The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saint - Broad Is The Gate

+5
Joe C
Pershing1134
Candlemass
Staybrite
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Saint - Broad Is The Gate Empty Saint - Broad Is The Gate

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2015 5:40 pm

I have been a fan of Saint ever since I first got their Warriors of the Son cassette back in 1984.

When Josh left the band, I wasn't too sure I liked the new singer. However, since I already own every Saint cd, I decided to buy the mp3 download of it anyway just to give it a whirl. Not bad...it has it's moments. Still not overly thrilled with the new singer.

The music itself I like (the vocals still annoy me sometimes, and I am not really sure why, other than it just sounds flat? to me) so I chose to go ahead and get the cd version also (I sometimes buy both digital and cd versions just to support bands I like...when I can afford to..I did the same with GX Project) to keep my collection complete.

I have to say, I was extremely disappointed with the cd packaging. Easily one of the worst I have seen. The cd slides into a sleeve in the digipack instead of sitting on a tray with a spindle. Not liking that AT ALL. I don't like having to buy a cd and automatically replace the case, especially since the cover can't be put into it.

Back to top Go down

Saint - Broad Is The Gate Empty Re: Saint - Broad Is The Gate

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sat May 09, 2015 8:52 am

NIT PICKING ARTISTS!!!  Monkey Biz  Angry Slap
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2015 9:20 am

HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:NIT PICKING ARTISTS!!!  Monkey Biz  Angry Slap

H&M,

if you think THAT is nit picking an artist then you probably should not be in a forum.

Product packaging is VERY important to a consumer, and since the consumer is BUYING that product they have a right to say whether or not they like the packaging. Especially when it is non-standard (most digipaks have trays).  Have you bothered reading all the talks here and on other forums about how many fans hate digipaks to begin with? A lot of people complain about them. This goes one step worse than the regular digipaks too. David Benson's last cd was in a sleeve (even cheaper than Saint's) and a lot of fans didn't like that either.

Last edited by NoOneIsHere on Sat May 09, 2015 9:32 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2015 9:23 am

and if you are complaining about me saying that I couldn't warm up to the vocals...well, this is a MUSIC forum....we do discus what we do like and what we don't...

Notice I wasn't rude about it to them, I wasn't making any personal attacks on the band, I didn't accuse them of trying to rip anyone off, I didn't question their spirituality or their motives... THAT would be when it goes over the line

Oh..and by the way...I bought TWO copies of the album (digital Amazon and cd thru Saint)....did you support them at all?

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sat May 09, 2015 10:22 am

NoOneIsHere wrote:and if you are complaining about me saying that I couldn't warm up to the vocals...well, this is a MUSIC forum....we do discus what we do like and what we don't...

Notice I wasn't rude about it to them, I wasn't making any personal attacks on the band, I didn't accuse them of trying to rip anyone off, I didn't question their spirituality or their motives... THAT would be when it goes over the line

Oh..and by the way...I bought TWO copies of the album (digital Amazon and cd thru Saint)....did you support them at all?

Yep, I did and I agree with everything you said!!!
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sat May 09, 2015 10:26 am

I have every SAINT album on cd, I like Broad Is The Gate but my top 3 albums by them are Times End, Too Late For Living and In The Battle.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2015 10:33 am

HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:I have every SAINT album on cd, I like Broad Is The Gate but my top 3 albums by them are Times End, Too Late For Living and In The Battle.

Time's End and Too Late For Living are definitely among my favorite....I am sure that some of that is sentimentality though, too.

Maybe my third would be Desperate Night....or The Mark

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2015 10:35 am

HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:and if you are complaining about me saying that I couldn't warm up to the vocals...well, this is a MUSIC forum....we do discus what we do like and what we don't...

Well...ok..but....

darn...

You didn't give me anything to debate with you on... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sat May 09, 2015 10:50 am

NoOneIsHere wrote:
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:

Well...ok..but....

darn...

You didn't give me anything to debate with you on... Razz

Sorry you were spot on with what you said!!!  Rolf 2
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sat May 09, 2015 10:55 am

"

[size=30]Notice I wasn't rude about it to them, I wasn't making any personal attacks on the band, I didn't accuse them of trying to rip anyone off, I didn't question their spirituality or their motives... THAT would be when it goes over the line"[/size]

[size=30]Awesome that's the way a constructive review should be done!!!   Just Joking [/size]
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2015 5:51 pm

I just couldn't get into this album at all..to me it is a boring album. Saint is a hit and miss band for me..a few of their albums are awesome but the majority not so much..at the end of the day I am most likely gonna put on some Judas Priest (original) instead of the clone..(saint)..

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sat May 09, 2015 5:54 pm

savage amusement wrote:I just couldn't get into this album at all..to me it is a boring album. Saint is a hit and miss band for me..a few of their albums are awesome but the majority not so much..at the end of the day I am most likely gonna put on some Judas Priest (original) instead of the clone..(saint)..

Shocking assumption!!!

Great album listening to the european version
 Grrrr     Monkey Biz    Angry Slap    Spam   Don\'t Feed Trolls    lol!
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Sat May 09, 2015 10:07 pm

I am a big Saint fan, and own all of their albums.  I do think the new vocalist is very capable but something about this album just didn't click with me...it really seemed kind of flat like it was lacking in overall dynamics or something.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat May 09, 2015 10:10 pm

Hey, Rich could be singing...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing1134 Sun May 10, 2015 2:00 am

Candlemass wrote:Hey, Rich could be singing...
Rolf 1
Pershing1134
Pershing1134
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sun May 10, 2015 4:03 am

Candlemass wrote:Hey, Rich could be singing...

That is harsh!!!  affraid  Grrrr  Spam  Monkey Biz  Angry Slap  Don\'t Feed Trolls  lol!

Last edited by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD on Sun May 10, 2015 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fit)
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 10, 2015 4:02 pm

it really seemed kind of flat like it was lacking in overall dynamics or something.

I agree

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 10, 2015 4:52 pm

I don't think that the music is the issue, I think it is the new singer's voice.

That's why I said the vocals seemed flat to me in my original post.

He is a good singer, maybe even a better pure singer than Josh, but he lacks any flare in his vocal style. Not sure what the correct term is, but his voice comes off very even and monotone to me. Josh always seemed to have multiple levels he sung at.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe C Wed May 13, 2015 10:25 am

With the signature vocal style of Josh Kramer gone, Saint does not feel like the same band anymore.
Joe C
Joe C
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed May 13, 2015 6:02 pm

I must be the only guy that thinks that the new voice adds something of a NEW dynamic to the band.  Everyone has labeled Saint as a Judas Priest clone for years.  Finally, they are able to shed that with a new vocalist.  I think the new singer is a breath of fresh air.  The only complaint I have with the newest release is that it is about 2 songs too short.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 9:25 pm

The singer is nice as well as the entire album. I don't mind How long or short is a song or an entire album, I actually enjoy straight forward albums. IT is better than adding a couple of songs that any fan would care about it, just to make the album longer.

But somehow this album didn't draw too much attention from me. I guess I got a little tired from apocalyptic topics that is the main focus on every saint album. Anyway, there are great songs on it such as We All Stand and We Will Fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Thu May 14, 2015 11:07 pm

I prefer Josh, but it's a solid effort, I got no beef.
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:00 pm

I have been thinking of getting this album..Sounds really strong and I enjoyed what I heard on youtube...

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:15 pm

savage amusement wrote:I just couldn't get into this album at all..to me it is a boring album. Saint is a hit and miss band for me..a few of their albums are awesome but the majority not so much..at the end of the day I am most likely gonna put on some Judas Priest (original) instead of the clone..(saint)..

Savage Amusement wrote:I have been thinking of getting this album..Sounds really strong and I enjoyed what I heard on youtube...

See what a year can do to peoples opinions!

Thats pretty cool!

Ive had that happen to me a few times, where I originally thought it was generic and then came back and realized how much of a gem it really was!
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:37 pm

I haven't listened to that album very much. It is good, but I guess that it is too hard for Saint to reach the Hell Blade album level.

Both Desperate Night and Broad is the gate seems like something is missing for the album to be perfect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next