The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crucifix - I contacted the band and got a brief "history of" from the bassist

2 posters

Go down

Crucifix - I contacted the band and got a brief "history of" from the bassist Empty Crucifix - I contacted the band and got a brief "history of" from the bassist

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:52 pm

I contacted the band via Bandcamp, asking for more info on them, and I got a reply back from the bassist.

Here is the response:

Hi Dean, thanks for contacting me and for purchasing & sharing our music.

[my Crucifix story]
Well, (from my point of view) I first came to faith in Christ Jesus when I was 19 yrs old (in 1982.) 
In 1983 I was in a local music store and saw an add for guitarist and bass player for a Christian Metal Band.. (it said) 
Don't Let the word "Christian" Scare You! - I had to check that out. Scott and Anthony had been in another band 
playing in bars and they had both came to faith in Christ, but didn't want to keep playing secular music and decided 
to begin a Christian Rock/Metal band. I spoke with Scott and Anthony over the phone and was invited to a 
practice/audition.- Scott (later reminded me) that I showed up wearing shinny blue (80's pants) and white Capezio shoes.. 
and I had short hair!! We laughed about it later on, and Scott said it took a couple of practices to convince them that 
I was right for the band. That began a lifelong friendship and we became the best of friends. 

Now I must say, when I went to that very first practice/audition.. I was totally blown away by the songs Scott had written.
I had to pick my jaw off the ground several times> Seriously, nothing like any "Christian" music I'd ever heard before, as 
It would be another year before Stryper would hit the scene. 

Once my place was solidified in Crucifix we began searching for a bassist. We played several shows (in those early days) 
without a bass player. Scott had a friend from Michigan he had gone to high school with who came to Kansas City for the summer. His name was Mike Perbillski; who happened to be another guitarist. We had already began our studio EP without a bassist. Because we now had 3 guitar players, I then decided that I would make the switch to playing bass and with Scott's help 
I made the transition.  

We shopped our EP to nearly all the Christian labels and were offered a record deal with Guardian Records. However,
once we had an attorney review the contract, we decided to pass. Their "offer" was to take ownership of our master recording,
give us 1,000.00 with a 20% return of sales; AFTER they recouped the costs of P & D. PLUS we would be required to 
perform 50 concerts a year at our own expense. - Looking back now, sure it was a terrible offer... but had we done it, we would have had our product on the market and possibly been picked up later by another record company. Hindsight and what ifs. 

After the summer of 84 Crucifix became a 3 piece Power-Trio and would remain so until the band dispersed in 1996. There was no falling out or differences of creativity. It was just life. Marriages, families, kids & jobs just kinda squeezed the band out. There were a few "Spinal Tap" moments for sure.. LOL but no regrets. 

By 1990 the music scene had turned to grunge and pop-metal. Crucifix attempted a name change to Outcry and had a song "Vessles Unto Honor" on the Big Rage Volume 1 Compilation from Pure Metal. 

We never promoted ourselves as Outcry and everyone knows us as Crucifix so we reverted and remain Crucifix. 

Crucifix was a small group who loves the Lord and shared the gospel through it's music boldly and never took advantage of others. We read the Word together, prayed and submitted our ministry, songs and performances unto the Lord for His glory alone. We didn't strive for grand success in the music business. It was just 3 guys working out our salvation and doing what we knew to do. 

There are some good stories I could tell, maybe for another time. Scott went home to be with the Lord earlier this year. I miss him and look forward to worshiping along side one day soon. He was that friend who stuck closer than a brother. 

Anyways, I'm rambling... I have been considering doing a short-run on vinyl or CD's later this year. Many folks are discovering Crucifix for the first time. There are some unreleased tracks that (God willing) may see the light of day sometime. ;-) I hope this helps. 

Keep in touch.

God Bless, Doug

Last edited by Bought4Life on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Crucifix - I contacted the band and got a brief "history of" from the bassist Empty Re: Crucifix - I contacted the band and got a brief "history of" from the bassist

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:02 pm

This has been edited...

removed the duplicate posting of the email because I was able to highlight the first post (so I could see the text...it was blending with the background in edit mode) then I was able to remove the html language being forced due to the Discogs link. This corrected the text

Last edited by Bought4Life on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Crucifix - I contacted the band and got a brief "history of" from the bassist Empty Re: Crucifix - I contacted the band and got a brief "history of" from the bassist

Post by Black Rider Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:01 pm

It'd be cool to hear more stuff, liking what they have on Bandcamp.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing this!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:24 am

Temple of Blood wrote:Thanks a lot for sharing this!

Thanks! It was pretty cool of him to share all that with me based off a simple email I sent him via Bandcamp. I actually even wrote back to get his permission to post the email here and he was cool with it.

It would be really nice if anyone here who likes their sound sends him a message via Bandcamp and lets him know. The more positive input he gets, the better the chance to get a cd release and more music

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down