The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has the new Sanctuary and what do you think ?

+3
metaldude
Temple of Blood
sentient 6
7 posters

Go down

Who has the new Sanctuary and what do you think ? Empty Who has the new Sanctuary and what do you think ?

Post by sentient 6 Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:29 am

I haven't got this yet, but from what I hear here, it sounds really good. Fans of Nevermore should have something to fill the void.

sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Who has the new Sanctuary and what do you think ? Empty Re: Who has the new Sanctuary and what do you think ?

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:16 pm

I have it but haven't finished listening to it.  Some of it I really enjoy.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Who has the new Sanctuary and what do you think ? Empty Re: Who has the new Sanctuary and what do you think ?

Post by metaldude Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:03 am

I didn't realize they were still together until I read this thread. I picked up the new album and went through it a few times. They sound really good.  I like it.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:14 pm

metaldude wrote:I didn't realize they were still together until I read this thread. I picked up the new album and went through it a few times. They sound really good.  I like it.

Yeah, after Warrel and Jeff decided to take a break with Nevermore ( don't know if its permanent ), Warrel hooked back up with his old band mates from Sanctuary.

Money is tight right now, so I haven't picked this up yet. But from what I heard, this could have easily been the next Nevermore album ( which is a good thing if you like Nevermore ). But like I said, haven't heard the whole thing yet so I will reserve further judgment. But since it is a " sanctuary " project, I wouldn't mind if it followed along the lines of Into the Mirror Black.

..but honestly, I always saw a pretty seemless transition between Sanctuary and Nevermore anyway.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:18 am

Haven't heard this yet......but based on what Sanctuary used to sound like, and a few of the interviews they've done, I don't really see how this could possibly be a substitute for Nevermore's sound.......I know Warrel is going to lend it some minor similarity because of the vocals, but Sanctuary is pretty much standard tuned (or at least not massively drop tuned) 6 string guitars instead of 7 string, and Loomis' riffs and writing are a far different beast from the writing style of Lenny Rutledge......and Warrel is on the record saying that.  There's just a TOTALLY different musical structure Warrel sings over in Sanctuary as opposed to Nevermore's material.

If this sounds like Nevermore lite instead of an update on the classic Sanctuary stuff, I think I'll be pretty disappointed in all honesty.....

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:19 am

The video posted above is indicative of the sound on the album. It should induce much headbanging.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbVII Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Production SUCKS!! When I listened to this album on my laptop, I thought, I can't wait to listen to this in my car. What a letdown.  No low end punch. This would be a great album, but I can hardly listen to the tonk tonk tonk, of the drums! If you don't have a problem listening to a low budget production, the rest of it is good, maybe great. If I can't feel the bass in my car, it ruins it. I'm not into blow your eardrums bass, but the bass drum should be thick and rich. Instead it sounds like he is kicking a tom tom. All mid bass. What a shame.  Crying or Very sad
RobbVII
RobbVII
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:51 pm

RobbVII wrote:Production SUCKS!! When I listened to this album on my laptop, I thought, I can't wait to listen to this in my car. What a letdown.  No low end punch. This would be a great album, but I can hardly listen to the tonk tonk tonk, of the drums! If you don't have a problem listening to a low budget production, the rest of it is good, maybe great. If I can't feel the bass in my car, it ruins it. I'm not into blow your eardrums bass, but the bass drum should be thick and rich. Instead it sounds like he is kicking a tom tom. All mid bass. What a shame.  Crying or Very sad

..oh bob....you production nazi. Razz
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:59 pm

exo wrote:Haven't heard this yet......but based on what Sanctuary used to sound like, and a few of the interviews they've done, I don't really see how this could possibly be a substitute for Nevermore's sound.......I know Warrel is going to lend it some minor similarity because of the vocals, but Sanctuary is pretty much standard tuned (or at least not massively drop tuned) 6 string guitars instead of 7 string, and Loomis' riffs and writing are a far different beast from the writing style of Lenny Rutledge......and Warrel is on the record saying that.  There's just a TOTALLY different musical structure Warrel sings over in Sanctuary as opposed to Nevermore's material.

