The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanctus Gladius Radio IMPORTANT NEWS regarding the new music laws.

+11
d@v!d
deathisgain
Through The Dark Radio
MikeInFla
ThomasEversole
Tombie
KaramKaram
SirJahzeal
Temple of Blood
alldatndensum
lhversaw
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sanctus Gladius Radio IMPORTANT NEWS regarding the new music laws. Empty Sanctus Gladius Radio IMPORTANT NEWS regarding the new music laws.

Post by lhversaw Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:28 pm

ATTENTION. In spite of being an Indie station and playing ONLY Indie artists the new laws have pretty much done away with that. All radio stations will be subject to paying the new License fees We have BARELY been staying on the air as it is. So as of January 30th The Radio station will cease operations. I have enjoyed the support that you have given to Sanctus Gladius Radio and I wish there was a way we could stay on the air past January 30th but there is really nothing that I can do at this point. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your support over the years and I truly hope that there ARE some Christian Metal Stations and shows and podcasts that can somehow stay open with these new laws.
lhversaw
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Sanctus Gladius Radio IMPORTANT NEWS regarding the new music laws. Empty Re: Sanctus Gladius Radio IMPORTANT NEWS regarding the new music laws.

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:48 pm

Perhaps you could get your indie artists to sign a waiver that would waive their rights to royalty payments.  I've never received a dime from any airplay and would be honored just to have Mission Of One get some play.  I'd sign it.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Sanctus Gladius Radio IMPORTANT NEWS regarding the new music laws. Empty Re: Sanctus Gladius Radio IMPORTANT NEWS regarding the new music laws.

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Who do these fees go to?  I've certainly never seen a dime.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by lhversaw Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:43 pm

The new laws pretty much do away with the title Indie. they claim the fees will go to the copyright holders but that remains to be seen.  In My Opinion it is the RIAA take over of music and what may end up happening is we listen to what they tell us to.
lhversaw
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJahzeal Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:29 pm

SoundExchange is where the money goes.  If they cannot find the copyright holder then the funds go into "administration costs".  

I was "doing the right thing" by paying for licensing on my podcast/broadcast, even knowing that the Indie bands I feature on my show probably never saw a penny of it.  I wanted to follow the laws of the land, you know?  Now the cost of the license has more than doubled for me and I simply do not have the coin to pay for it.  The Master's Metal is non-commercial and has a limited audience, after all.  Plus, I am permanently disabled and living off of Social Security.

I am led to believe that The Master's Metal has given entertainment and edification to its audience.  Fans and friends have also stated that listening to the show has encouraged them to make album and merchandise purchases.  I think that is awesome!  I can tell you, this humble podcast has helped the bands far more than my license attached to it has...as most of the bands I play are not even registered with SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC or SOCAN!

Not my will, but, God's will be done.  Wherever He leads, I will follow.
SirJahzeal
SirJahzeal
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://www.twitch.tv/SirJahzeal

Back to top Go down

Post by lhversaw Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:39 am

alldatndensum wrote:Perhaps you could get your indie artists to sign a waiver that would waive their rights to royalty payments.  I've never received a dime from any airplay and would be honored just to have Mission Of One get some play.  I'd sign it.
Waivers won't do any good.  Get Caught broadcasting with no license and pay huge fines.  This will also pretty much force all bands to register with Ascap and then actually REGISTER each song in order to GET paid the royalties that will automatically be collected.
lhversaw
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:24 am

bummer
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:33 pm

I'm really sorry bud...
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:38 pm

looks like there are still some christian metal stations on live365...also found one on tunein radio as well as a few European stations...and with the web I am sure their will still be some underground stations broadcasting from country's that dont care...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:46 pm

here is a real good station...
http://www.deadtoselfradio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:23 pm

The modern way around it would be a YouTube channel.

I think if there was a "featuring" and/or a "reviewing" spin on music you'd normally radio host, and you setup a Patreon account (for monthly donations), I'd sign up for that.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJahzeal Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Live365 stations will be streaming until January 31 and then the plug will be pulled (unless they are able to secure secure financial investors by that time).  

I imagine that there will be some online Christian Metal stations capable of paying the new license rates through advertising revenue, donations and etc.  That is fantastic!

I also know of at least three online Christian Metal stations who plan on going the "Pirate Radio" route and will continue streaming until they receive a legal "Cease and Desist" letter.

I myself am in a pickle, of sorts.  I play almost entirely independent (indie) music from bands who are only rarely registered with SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.  I will take a wild guess here that 98% of the music played on The Master's Metal never benefit from my being licensed.  Those who do receive royalties from my show, I would venture to say probably get a handful of pennies.  

Personally, I want to follow the laws of the land.  In my financial position at the moment, that means opting to ask for donations or advertising support...or move away from my current format (Music Podcast).
SirJahzeal
SirJahzeal
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:48 pm

So how much are these fees? maybe the cmr members could save at least one of you guys if not both?

Back to top Go down

Post by lhversaw Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:56 pm

The licensing fees are $40 a month and that is on top of the fees that we each already pay for stream hosting and website hosting etc.
lhversaw
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJahzeal Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Radio Station Hosting: $29.00 USD monthly (or $290 USD annually with discount)
Radio Station Licensing: $59.50 USD monthly

That is a total of $1062.00 USD annually (not counting other administrative costs).

Yes, you can find less expensive hosting.  However, the cheaper options offer less listener slots, lower quality sound, increased possibility of downtime and etc.

Last edited by Garrison4JC on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
SirJahzeal
SirJahzeal
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:14 pm

I would do a GoFundMe money drive for this year's fees and keep your station alive.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Nice advice alldat
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:30 am

Where did you see the $40 a month? because I checked on the cost of licensing with ALL of the reporting agencies and it was around 1300-1400 a year. Are you getting this fee from streamlicensing? I checked out that site awhile back, and am still considering forking the cash.

I have always told myself that as long as I am alive and as long as I have the means I will keep Metal Blessing Radio on the air. I am considering paying streamlicensing possibly, but if I cant do that I am strongly considering staying on the air.

As many know I was on Live365 but they are officially closing their doors, they sent out the official email to all their broadcasters last week. I was already paying $40 a month to them for my stream since it was a hosting and blanket license bundle. Now I am paying $3 a month for hosting but without licensing, if I can afford licensing I will do it, but I also have to feed my family and that will of course come first.

I do recall Live365 telling us that we could provide them with waivers from bands, but I don't know the specifics of it. Either way that would be a huge amount of work.
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:07 am

I just received a letter from StreamLicensing... we may be shutting down Dead to Self and Fuel radio as well.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Garrison4JC wrote:Live365 stations will be streaming until January 31 and then the plug will be pulled (unless they are able to secure secure financial investors by that time).  

I imagine that there will be some online Christian Metal stations capable of paying the new license rates through advertising revenue, donations and etc.  That is fantastic!

I also know of at least three online Christian Metal stations who plan on going the "Pirate Radio" route and will continue streaming until they receive a legal "Cease and Desist" letter.

I myself am in a pickle, of sorts.  I play almost entirely independent (indie) music from bands who are only rarely registered with SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.  I will take a wild guess here that 98% of the music played on The Master's Metal never benefit from my being licensed.  Those who do receive royalties from my show, I would venture to say probably get a handful of pennies.  

Personally, I want to follow the laws of the land.  In my financial position at the moment, that means opting to ask for donations or advertising support...or move away from my current format (Music Podcast).

Just curious, but how does this affect the Frontline Rewind podcast? They play a ton of music on that one and have some great interviews. And since they are essentially the record label would that have to pay themselves??
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Hmm I just checked Streamlicensing and their LOWEST licensing plan has gone up to $59. Yikes and that's before 3rd party hosting fees. That means MBR alone when combining my stream hosting, web hosting and license would be around $75 a month, and another $69 per year for my SSL certificate.

I definitely cant afford that, especially between both of my radio stations. I have been weighing my options. I currently have 3 options:

1. Pay around $120 a month to license both Metal Blessing Radio and White Noise Radio

2. Become a "pirate" internet radio station and run the risk of an unlicensed broadcast

3. Shut down and end a season of my life.

Metal Blessing Radio has been pretty much my life for the last 8 years. It looks like Christian metal radio may be getting killed in one swoop. If at all possible I want at least one of us to stay online.
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Seems strange that if someone wants to host "internet radio", (which seems the format of yesteryear) they have to pay ridiculously out the ass...

...where as the exact same thing on YouTube (and I've seen plenty of radio broadcasts on YouTube) will PAY YOU $5-$8 per 1,000 "listens".  (If you monetize your account, which everyone who's aiming for subscriptions should)

You know how many videos out there have one million views? Those people have at least 5 grand in their pocket from it.

I know what I would do if I had a radio show.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:29 pm

YouTube is just a haven for copyright infringement.

But they have money/legal power (GOOGLE!!!!) so they are safe from our legal system.

Let's regulate the little guys out of existence!  Justice is served!!!111111
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:43 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:Seems strange that if someone wants to host "internet radio", (which seems the format of yesteryear) they have to pay ridiculously out the ass...

...where as the exact same thing on YouTube (and I've seen plenty of radio broadcasts on YouTube) will PAY YOU $5-$8 per 1,000 "listens".  (If you monetize your account, which everyone who's aiming for subscriptions should)

You know how many videos out there have one million views?  Those people have at least 5 grand in their pocket from it.

I know what I would do if I had a radio show.

I think uploading podcasts to youtube is a bad idea. If you had a license to cover your radio broadcast stream, relaying that stream somewhere else, or posting it elsewhere means that license no longer applies. So if I had a license for MBR and I posted it on youtube the RIAA could still get you for that.

Its been expected in the radio community for awhile that the RIAA will eventually start attacking youtubers and podcasters. Its coming, its just a matter of when..

We are talking about an organization that has sued 11 year old children, grandmothers and even deceased people. They are vultures.

Last edited by Metal Blessing Radio on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:56 pm

I don't think the RIAA has the power to take on YouTube/Google.

70% of youtube videos are probably using copyrighted material.  Do you really think they will let someone take all those views away from them?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next