The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron Maiden?

+9
Black Rider
WildWorld
Devon Hill
sentient 6
Fundy
exo
Kerrick
metaldude
Hardcore Christian
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Iron Maiden? Empty Iron Maiden?

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:16 pm

So I happened to look at Book Of Souls lyrics

I saw only about 3 songs and man were they very Spiritual type stuff.
I mean their are "Christian" bands that don't even have as good of Biblically based lyrics.

I was just impressed, anyone else have any thoughts?

(Waiting for Kerrick Twisted Evil )

Last edited by Hardcore Christian on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden? Empty Re: Iron Maiden?

Post by metaldude Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:27 pm

I am by no means a Maiden expert, but I believe Nicko McBrain is a Christian. Like you said, Kerrick will know more.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Iron Maiden is definitely not a Christian band hahaha...  Metaldude is right though, Nicko is very outspoken about his faith in Christ.  Bruce and Steve have very un-Christian beliefs (not anti-Christian though, that I'm aware of).  Check out some of Steve Harris' solo material's lyrics for more info on that.  What I found surprising though is the cross that Adrian has worn in the more recent photos of the band.

Iron Maiden? UK_maiden

As someone who's pretty conservative when it comes to lyrics, Maiden has always been fine in my books.  They've got some somewhat risque lyrics earlier on (Charlotte The Harlot, etc.) but nothing obscene IMO.  Bruce has a bit of a potty mouth when singing live, but whatever.  God willing I ever have kids, they'll be allowed to listen to Maiden.  Truth is, they won't have a choice...   Twisted Evil

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:04 pm

metaldude wrote:I am by no means a Maiden expert, but I believe Nicko McBrain is a Christian. Like you said, Kerrick will know more.
I knew one members was, and yes he does Very Happy
Kerrick wrote:Iron Maiden is definitely not a Christian band hahaha...  Metaldude is right though, Nicko is very outspoken about his faith in Christ.
God willing I ever have kids, they'll be allowed to listen to Maiden.  Truth is, they won't have a choice...   Twisted Evil
Ik they are not but they have more Christian type lyrics than a lot of other bands Cool

And that will be a beautiful thing lol!
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Hahaha when that time comes, I'll be sure to put this on the registry for the baby shower:

Iron Maiden? Ironmaiden-killers-onesie

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Kerrick wrote:Hahaha when that time comes, I'll be sure to put this on the registry for the baby shower:

Thats about as metal as it gets Rockin Loud
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:45 am

I Hardcore Christian wrote:
Kerrick wrote:Hahaha when that time comes, I'll be sure to put this on the registry for the baby shower:

Thats about as metal as it gets Rockin Loud

If we have any more kids, the next offspring WILL wear one of these:

Iron Maiden? Image11

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:29 am

If only I'd have known about that 6 years ago!  The Pooper would have been bought!
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:55 am

LOL @ the pooper if only my wife would consent.........

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:21 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:So I happened to look at Book Of Souls lyrics

I saw only about 3 songs and man were they very Christian type stuff.
I mean their are "Christian" bands that don't even have as good of Biblically based lyrics.

Ok, first thought was....this is a sad commentary for " christian " metal then. cyclops
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:28 pm

After given a quick look at just the lyrics to The Book of Souls..

.....very cryptic....but not very consistent with a Biblical theology.

I don't really mean to dissent or be a killjoy, but sometimes we see what we want to see.

.....just another perspective.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:30 pm

...yes !.....THE POOPER Metal 1
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon Hill Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:52 am

Hardcore Christian wrote:So I happened to look at Book Of Souls lyrics

I saw only about 3 songs and man were they very Christian type stuff.

I read through the lyrics, and personally I don't see very much Christian stuff in it.  There are a few things here and there that talk about biblical things, and maybe even some biblical truths, but that doesn't automatically mean it is Christian persay.  Sometimes words can be said, that are Christian sounding, but actually are not used in that context.

As an example, Bruce Dickinson wrote a song "Man of Sorrows" on his Accident of Birth solo album.  Normally in Christianity, Jesus is the Man of Sorrows.  However, Bruce has mentioned in interviews that this song is about one of the most anti-Christian persons in recent history - Aleister Crowley.

Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding solo album also has lots of biblical imagery or references.  However that doesn't mean it is coming from a Christian perspective.  For example, Bruce says the following about one of the songs on The Chemical Wedding: "For example, one of the songs is about failure and the song is called "The Trumpets of Jericho". In the story of the trumpets of Jericho in the Bible, the walls fall down when the tribes of Israel walk around the city and blow their trumpets. Except in this song they don't, it doesn't work. You've done everything right, everything's cool but the wall's still standing. And what do you do? How do you face up to that fact? And it's all part of the whole alchemy thing. What were the alchemists trying to do? They were trying to achieve something that was virtually impossible, they spent their whole lives trying to do it, and all of them failed, or pretty damn near all of them failed." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chemical_Wedding_(Bruce_Dickinson_album)

Also Bruce says the following about The Chemical Wedding in an interview:

RB: "Did you do research in the Bible or in any alchemy book?"

Bruce: "Yes, I've researched things that I didn't know very well. I have a small library at home and I used those books to research - principally a German book about occultism."

RB: "You used some illustrations in the album. Did you have to study occultism too?"

Bruce: "Yes. Look, alchemy has a huge way to define it. And for sure it has a bit of occultism too. This whole thing together helps us to understand the universe that we live in. Aleister Crowley studied it a lot. I admire it."
http://maidenfans.com/index.php?ACT=module&name=rwarticles&show=95

The Chemical Wedding, while having quite a few biblical references, is ultimately about alchemy, William Blake's poetry (who was also into alchemy) and is derived/inspired out of the occult.  Aleister Crowley was a very dedicated occultist who referred to himself as the Great Beast 666.  He singlehandedly promoted and did more for getting people into the occult than probably anybody else in recent history.

Obviously these examples are not from The Book of Souls, but I am just using them to show that just because there is biblical imagery or things said, it doesn't necessarily mean they are using it in a Christian way.  I remember back in the day when I was reading the lyrics from The Chemical Wedding, I thought similar things - that the lyrics were impressively Christian.  Then when I started to look into it a bit more, I realized this was actually not the case, but it was actually about alchemy and the occult - self-admitted by Bruce himself.  In a sense, I wanted it to be Christian, and I was interpreting it through my own Christian lens to be so.  Is The Book of Souls in a similar boat?  I don't know.  However, I personally saw limited stuff in the lyrics that would be Christian in nature, and not just using a bit of biblical imagery or general references in a couple songs.  Other songs mentioned non-Christian things such as other gods, shamans, etc.

Just my opinion.  Very Happy
Devon Hill
Devon Hill
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:53 am

sentient 6 wrote:After given a quick look at just the lyrics to The Book of Souls..

.....very cryptic....but not very consistent with a Biblical theology.

I don't really mean to dissent or be a killjoy, but sometimes we see what we want to see.

.....just another perspective.
I only looked at about 3 songs and what I saw was more "Christian" looking then a lot of bands. As in references in a power metal type way.

Like here from If Eternity Should Fail:

We are strange believers, all of us
There are stranger truths, immortal lust
We rise from slumber, he calls our name
Recalls our number, abide with pain

From When The River Runs Deep:

Look for something that is hard to find
Searching somewhere deep inside your mind
Hope you find just what you're looking for
Heaven's waiting with an open door

From Shadows Of The Valley:

Listen closely to the raven’s call
Praying hard for our world not to end
Try as might to make sense of it all
Will it be for the penance of men
Follow north for the call of the wild
Look all out for a small wayward child
Lay in fear as the dark raven crows
Look for guidance from the one who knows
He lived on this earth for a time and a half
Playing a tune to the old man’s laugh
The fear that’s inside the men of the oath
In the script of the book that He wrote

Later:

Into the valley of death fear no evil
We will go forward no matter the cost
Into the valley of death follow me now
Bring me your souls and I’ll make it our last

And dont make this theological, Im just stating the lyrics that stand out as having a deeper meaning than the standard Maiden song.
To me this is way more "Christian" than quite a few bands

but thats just my opinion Cool

Devon Hill wrote:As an example, Bruce Dickinson wrote a song "Man of Sorrows" on his Accident of Birth solo album.

Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding solo album also has lots of biblical imagery or references.

Also Bruce says the following about The Chemical Wedding in an interview:

Bruce: "Yes, I've researched things that I didn't know very well. I have a small library at home and I used those books to research - principally a German book about occultism."

Bruce: "Yes. Look, alchemy has a huge way to define it. And for sure it has a bit of occultism too. This whole thing together helps us to understand the universe that we live in. Aleister Crowley studied it a lot. I admire it."
But Bruce is not a Christian remember? Razz
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:28 am

[Hehe I'm listening to Maiden's new album as I type. Cool ]

Maiden has had spiritual themes since pretty much the get-go in their lyrics, but as Devon said, I wouldn't consider them to be "Christian" necessarily.  Nicko wrote one song on the Dance Of Death album which had some Christian themes, but even that was relatively cryptic.

However, some of their most overt "Christian" lyrics came from the Blaze era of the 90's.  (Sorry for the spelling/grammar errors; I pulled these straight off of The Metal Archives.)  But even these could be interpreted in different ways, as they're more questioning faith rather than embracing it completely.

The Sign Of The Cross:

Judgment Of Heaven:

The Unbeliever:

The Angel And The Gambler:

The Educated Fool:

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:50 pm

I am not sure why you guys like the word cryptic so much but to me if a band that said, " hey we are a Christian band" had these lyrics on a album to me that would be pretty good. All I meant with this thread was pointing out the obvious Spiritual themes from Nicko's influence on the lyrics and band.
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:09 pm

Noncryptically speaking, the cryptical nature of your cryptosystem has far too much crypticity to discern in a noncryptical manner.  Razz

But yes, Maiden does have some spiritual and even Christian themes, though they are by no stretch of the imagination a "Christian band."  One might say the best band ever though...   What a Face

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:14 pm

Kerrick wrote:Noncryptically speaking, the cryptical nature of your cryptosystem has far too much crypticity to discern in a noncryptical manner.  Razz

One might say the best band ever though...   What a Face
lol!

I cant wait to see your children some day from what I have seen in this thread Razz
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Kerrick wrote: One might say the best band ever though...

Or not... Wink
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:
Kerrick wrote:Noncryptically speaking, the cryptical nature of your cryptosystem has far too much crypticity to discern in a noncryptical manner.  Razz

One might say the best band ever though...   What a Face
lol!

I cant wait to see your children some day from what I have seen in this thread Razz

Yeah God help my poor future children...  They're gonna need it!  Spam

metaldude wrote:
Kerrick wrote:One might say the best band ever though...

Or not...    Wink

Grrrr

Well, I did say "ONE might say"... so... I guess we know who that one person is haha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Nicko has never really had much influence on the lyrics though. The only song he contributed lyrics to AFAIK was New Frontier (which was about how human cloning and genetically created humans was "playing God").

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:
I only looked at about 3 songs and what I saw was more "Christian" looking then a lot of bands. As in references in a power metal type way.

Like here from If Eternity Should Fail:

We are strange believers, all of us
There are stranger truths, immortal lust
We rise from slumber, he calls our name
Recalls our number, abide with pain

From When The River Runs Deep:

Look for something that is hard to find
Searching somewhere deep inside your mind
Hope you find just what you're looking for
Heaven's waiting with an open door

From Shadows Of The Valley:

Listen closely to the raven’s call
Praying hard for our world not to end
Try as might to make sense of it all
Will it be for the penance of men
Follow north for the call of the wild
Look all out for a small wayward child
Lay in fear as the dark raven crows
Look for guidance from the one who knows
He lived on this earth for a time and a half
Playing a tune to the old man’s laugh
The fear that’s inside the men of the oath
In the script of the book that He wrote

Later:

Into the valley of death fear no evil
We will go forward no matter the cost
Into the valley of death follow me now
Bring me your souls and I’ll make it our last

And dont make this theological, Im just stating the lyrics that stand out as having a deeper meaning than the standard Maiden song.
To me this is way more "Christian" than quite a few bands

but thats just my opinion Cool

I guess you'd have to tell me what you think those songs are saying too you that lead you to believe that they are communicating some kind of Christian truth. Because I just don't see it. Is  Christian truth that unclear were cannot recognize mystical philosopy in its place ?

Like I said before, if you believe these are more biblical that many " christian " bands, I think that is a sad commentary on the state of christian metal.

In a nutshell, I don't see anything in those lyrics that would cause conern for your average garden variety atheist ( or satan for that matter ).affraid
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:I am not sure why you guys like the word cryptic so much but to me if a band that said, " hey we are a Christian band" had these lyrics on a album to me that would be pretty good. All I meant with this thread was pointing out the obvious Spiritual themes from Nicko's influence on the lyrics and band.
I think something is " cryptic I guess when I can't tell what the heck the songs are about. Evil or Very Mad

Now HCC, I think you should test all things that appear " spiritual " against the Word of God if want to be sure that they line up with Christian belief. Thats the safest bet.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:35 pm

Is vague a better word. I don't get much "christian" from the lyrics. They throw in a few catch phrases like valley of death and a man who lived a time and a half and that makes it Biblical?Not saying not to listen either.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:56 pm

One cool thing about Maiden (among MANY cool things haha) is that they don't/rarely preach at the listener.  Their songs are either based on history, literature, or the like... or they're more open-ended and allow the listener to arrive at their own conclusions.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next