The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fans re-record Metallica's St. Anger from the ground up... Wow!

+13
Endlessfuneral2003
Guitar Noir
xMetalMarkx
Temple of Blood
Wildcat
Superjuice
sentient 6
metaldude
MegaNorm64
exo
force perspective
Jessrox
metalh
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fans re-record Metallica's St. Anger from the ground up... Wow! Empty Fans re-record Metallica's St. Anger from the ground up... Wow!

Post by metalh Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:55 pm

So I found this on Loudwire. This band decided to completely re-record St. Anger with better production, heavier guitar, drums, etc. The biggest difference is the absence of the trash can snare. I listened to the whole thing on YouTube and, to be honest... I've never ever listened to St. Anger all the way though before...

Anyway, check this out. Here's the link to the Loudwire article as well as the YouTube. The singer sounds just like Het. Pretty great!

Loudwire Article

Last edited by metalh on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

I don't know why you deny

I, I know the light is burning dim and dying in you
I know the pain that lies within
I feel it too

-Collapsing by Demon Hunter
metalh
metalh

Back to top Go down

Fans re-record Metallica's St. Anger from the ground up... Wow! Empty Re: Fans re-record Metallica's St. Anger from the ground up... Wow!

Post by Jessrox Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:59 pm

KILLER! For those of you who didn't like St. Anger. Well here is your chance to get a new ''old'' Metallica album that really does rock. The new production showcases what this album is really about. This smokes. Very cool idea for these fans to put this together.

Last edited by Jessrox on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jessrox
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Fans re-record Metallica's St. Anger from the ground up... Wow! Empty Re: Fans re-record Metallica's St. Anger from the ground up... Wow!

Post by metalh Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:01 pm

From Loudwire:

Metallica’s ‘St. Anger’ Album Re-Recorded by Fans

by Graham 'Gruhamed' Hartmann January 14, 2015 9:12 AM

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Metallica‘s ‘St. Anger’ album remains one of the most debated upon releases in metal history. The record’s raw nature and production aspects have been subject to much criticism, but would ‘St. Anger’ have been widely acclaimed if approached in a different way? Three fans of Metallica set out to answer that question, re-recording the album in full and releasing it via YouTube.
Metallica’s ‘St. Anger’ album was the result of an incredibly turbulent period in the band’s history. Showcased in the ‘Some Kind of Monster’ documentary, tensions came to a head after bassist Jason Newsted left the group. Frontman James Hetfield would soon enter rehab amid heated confrontation between himself and drummer Lars Ulrich, especially.
Those dynamics can make for a phenomenal album, but in the minds of many, ‘St. Anger’ just didn’t cut it. However, fans Daryl Gardner (guitar / bass / drums), Dave Cox (vocals) and Chris Dando (production / backing vocals) of the #StAnger2015 project aim to highlight the album’s strengths. “#STANGER2015 is for the listeners who weren’t so fond on the record back when it was released in 2003,” writes Gardner. “Recorded from the ground up, the album has been shortened by 16 minutes, yet every riff and lyric is intact, resulting in a more concise and focused record.”
He continues, “The production is also more conventional, and we hope that Metallica fans appreciate this new version of an album that is always looked at as an anomaly in the incredible career of the world’s biggest metal band, Metallica.”
There are currently no plans to physically release the ‘St. Anger’ 2015 dub, but you can still check it out in the YouTube video above.
Did these three guys hit a home run with the panned Metallica album? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section!

Read More: Metallica's 'St. Anger' Album Re-Recorded by Fans | http://loudwire.com/metallica-st-anger-album-re-recorded-by-fans/?trackback=tsmclip

I feel it too

metalh
metalh

Back to top Go down

Post by force perspective Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Omg this sounds AWESOME!
Drums that sound normal makes all the difference.
I'd love to hear a redo of ...and Justice for All with the bass added.
force perspective
force perspective
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:58 am

We've already got this:

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:57 pm

I've always contended that this wasn't ever a collection of bad songs....but the terrible production concepts absolutely DESTROYED it's potential.

