The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skillet: Unleashed

+7
Hardcore Christian
KaramKaram
Superjuice
metalh
Wildcat
alldatndensum
MegaNorm64
11 posters

Go down

Skillet: Unleashed Empty Skillet: Unleashed

Post by MegaNorm64 Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:00 am

New tunes from the new album are out and I didn't even notice lol.

I have enjoyed Skillet a lot during their long career and I am looking forward to the new addition to the Skillet resume. Stars kind of reminded me of their older albums with the electronic influence and the slow melody to go with it. I really hope more songs sound like that on Unleashed. Feel Invincible actually sounds like another typical Skillet song, haha. Not saying that's bad or anything but, it just sounds like another Rebirthing, Hero, Rise, etc. You know what I mean, haha. What do you guys think of the tracks so far? Are you a long time Skillet fan and going to pick it up regardless? Are you going to wait for more tracks to come out before making up your mind? What did you guys think of Rise, Comatose and the other albums after Invincible?
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Skillet: Unleashed Empty Re: Skillet: Unleashed

Post by alldatndensum Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:12 am

So far, these songs are extremely underwhelming.  They sound like Skillet is moving to the extreme pop side.  Their best albums were their debut, "Collide" and "Comatose".  If they continue in this vein, I probably won't keep buying their music.  I can get better rock than this from Disciple, Decyfer Down, Seventh Day Slumber, and even Kutless after they did the pop worship album.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:35 pm

I have pretty mixed feelings about them as a band. I enjoy some of their earlier, more industrial-based stuff, and Collide is an absolute beast of an album. Everything from Comatose forward has been mediocre or even below average to me. Despite my opinion on that, they've become almost universally looked to as the standard bearers of modern rock in the Christian scene during that time so I can't help but feel like they've been massively overrated for years now.

As for the new songs in particular, I think Stars is a surprisingly good pop/praise number although that's probably not what most people want from Skillet. On the other hand, I think Feel Invincible is pretty terrible. I'll probably pass on the album when it releases.
Wildcat
Wildcat
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by metalh Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Skillet is a mainstay for me. I got to see them on the 'Collide' tour and it was FREAKING AWESOME! I love all of their music. Pop, rock, electronic, industrial, whatever. It's all good. Btw, 'Stars' is Thumbs up

I don't know why you deny

I, I know the light is burning dim and dying in you
I know the pain that lies within
I feel it too

-Collapsing by Demon Hunter
metalh
metalh

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:08 am

I have everything but I don't like all they've done.  The more industrial albums I didn't care for.  The songwriting was immature and I didn't care for the electronica noise.  When they did "Collide", they learned to use those keys with a more symphoic approach which was killer!

The other thing I don't care about with Skillet now are the drums on the albums.    I loved Lori Peter's drumming.  She was a beast on those things and really took Skillet to new levels.  When Jen Ledger came in, the drums could be programmed.  There are so little fills that the performances sounded phoned in.  She sings well, but her drumming needs to step up in aggression to me.  She may be different live, but on the albums it is very subdued.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:14 am

I liked the first album, then just lost interest in the band once I could tell they were going for a more easily digestible sound on Alien Youth.  I caught a few shows and those were pretty good.  Don't hate the band or anything, just not the edgy type of music I seek out.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:09 pm

I listened the album online, and geez, what happened to this band?
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:33 pm

I really like the new album, its a solid release and there isnt a boring song on the album, I think with each release they get better. (much like Stryper) IMO
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:22 pm

I don't care for the ballads that are just typical CCM radio worship songs.  The rest of the album is strong and is very much like "Comatose" to me.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:48 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I don't care for the ballads that are just typical CCM radio worship songs.  The rest of the album is strong and is very much like "Comatose" to me.
I agree especially, "I Want To Live"

Its got the "Comatose" violins thrown right in.

Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceGuy Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Better than Rise or Awake & Alive, worse than Collide or Comatose, which were the best ones they've done, IMO.

Best of the Jen Ledger-era Skillet, at least.

SpaceGuy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:44 pm

I thought it was on par with "Comatose" personally.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:35 pm

SpaceGuy wrote:Best of the Jen Ledger-era Skillet, at least.
Good way to put it Smile
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Facet Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Not a huge fan of this album and I am a HUGE fan of SKillet. Not a big fan of the eletronic and lyrically, it seems to be a bit simple, more superficial.
Also I hate the effects on Jen's voice, she has a terrific voice, why does she need them? sounds stupid to me

I will give it more time but can't see this becoming a favourite

Facet
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Facet Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:31 pm

alldatndensum wrote:  When Jen Ledger came in, the drums could be programmed.  There are so little fills that the performances sounded phoned in.  She sings well, but her drumming needs to step up in aggression to me.  She may be different live, but on the albums it is very subdued.
I've only seen them once but I thought Jen was very good.

I'm not a drummer so I have no idea how good she was technically but sounded alright to me Razz

Facet
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Facet wrote:Also I hate the effects on Jen's voice, she has a terrific voice, why does she need them? sounds stupid to me
Yea, its a little over done in some spots, but their last album had it pretty tuned up as well.
Facet wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:  When Jen Ledger came in, the drums could be programmed.  There are so little fills that the performances sounded phoned in.  She sings well, but her drumming needs to step up in aggression to me.  She may be different live, but on the albums it is very subdued.
I've only seen them once but I thought Jen was very good.

I'm not a drummer so I have no idea how good she was technically but sounded alright to me Razz
Ive seen them live a few times and I think she is a pretty good drummer, I agree on the recorded albums the drums dont seem as aggressive
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:15 pm

I picked up Unleashed at Target(!) a month or so back. And.... meh
Musically it's not as good as the last couple of releases, but what bothers me the most is the lyrics. Kind of left me with that "Is this a Christian band?" vibe. Not much Christianity in the lyrics to my ears. Sad.
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:54 am

Skillet has been at that level for many albums.  Oh, they will have some that are more direct and in your face, but most of their stuff is written keeping a secular audience in mind.  If you are a Christian, their songs will have meaning because you will understand some of their phrases.  Take the song "Stars".  We automatically know that "to the one who holds the stars" means God to us.  A secular audience may or may not get that.  However, Skillet is known for explaining their content in concert even when they are on tours with non-Christian bands.  They are Christians and writing art that reflects their faith just in a more poetic, easier to receive format that might actually get someone outside the church to listen.  We all don't have to write worship tunes for use on CCM radio and for church use.  I love bold, in your face lyrics as much as anyone.  I also understand that sometimes you have to do things outside the box to get people without ears to hear to actually listen.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:48 am

alldatndensum wrote:Skillet has been at that level for many albums.  Oh, they will have some that are more direct and in your face, but most of their stuff is written keeping a secular audience in mind.  If you are a Christian, their songs will have meaning because you will understand some of their phrases.  Take the song "Stars".  We automatically know that "to the one who holds the stars" means God to us.  A secular audience may or may not get that.  However, Skillet is known for explaining their content in concert even when they are on tours with non-Christian bands.  They are Christians and writing art that reflects their faith just in a more poetic, easier to receive format that might actually get someone outside the church to listen.  We all don't have to write worship tunes for use on CCM radio and for church use.  I love bold, in your face lyrics as much as anyone.  I also understand that sometimes you have to do things outside the box to get people without ears to hear to actually listen.
Yes! Exactly, one thing for sure is they never miss a chance to spread the gospel from the stage. I have seen them a few times with secular artists and they always preach about their faith like they are on Winterjam! Smile
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:39 pm

I Want to Live is the best song here
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight