The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tourniquet's new vocalist? (Deen Castronovo in at least one song)

+10
bjorn agin
sentient 6
Wigeon
Bahana
Black Rider
Superjuice
timekeeper
mothy
Temple of Blood
Airola
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tourniquet's new vocalist? (Deen Castronovo in at least one song) - Page 2 Empty Re: Tourniquet's new vocalist? (Deen Castronovo in at least one song)

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:04 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I am surprised that anyone truly expects a band to sound exactly the same after 30 years.

Some bands come close enough.  Listened to Accept lately?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Tourniquet's new vocalist? (Deen Castronovo in at least one song) - Page 2 Empty Re: Tourniquet's new vocalist? (Deen Castronovo in at least one song)

Post by alldatndensum Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:I am surprised that anyone truly expects a band to sound exactly the same after 30 years.

Some bands come close enough.  Listened to Accept lately?

Not since I was a teen.  His voice with time grated on my nerves.  Of all the secular bands I have checked out over the past few years, Accept wasn't one of them.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Livna wrote:Sure but maybe it’s time to change the name

So:

There is a guy who is one of the three founding members of the band. There is a guitar player who has been in the band for over 20 years.
These two people still co-operate making new music. Both of them thinks certain albums they make are Tourniquet albums. Both of them likes the band being called Tourniquet.

A fan of Tourniquet comes in and says: "you should change the name of your band because I don't like your new songs being called Tourniquet songs."

Surely this fan of Tourniquet is the authority to say what Tourniquet is and what Tourniquet should be and surely both Ted and Aaron will think: "gee, I think this guy is right - it's not us, the band members from 20-30 years ago, who should get to define what the band is supposed to be all about and what name we should be using - it's certainly the fan's duty and right to make that definition and decide on the name."

Wink

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Livna Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Just my opinion, that’s all. To me after Guy and Gary left Tourniquet, the band had a different sound.  Not saying it’s bad or good but to me it just seemed like a different band especially with Ted as the only original member.
Livna
Livna
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Livna wrote:Just my opinion, that’s all. To me after Guy and Gary left Tourniquet, the band had a different sound.  Not saying it’s bad or good but to me it just seemed like a different band especially with Ted as the only original member.

Yeah, I understand and agree. The first three albums - well, I would even include the fourth album to this set - are heavy metal classics. None of the later albums rise high enough to get that accolade even though they are great albums (maybe Microscopic View could be seen as a postmodern metal classic though - but it's still not the same as the early albums).

Guy Ritter is one of my favorite singers ever and the group with Ted, Gary, Guy, Victor and Erik had a special magic that was gone the moment the group got broken. The group was still excellent but this special "x factor", so to speak, was gone. Part of it is probably because of nostalgia, but still...

So yeah, I totally understand what you mean. However, it's still quite funny and doesn't really make much sense for fans to call, demand or hope a band to change the name. It's completely the band member's own personal business to do whatever they want with the band name - no matter if it's Axl Rose alone with Guns and Roses or Ted Kirkpatrick alone with Tourniquet (and currently there is Aaron Querra too). And I think they should have that right as long as they own the rights to use the name.

I don't mean to be too serious about this though so I hope I didn't come across like that. I'm half serious and half kidding. I understand what you mean but thought to joke about it a bit as when you really think about it, it doesn't really make that much sense Smile

Oh well, this board could use a fiery Tourniquet debate though to get some action here Very Happy
I remember the days when Tourniquet threads became so heated and controversial the subject ended up being heavily moderated and people felt the need to even open a "Tourniquet Uncensored" board. That was like the Wild West of Tourniquet discussion!

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:40 pm

I understand that after guy and gary's departure, Tourniquet went day by day into a direction of an one man band.

At the time Antisept Bloodbath was released, Ted showed a video in which apparently shows that Ted did all the writing, plus drums, plus bass guitars, plus guitars. He would send the guitar tracks to Aaron, and he would just add leads and redo all the guitar work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:51 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:I understand that after guy and gary's departure, Tourniquet went day by day into a direction of an one man band.

At the time Antisept Bloodbath was released, Ted showed a video in which apparently shows that Ted did all the writing, plus drums, plus bass guitars, plus guitars. He would send the guitar tracks to Aaron, and he would just add leads and redo all the guitar work.

Aaron played all bass tracks on Antiseptic Bloodbath except one about a minute long part in Lost Language of Andamans which was played by Ted.

Aaron wrote two songs on that album too: Duplicitous Endeavor and Carried Away on Uncertain Wings - Luke wrote the lyrics for those but Aaron wrote the music.

Ted has played some of the guitars in Tourniquet records since Stop the Bleeding. The rhythm guitars you hear on that album are played by both Gary and Ted. They always had the rule that whoever can play the parts the best will play them on record, so some of them were played by Ted. Gary himself has confirmed this in interviews and said Ted was good playing guitar even back then. I would guess Ted played the songs he wrote and Gary played the songs he wrote. There could be some overlap in that but it would make the most sense that the one who has written the song would be the best in knowing how to play them. There are also songs that Guy wrote and I guess he could've played some guitar parts too but those songs ended up being played by either Gary or Ted or both.

It was actually only during Microscopic View when most or all of the guitars in a Tourniquet album were played by the official guitarist of the band. I remember Ted saying in interviews that Aaron is so precise with his playing that he could play all the songs exactly the way they are supposed to play and that's why he does all the rhythm guitar tracks. Ted specifically said this is the first time it has happened with the band. The next album, Where Moth and Rust Destroy, was obviously fully played by Ted (the rhythm guitars - not the solos) because Aaron wasn't in the band at that point. But anyway, Microscopic View and Antiseptic Bloodbath are the only Tourniquet albums where the rhythm guitars were all played by the main guitar player in the band. Onward to Freedom was again all by Ted but that's because it was originally supposed to be a solo album for Ted.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:46 pm

It's not a problem of who plays, it's who helps write.  Ted clearly needs some co-songwriters IMHO.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm honestly just hoping this album doesn't turn into a mess. I didn't really care for Onward To Freedom. Ironically, for an album against turning animals into pieces and parts, the album was exactly that. It was pieces and parts all scattered and mixed together.

When this all started I was excited about the prospect of a different vocalist. I liked Luke on Vanishing Lessons and though I didn't care for Crawl To China much he was fine there also. Since that time he's always done too much "acting" with his voice, changing it up song to song and within a song. I guess he tried to much the mood of a lot of Ted's manic songwriting but I'm not sure that was necessary. Further, I'd be ok with that if I liked everything he tried but I didn't. Luke's got a great voice but I didn't always like how he used it.

Now, with Dean on the title track I'm having a hard time imagining how this album could be consistent in any manner. How could Dean's vocals possibly fit with whoever does the rest? I can't even imagine how he even fits with the band in the first place. Hopefully it's amazing for what it is but I'm really not looking forward to what comes of this in the end. I'll just be hoping for the best with each new announcement while being prepared for potential great disappointment. So hoping this doesn't turn out bad. I can't see how they'll go on if it does.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:I'm honestly just hoping this album doesn't turn into a mess. I didn't really care for Onward To Freedom. Ironically, for an album against turning animals into pieces and parts, the album was exactly that. It was pieces and parts all scattered and mixed together.

When this all started I was excited about the prospect of a different vocalist. I liked Luke on Vanishing Lessons and though I didn't care for Crawl To China much he was fine there also. Since that time he's always done too much "acting" with his voice, changing it up song to song and within a song. I guess he tried to much the mood of a lot of Ted's manic songwriting but I'm not sure that was necessary. Further, I'd be ok with that if I liked everything he tried but I didn't. Luke's got a great voice but I didn't always like how he used it.

Now, with Dean on the title track I'm having a hard time imagining how this album could be consistent in any manner. How could Dean's vocals possibly fit with whoever does the rest? I can't even imagine how he even fits with the band in the first place. Hopefully it's amazing for what it is but I'm really not looking forward to what comes of this in the end. I'll just be hoping for the best with each new announcement while being prepared for potential great disappointment. So hoping this doesn't turn out bad. I can't see how they'll go on if it does.

I sort of feel the same way. I'm guessing that the new album will be similar to "Onward to Freedom," with Deen Castronovo's song being like Michael Sweet's performance on Onward. Ted seems to like the core-ish vocals, too, so I'm guessing that the album will include a few different vocalists. I don't know why they couldn't find someone to fill the vocals full-time (if my assumption is correct). If I'm wrong, then I don't understand the point of keeping it a giant secret for this long.

My expectations are quite low, but we can forever be thankful for classics like STB, Psycho, Pathogenic, and even MVTR.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:31 am

I agree with you both.
For a reason I don't quite know, a band often feels like a band because of the singer. There is this sense of a "frontman" of sort even if that frontman hasn't got anything to do with compositions or lyrics. If an album has different instrument players in every song but the same vocalist it feels more of a band than in an album where the vocalist changes in every song.

Obviously if the songs are all amazing it doesn't matter that much but if the songs are average then the constant change of a vocalist starts to matter more. And that's what I think was wrong with Onward to Freedom. While there were a few really good songs, and while I had my expectations hight with the title track because the chorus was simply amazing and Michael did amazing job with it, most of the rest of the songs weren't as good as that - from average to good songs but not great. Onward to Freedom wasn't a bad album, but I think it's my least favorite Tourniquet album and perhaps my least favorite Ted Kirkpatrick solo album too (yes, I think Ode to a Roadkill is more interesting album than Onward to Freedom AND I have a special fondness towards Ancient Christmas too - gotta love the "Hawaii atmospheric" Jingle Bells on that one!) It lacks a sense of identity.

So like you I'm worried the new album lacks the sense of identity too. However, at least I have very high hopes for the upcoming single track because everything I have heard Deen Castronovo sing has been amazingly good.

I guess there is always the possibility that Aaron handles most of the lead vocals in the new album if Ted hasn't found anyone else to do the job. And if I haven't dreamed it I think Ted once told the new album might even have two new vocalists.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2