If this sounds like Nevermore lite instead of an update on the classic Sanctuary stuff, I think I'll be pretty disappointed in all honesty.....

I agree with what you said about old Sanctuary and Nevermore. But based on what i've heard, maybe Warrel is consciously or subconsciously letting the Nevermore sound influence Sanctuary.

Honestly though, AoM and ItMB are pieces of metal history whos impact will never be duplicated again.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Well, this video sounds far thrashier and less musically complex than most Nevermore material, but that's just how MY ears hear it.  Jeff DOES like his wide interval widdly widdly sweeping sweepity guitar, you know Very Happy

Warrel employs a few vocal patterns that are reminiscent of his choices over the last couple Nevermore discs......but they were there on his (utterly fantastic) solo album as well.  To me, that's just Warrel, and not "hints of Nevermore".  

While this may be different from "old" Sanctuary, it just sounds like the band has progressed their sound 25 years to me.

That all sounds rather pedantic, doesn't it? LOL. It sounds good enough Smile

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:26 pm

exo wrote:That all sounds rather pedantic, doesn't it? LOL. It sounds good enough Smile
Yes, but I wish more people would explain things like that.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Managed to listen to the whole thing, and to me, there is definitely a completely different overall "feel" to this than Nevermore had.  Guitar solos are more straightforward, more picked and bent notes in them,instead of the fluid sweep/tap of Nevermore.  Riffs seem.....riffy-er?  Closer to an "80's" thrash thing than a "modern" approach, even though this is NOT a straightforward thrash effort by any stretch, if that makes sense?

After hearing it once, it's "good" to "very good", musically, but not what I'd call "great".  It's more than pleasant to listen to, but didn't immediately sink it's hooks into my brain either.

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:12 pm

exo wrote:After hearing it once, it's "good" to "very good", musically, but not what I'd call "great".  It's more than pleasant to listen to, but didn't immediately sink it's hooks into my brain either.
That well explains what I think of the video.

I've never listened to any of these projects. The video has peaked my interest though.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbVII Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:13 am

This is a killer album!! It is a shame that it has no low end punch. As much as that sucks, I still want to listen to it over and over. JMO but I like this better than Nevermore. If the production was in line, this would be about the best 2014 dropped.
RobbVII
RobbVII
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:31 pm

You think it has less low-end punch than old SANCTUARY?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by CMB Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:18 pm

It's excellent, but it doesn't feel like a Sanctuary album through and through to me. Warrell's falsetto is used more sparingly than I think I was expecting (in hindsight, I guess it should be expected; the older you get, the harder it probably is for most) and for that reason, I found myself thinking it sounds like either a new Warrel solo album or that they were trying to recreate their own version of Dreaming Neon Black. (Holy run-on sentence!) But I enjoy it immensely, but it really doesn't have much in common with Refuge Denied and Into the Mirror Black.
CMB
CMB
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:26 pm

RobbVII wrote:This is a killer album!! It is a shame that it has no low end punch. As much as that sucks, I still want to listen to it over and over. JMO but I like this better than Nevermore. If the production was in line, this would be about the best 2014 dropped.

it's got plenty of low end punch.....that's actually what make this so sonically different from the Sanctuary sound of the past.  The guitars and Warrel's vocal performance both have a fair amount of low-mid range to them, the bass is clear and audible, you can actually hear what is being played instead of it getting buried under the guitars.  Warrel's vocals take up a HUGE amount of sonic space in the mix, and the drums just sit farther back in the mix than in the typical modern "Andy Sneap" style mix and production job that oversaturates metal these days.

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:27 am

I finally finished listening to this.

WOW this is a boring album.  Some good moments and maybe a good song or two.  I like the leads most of all.  The vocal lines are boring.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Don't necessarily disagree with ya.

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:32 am

Ok. I've listened to this a few times now. Its pretty good, but i still hear more " Nevermore " than " Sanctuary " when I play it. 

Essentially, I will say if your longing for a " Warrel Dane " project....this will satisfy.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum