The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Devastation~ Idolatry

+4
sentient 6
Hardcore Christian
xMetalMarkx
My Awesome Timothy
8 posters

Go down

Devastation~ Idolatry Empty Devastation~ Idolatry

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:25 pm

Completely missed this band back in the day, lyrics come across with Christian themes like bands like Opprobrium and Sword Of Judgment I guess.... any fans of Devastation from the early 90's?

https://youtu.be/O3xgNWH4Owk
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Devastation~ Idolatry Empty Re: Devastation~ Idolatry

Post by xMetalMarkx Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Big fan here, especially of Idolatry.  I always considered it one of the last great thrash albums before the style fell almost entirely out of favor.  Their vocalist professes personal faith in Jesus and it does come across in some of the lyrics, for sure.  Hard to believe that it was the same band that created such a terribly boring debut only a few years prior!
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:16 pm

Wow thats freaking epic!

Im going to have to pick some of this up how many releases did these guys have?

Can someone give me the run down on their history Smile
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:44 pm

Great band. Right up there with Sadus ( but I liked Sadus a bit more ) as far Thrash bands go.

I've heard stuff about the " Christian " content in their songs, but never really looked lyrics.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:02 pm

For anyone interested...heres some their lyrics.

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/devastation/idolatry.html
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:10 pm

....early demos.

sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:08 pm

I have all their LPs and even an original shirt. Killer band! Idolatry is definitely one of the most aggressive thrash metal albums from the 80s/90s!
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Tobi Elektrik wrote: Idolatry is definitely one of the most aggressive thrash metal albums from the 80s/90s!

...now...don't forget Sadus Smile
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:47 pm

Good band but I definitely agree that SADUS is much better!

SADUS make most thrash bands sound like Disney music.

Looking forward to hearing ELIMINATE featuring an ex-DEVASTATION guitarist.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus is my Best Friend Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:57 pm

xMetalMarkx wrote:Big fan here, especially of Idolatry.  I always considered it one of the last great thrash albums before the style fell almost entirely out of favor.  Their vocalist professes personal faith in Jesus and it does come across in some of the lyrics, for sure.  Hard to believe that it was the same band that created such a terribly boring debut only a few years prior!
I am late by about 6 years, but I was looking up whether this band was Christian and found this forum... and I would like to know if anybody has a source on the beliefs of the vocalist? Seems a bit hard to find such a claim by the vocalist of a pretty obscure band.
Jesus is my Best Friend
Jesus is my Best Friend
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:36 pm

I like that album. I have the reissue!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:34 pm

Jesus is my Best Friend wrote:
xMetalMarkx wrote:Big fan here, especially of Idolatry.  I always considered it one of the last great thrash albums before the style fell almost entirely out of favor.  Their vocalist professes personal faith in Jesus and it does come across in some of the lyrics, for sure.  Hard to believe that it was the same band that created such a terribly boring debut only a few years prior!
I am late by about 6 years, but I was looking up whether this band was Christian and found this forum... and I would like to know if anybody has a source on the beliefs of the vocalist? Seems a bit hard to find such a claim by the vocalist of a pretty obscure band.
I interviewed Rodney in March of 1990 when Devastation was opening for Death in support of Signs of Life.  During the interview he discussed how he felt the importance of not putting out Satanic/garbage lyrics because music affects people, and he said, "I'm a Christian.  I'm not totally diehard religious, pushing it on people, but that's how I am."  He's on Facebook.  Current profile picture is him sporting a Sadus Swallowed in Black shirt.  Nice.
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus is my Best Friend Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:24 pm

I interviewed Rodney in March of 1990 when Devastation was opening for Death in support of Signs of Life.  During the interview he discussed how he felt the importance of not putting out Satanic/garbage lyrics because music affects people, and he said, "I'm a Christian.  I'm not totally diehard religious, pushing it on people, but that's how I am."  He's on Facebook.  Current profile picture is him sporting a Sadus Swallowed in Black shirt.  Nice.
Wowie, was it recorded anywhere? Because thats pretty sick... I had made sone assumptions they might be Christian based on their lyrics on idolatry, then again, its called "idolatry" so the christianity is not too explicit... kind of like a hirax situation where they have pretty anti-satan/christian lyrical content but you dont know if its because theyre faithful or just a cool subject to make a song about. Thanks for clearing it up tho. Does he have Christian stuff on his FB? I dont have an acc but itd be cool to know if hes still faithful.
Jesus is my Best Friend
Jesus is my Best Friend
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:24 pm

Jesus is my Best Friend wrote:

Wowie, was it recorded anywhere? Because thats pretty sick... I had made sone assumptions they might be Christian based on their lyrics on idolatry, then again, its called "idolatry" so the christianity is not too explicit... kind of like a hirax situation where they have pretty anti-satan/christian lyrical content but you dont know if its because theyre faithful or just a cool subject to make a song about. Thanks for clearing it up tho. Does he have Christian stuff on his FB? I dont have an acc but itd be cool to know if hes still faithful.
I consulted my recording of the interview to get his wording noted correctly.  I haven't spent any time scouring his FB page for content one way or another...you might get yourself a FB account and connect with him directly?  I'm sure he's approachable there for any minutiae re. Devastation, anyway.
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:45 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:Wow thats freaking epic!

Im going to have to pick some of this up how many releases did these guys have?

Can someone give me the run down on their history?
Sorry I somehow didn't notice this post?  You've probably since done some homework.  https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Devastation/1502  They released 3 proper albums.  I wouldn't waste your time with their debut, Violent Termination, which is pretty bad.  Signs of Life and Idolatry were both far, far better IMHO, with the former being an enjoyable pedal-to-the-metal thrasher and the latter featuring somewhat more varied compositions and boasting a 96% average rating across 8 reviews at the Metal Archives.
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down