That's what irritated me most about it: St. Anger SOUNDED like  it was an unfinished demo, and not a project that had been completed to the standards the band had set.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by metalh Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:13 pm

I've had a bunch of the songs stuck in my head the last few days. I really like this album now. I went back and listened to the real St. Anger and that snare made me turn it off pretty quickly.

I feel it too

metalh
metalh

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:17 am

metalh wrote:I've had a bunch of the songs stuck in my head the last few days. I really like this album now. I went back and listened to the real St. Anger and that snare made me turn it off pretty quickly.
You and me both.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:59 am

^^ Same here. Frantic and Some Kind Of Monster have been stuck in my head since I heard this.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:45 pm

This sounds great. Some well written songs finally get some decent recording.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessrox Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:35 pm

SWEET AMBER! THIS ALBUM ROCKS!
Jessrox
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:39 pm

It's a great improvement, however it still doesn't have guitar solos where they are glaringly missing (Kirk tried but didn't win the verbal battle with Lars/Bob).  Also, the riffs are annoyingly simplistic in a few spots.  I forget the song, but there's a bridge where he's playing a one-note riff - just continually bending the low E string and it grates my cheese.  Still, yeah, coulda been a decent album rather than the band's second biggest embarrassment.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:08 pm

I dig this. The absence of the infamous drum sound on the original recording really does make a huge difference.
Wildcat
Wildcat
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 pm

I'm not a Metallica fan, but this is pretty cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:27 am

Lars was right that these riffs are "stock".
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Lars was right that these riffs are "stock".
Lol, I never heard that term until I saw the movie.  Yeah, I don't know why they get more and more simplistic since Justice.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:11 pm

So, Trujillo didn't have to be sent out to pick up pizza this time?  Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:35 pm

The riffs might be stock, but there are some good melodies and songs on that album.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:05 am

Superjuice wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:Lars was right that these riffs are "stock".
Lol, I never heard that term until I saw the movie.  Yeah, I don't know why they get more and more simplistic since Justice.

Because they got richer and lazier.

(And they are family men and music is a distant 2nd)
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:02 pm

force perspective wrote:Omg this sounds AWESOME!
Drums that sound normal makes all the difference.
I'd love to hear a redo of ...and Justice for All with the bass added.
Google "And Justice for Jason."

Bass is more audible on certain import remasters than it is on the U.S. version, too.

\m/
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:29 pm

I know that I am one of the very few to actually LIKE St. Anger.  Outside of "Invisble Kid", it is a really strong album for me.  The snare doesn't bother me, I feel that the twang of the snare really cuts through the low end of the down tuned guitars.   I love the raw, less polished sound.  I can appreciate Hetfield's freedom vocally, at time not great vocals, but purer.  I did not really get into St Anger until I watched the dvd of the band playing it in the practice room, really brought out the heaviness and surprising speed of some of the tracks.  Hetfield is a guitar hero of mine and there are some really great, HEAVY, riffs thruout.  The new fan re-record is cool, however I do not love the guy's vocals at times.  A few times he NAILS Hetfield, but overall not quite.  Great effort and obviously a labor of love.  While I was watching I was wondering what a re-record of And Justice For All would sound like.    I wonder what Metallica thinks of it.
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Endlessfuneral2003 Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Way better than the original, but I find the songwriting a little lacking. Cool, but not a classic by any means.
Endlessfuneral2003
Endlessfuneral2003
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by DevZor Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:56 pm

Their fb page says that Metallica's managment team sent them a message saying that James heard it the other day and gave it a thumbs up.
DevZor
DevZor
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elManique Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 am

Superjuice wrote: rather than the band's second biggest embarrassment.

Imagine how great a fan re-recording of Lulu would be!
elManique
elManique
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Leaps and bounds better than the original
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next