The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My review of Mortification album "Realm of the Skelator".

3 posters

Go down

My review of Mortification album "Realm of the Skelator".  Empty My review of Mortification album "Realm of the Skelator".

Post by Mephibosheth Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:18 pm

It seems Steve and Co have really worked hard on Realm of the Skelator to address some of the common complaints been made about recent Mort albums. Things such as weak song structures, repetitive songs, cheesy lyrics and of course the vocals. 

The first thing I noticed different on first track The Call is the excellent riffage and time changes. Seconds in  I knew this album was going to be different. Before any song can get boring or repetitive some new musical twist pops up and takes the song in a new direction. No time to get bored. When listening to ROTS through the first time I kept thinking "WOW". The song writing is fresh, interesting and complex.

In the past Mortification have tried to mix styles up and try several vocals styles all on the one album. But what happens is the fans only really like a couple of songs on each album rather than thinking the whole album is awesome. But we don't have that problem with ROTS. The album has a very similar vocal approach throughout with Steve using a growled style which works really well. They're not Scrolls style vocals but they still sound killer. No clean singing here. Steve especially does some SICK vocals on Feed Your Hungry Ears and Total Thrashing Death. 

Musically the album is a thrash death metal hybrid style with a generous helping of killer melodies. ROTS is a much more musically consistent effort than recent albums. There are plenty of sick riffs that stick in your head after each song is over. I would describe ROTS as perhaps a mixture of the best bits of Relentless, Erasing and PMA.

The lyrics seem well written and of course share the gospel message. This album is more of a band approach. All members contribute to the song writing. There is even two songs where Steve didn't write the lyrics.

If this is the last Mortification album it couldn't be a better end note. Perhaps they have saved the best for last?? Maybe not but ROTS would be in my top 3 Mort albums. 

This could be the album if the year for me

Last edited by Mephibosheth on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
Mephibosheth
Mephibosheth
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

My review of Mortification album "Realm of the Skelator".  Empty Re: My review of Mortification album "Realm of the Skelator".

Post by Hardcore Christian Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:19 pm

Wow really glad to hear another positive review.
Now am I am even more excited  to get mine in the mail
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

My review of Mortification album "Realm of the Skelator".  Empty Re: My review of Mortification album "Realm of the Skelator".

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:11 am

Very well put Mephibosheth!!!  It definately is the most complex in terms of song structures, unlike any other album they have done.  It is fresh and different and you can hear lots of styles from past albums like Break The Curse, Mortification, PMA, Erasing The Goblin, Relentless, Envision but in a way sounds nothing like those albums.... I have enjoyed all Mort albums over the years, their songs have never been complicated or technical, just simple verse, chorus, verse, chorus etc but this is just WOW!!!

Last edited by Markification on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Info)
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down