sounds great but there are some cool bonus songs on the reissue, I'm in. Especially if it is newly recorded tracks (like Daniel Band did) or they throw on a demo release.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:24 am

eatbugs wrote:
Where this really matters to me is with bonus tracks.  Bonus tracks on a reissue are a pet peeve of mine: if I already have the CD, I'm not rich and won't buy the whole thing again for just 1-2 extra songs.  This means that as a fan there are songs or versions of songs I will never get to hear (example: Altar Boys - GLM reissue).  I have the same issue with bands releasing deluxe editions of albums a year after the initial release.  Disciple and Mortification probably have a whole album's worth of material each I won't get to hear because I bought standard CDs when they came out.  If the deluxe comes out at the same time I will get that one over the standard release (Demon Hunter; Skillet until Unleashed).  

Along those same lines is one of my pet peeves, when a cd release gets a bonus track on the European or Japanese version and not on the US version. I despise that.

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 am

If I have an original, I keep it for the most part.  If there are quality bonus tracks, though, I will buy the new one.  I don't want poorly sounding demos or live tracks.  I have been slowly remastering the MP3s of most of my collection and typically enjoy mine over the remastered versions.  Many of those seem too bass heavy, and I play bass!  So, unless the album can be seriously brought up in sonic clarity and have great bonus tracks, I skip it.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:00 am

Bought4Life wrote:
Warzawa wrote:I dont mind remasters and reissues i do take exception to re-recording an already existing album  thats just me though

I usually feel the same way about re-records, but I think Stryper's "Second Coming" was exceptional

I'll never know i don't consider myself a fan of Stryper anymore

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Bought4Life wrote:

Really?  I feel the opposite.  If a re-record is an improvement I'm in.  I like the original Stryper recordings.  The only ones I thought were real improvements were the few from YABA.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Re-issues, re-issues, what is going on?

Looking back for at least the last 2 years, most Christian releases have been re-issues. Did we run out of ideas for new albums? Are there relatively few new artists making albums? Did people not get the albums the first time around? Is the re-mastering that much better? Were they put out in only a very limited number the first time? An opportunity to release it on vinyl. I don't know but it sounds to me like it makes dollars and SENSE to someone. Check out this link to see the Christian scene releases lately https://www.angelicwarlord.com/release%20dates/releasedates.html
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down