The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darkwave

3 posters

Go down

Darkwave Empty Darkwave

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:00 pm

From Rate Your Music:

Darkwave is a music genre that emerged from Post-Punk and New Wave. It combines a dark, introspective, sorrowful, "gothic" atmosphere of Gothic Rock with Electronic influences, particularly Synthpop.

Although the genre started as a post-punk style, eventually some artists started to make a greater use of synthesizers and drum machines, thus moving towards dark electro music (Electro-Industrial related style). As a result the term covers a broad range of dark "gothic" music with prominent synthesized sounds. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone here listen to this genre? Any fave bands? I love this particular genre, and I am a huge fan of the following bands:

1. Dead Can Dance (one of my all time fave bands)

2. WeltenBrand

3. The Cruxshadows  

4. Clan of Xymox

5. Switchblade Symphony

6. Lycia

Anyone else? Seems like a pretty diverse audience here.

Back to top Go down

Darkwave Empty Re: Darkwave

Post by messiaen77 Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 am

I've just started getting into it more.  I can't say really who my favorites are as I've heard too little.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:16 am

From what ive heard I would say Clan of Xymox would be considered a Darkwave fav of mine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Also, for the record ... there are not many Darkwave bands with "Christian" lyrics, but The Cruxshadows is Catholic and have very Christ-centric and focused lyrics. They don't come out and sing Christian stuff, but they are believers in Christ and even the name of the band, The Cruxshadows, means 'shadows of the Cross'. The founder of the band, Rogue strongly believes in Christ. He's also a great person. I got to meet him at one of their shows. He's incredible to his fans! And he sees himself as a 'minister' of night. I'm not Catholic, but I think Catholics are Christians too.

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:23 am

RavenWolf wrote:Also, for the record ... there are not many Darkwave bands with "Christian" lyrics, but The Cruxshadows is Catholic and have very Christ-centric and focused lyrics. They don't come out and sing Christian stuff, but they are believers in Christ and even the name of the band, The Cruxshadows, means 'shadows of the Cross'. The founder of the band, Rogue strongly believes in Christ. He's also a great person. I got to meet him at one of their shows. He's incredible to his fans! And he sees himself as a 'minister' of night. I'm not Catholic, but I think Catholics are Christians too.
That's cool to hear.  I think Ryan Clark's non-Demon Hunter projects kinda fall in the darkwave category--Low and Behold and NYVES.  I'm checking out Dead Can Dance (Aion, I think) right now.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm definitely interested in checking out Ryan Clark's stuff!

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:29 am

Dead Can Dance is fantastic. I'ma big fan of The Cocteau Twins especially the Treasure album which is sorta darkwaveish. Not too familiar with it though, and I'll have to check Cruxshadows.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Friday13th wrote:Dead Can Dance is fantastic. I'ma big fan of The Cocteau Twins especially the Treasure album which is sorta darkwaveish. Not too familiar with it though, and I'll have to check Cruxshadows.

That's awesome my friend! You are right! Dead Can Dance is amazing!!! One of my all time favorite bands! It was Dead Can Dance that made me want to search out the genre more.

The Cruxshadows is kinda like Darkwave with a mix of Future Pop.

Cocteau Twins is another really good band! You've got great taste. I'm kinda new to Cocteau Twins. Just getting into them myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks dude. Yeah, check Treasure. It's both ethereal and dark with some really weird/cool melodies. Love the voice. D'ya know Elizabeth Fraser sang in the Lord of the Rings movies? She's also in the popular Trip-Hop album Mezzanine.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by lhversaw Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:01 am

Final Vortex is the newest band in this genre and they have EXTREMELY Christ centered lyrics.
lhversaw
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Friday13th wrote:Thanks dude. Yeah, check Treasure. It's both ethereal and dark with some really weird/cool melodies. Love the voice. D'ya know Elizabeth Fraser sang in the Lord of the Rings movies? She's also in the popular Trip-Hop album Mezzanine.

No, I did not realize that! That's awesome!!! I'll have to get a copy of those projects!

What band put out "Mezzanine"?

Last edited by RavenWolf on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:31 pm

lhversaw wrote:Final Vortex is the newest band in this genre and they have EXTREMELY Christ centered lyrics.

Nice! I'll have to look into them as well! Thanks!

farao

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:49 pm

oops sorry, Mezzanine by Massive Attack
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:15 am

Thanks Friday! I'll have to check that out!

Metal 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Today I'm cranking WeltenBrand. A fantastic Neo-Classical Darkwave band from Liechtenstein. Anyone ever heard of this band? I think they are pretty underground. One of my all time favorite bands!

Darkwave WeltenBrand+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:00 pm

Today I'm cranking another pretty underground album. I must really love Darkwave as a genre, because I sure do listen to a lot of it.

This album is also Neo-Classical Darkwave from a band called Aesma Daeva (from Minnesota, USA). This was their first album and after this - they changed styles to Symphonic Metal. So they are currently a Symphonic Metal band. However, this first album was true Darkwave, albeit with some Metal touches. Very solid album and unusual too.

Darkwave 445092

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum