The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The review request thread! ( ^ - ^) ♪♫♫♪♫

+7
rfw1994
Through The Dark Radio
Driven
Gandalf the White
Ariel,seekeroftruth
rideronawhitehorse
Hguols
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The review request thread! ( ^ - ^) ♪♫♫♪♫ - Page 2 Empty Re: The review request thread! ( ^ - ^) ♪♫♫♪♫

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:27 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
unworthy wrote:took me a second to figure that one out lol

Lol unworthy. It rhymes with "crowell movement"...Shocked

I got it. just took a few seconds...

first time I ever heard that phrase was when my grandmother asked me when my last one was before I went to the hospital ... after she told me what it was, I was like "grandma!" .. she said "well, they're gonna ask.." .... and they did. lol

Back to top Go down

The review request thread! ( ^ - ^) ♪♫♫♪♫ - Page 2 Empty Re: The review request thread! ( ^ - ^) ♪♫♫♪♫

Post by Hguols Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 pm

unworthy wrote:I'll give it a review if you send it to me.

Sent! ( ^ - ^)

rideronawhitehorse wrote:Hey Tom, want to review our upcoming album for us? I figured I would ask you because you are into BM and I know your really honest.

I'll be very honest and say that I'm not the best at reviewing. I seriously haven't "reviewed" an album since high school.

I'll listen to it first, but I don't want to promise anything at this time.
Hguols
Hguols
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.ankouawaits.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rideronawhitehorse Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:03 am

lol, I guess it's better than an un-bm lol. Besides having a healthy routine, I am looking for someone who is familiar with the style to write a review. Tom, check out the samples on our page and let me know if it's something you would be interested in writing about.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Antivenom/201481989948550?sk=app_2405167945

rideronawhitehorse
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Hguols Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:16 pm

I dig the vocals, the guitars and the riffs.
I actually really like this type of raw production. It has great atmosphere. I'd prefer to have a different mix, but its not bad.
The vocals are SUPERB. Sound really good.

Dude, the music is not tight at all. The instruments sound like they waver in and out of timing from each other and get out of beat.
This ruins the music for me completely. Sad

I think it might be entirely the drums. The blast beats are horrible. Do you need me to lay down a few drum tracks for you? I could do this for you man.

I know how painstaking it is to record something, but seriously... I wouldn't put something out there that has this sort of timing issues. Its very unprofessional. There's no way I could write a review of this stuff.

I'm sorry if that's harsh. Just droppin' it like its hot.
Hguols
Hguols
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by rideronawhitehorse Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 am

Hguols wrote:I dig the vocals, the guitars and the riffs.
I actually really like this type of raw production. It has great atmosphere. I'd prefer to have a different mix, but its not bad.
The vocals are SUPERB. Sound really good.

Dude, the music is not tight at all. The instruments sound like they waver in and out of timing from each other and get out of beat.
This ruins the music for me completely. Sad

I think it might be entirely the drums. The blast beats are horrible. Do you need me to lay down a few drum tracks for you? I could do this for you man.

I know how painstaking it is to record something, but seriously... I wouldn't put something out there that has this sort of timing issues. Its very unprofessional. There's no way I could write a review of this stuff.

I'm sorry if that's harsh. Just droppin' it like its hot.

Do unto others as you would have done to you.

rideronawhitehorse
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Hguols Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:08 pm

I'll agree with that.

I had some good reviews for my 1st album, but to be honest, my 2nd album wouldn't be the caliber it is if it wasn't for someone's brutal honesty about what was wrong with the first release.
Hguols
Hguols
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Hguols wrote:
unworthy wrote:I'll give it a review if you send it to me.

Sent! ( ^ - ^)

I got it man I'm makin' time to listen to it a few more times. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hguols Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing what you have to say about it!
( ^ - ^)
Hguols
Hguols
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by rfw1994 Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:31 am

rideronawhitehorse wrote:lol, I guess it's better than an un-bm lol. Besides having a healthy routine, I am looking for someone who is familiar with the style to write a review. Tom, check out the samples on our page and let me know if it's something you would be interested in writing about.

I reviewed both Ankou Awaits albums, and some other black metal releases like Gorath's latest, Mhorgl's Heresiarch, Smohalla's Resilience, Anima Mundi's latest. If you like me to take a look, feel free.
rfw1994
rfw1994
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://deathmetalbaboon.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rideronawhitehorse Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:51 am

rfw1994 wrote:
rideronawhitehorse wrote:lol, I guess it's better than an un-bm lol. Besides having a healthy routine, I am looking for someone who is familiar with the style to write a review. Tom, check out the samples on our page and let me know if it's something you would be interested in writing about.

I reviewed both Ankou Awaits albums, and some other black metal releases like Gorath's latest, Mhorgl's Heresiarch, Smohalla's Resilience, Anima Mundi's latest. If you like me to take a look, feel free.

I don't know if it's professional or up to the caliber as Ankou Awaits but shoot me an e-mail bro and we will set something up.

rideronawhitehorse
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:59 am

This is for two people:

rideronawhitehorse: I reviewed Ankou Awaits newest album at Amazon.com and would be glad to review yours somewhere - I don't blog so you pick the place.

Hguols: After listening to the Crog Buidhe album several more times, and being an amateur guitarist, what equipment and settings did you use on this album? The tone is unique.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rfw1994 Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 am

rideronawhitehorse wrote:
rfw1994 wrote:

I don't know if it's professional or up to the caliber as Ankou Awaits but shoot me an e-mail bro and we will set something up.

Is it still the forestlove e-mail adress? And this is professional, it will be like this: http://deathmetalbaboon.com/album-review-ankou-awaits-crog-buidhe, at least. Perhaps it will be even bigger as this month, a few metal blogs will merge into an even bigger one. Like MetalSucks-size.
rfw1994
rfw1994
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by rideronawhitehorse Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:10 pm

rfw1994 wrote:
rfw1994 wrote:

Is it still the forestlove e-mail adress? And this is professional, it will be like this: http://deathmetalbaboon.com/album-review-ankou-awaits-crog-buidhe, at least. Perhaps it will be even bigger as this month, a few metal blogs will merge into an even bigger one. Like MetalSucks-size.

Yeah, still the same e-mail. Lol, I was saying that our music may not be professional qauality since I have only been playing drums for 6 months and I couldn't track down a chimp to lay down some type writer tracks for us.

rideronawhitehorse
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by rfw1994 Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:25 pm

rfw1994 wrote:
rfw1994 wrote:

Yeah, still the same e-mail. Lol, I was saying that our music may not be professional qauality since I have only been playing drums for 6 months and I couldn't track down a chimp to lay down some type writer tracks for us.

Alright, but no worries, I listened to the reverbnation stuff and I liked it. Btw, I just listened some more, but the widget went crazy, so it played Shadows Fade twice over each other at the same time. That was total chaos! I'll hit you up.
rfw1994
rfw1994
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:53 pm

how long does encyclopedia metallum take to post a review?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 pm

^ I was wondering that as well. I sent my review in on April 5th and it's still waiting for approval.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:54 am

that's even longer than the one I put in lol ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Hguols Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Well, I thank you guys for submitting the reviews.

I know Spirit of Metal states that it can take up to 72 days for a review to show up. (yes, that's 72, not a typo) The actual review was up in just a few though...

Considering that EM has a lot more traffic that spirit of metal, it might even be a few weeks...

._.
Hguols
Hguols
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:10 pm

well.. mine is there.. pending.. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hguols Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Unworthy, your review is TOTALLY worthy.

Seriously man. That's good stuff!!!!

Very thorough and professional! I enjoyed reading the whole thing! Read it twice even!

You, my friend, need to have a blog...
Hguols
Hguols
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by rfw1994 Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:42 am

Hguols wrote:Unworthy, your review is TOTALLY worthy.

Seriously man. That's good stuff!!!!

Very thorough and professional! I enjoyed reading the whole thing! Read it twice even!

You, my friend, need to have a blog...

I'd like to read that then Smile
rfw1994
rfw1994
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:46 am

Lyrically: This album is a concept
album based on a medieval storyline similar in style to Tolkien about a
hero named Conall. While I would consider myself a fan of story concept
albums, I think the one on this album is a bit of a hit and miss. While
the writing style and vernacular are really spot on, I found that the
storyline was obfuscated by the fact that the story was really two
stories. What I mean by that is that it starts out with the boys having
killed royalty and are together with their father on a search for a
steed to clear their name, but then another story of another kingdom
with another king is told. To me it would seem that it would have been
much more effective if the entire outlying story of their search for the
steed were left out as I think it made it a little bit to complicated.
The story, however, is well written and fairly enjoyable; kind of a mix
between Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales. Overall, I like it.

Musically: Some albums take a few listens before they really can
be ingested, enjoyed, and appreciated. This, to me, was one of those
albums. Though I must say that after a number of listens that this album
has most certainly grown on me and has left quite a different taste in
my mouth then it did upon my initial listen.

The music itself is black metal defined by some serious blast beats,
over toned-to-death guitar, and vocals that almost leave you with the
taste of vomit and the inkling of pain in your throat. It is not
overproduced, nor does it sound like it was recorded with someone's tape
deck.

Negatives: First, I am not a big fan of the guitar/drum
interaction at times (listen to the sample of the first track to
understand what I mean). The slow, almost doom like, prodding of the
guitar with the ferocious beats behind create a gut reaction of two
forces working against each other; one trying to speed things up and the
other slowing things down. Once I listened to it a few times it began
to become apparent that it is exactly what it is; these two forces. In
the midst of it all, they create a mesh of opposing forces that drives
the songs on. While I certainly gained an appreciation for it, I still
just don't much like it.

Secondly, I don't like the vocals he used for the king's quotes. I
couldn't understand them at all and it was almost hard to tell if there
was anything being said at all; even when I had the lyric sheet right
next to me.

Last, I thought the album was a bit monotonous. While there were some
rhythm/timing changes in the album, and I think vocally he did an
awesome job, musically the album just didn't really grab my attention as
much as it could have. This, however, is mostly because it is, by
definition, black metal and black metal that doesn't have other
instrumentation or doesn't incorporate other sub-genres of metal into it
tends to sound that way to me.

Positives: First, the vocals. Apart from those few moments of
king quotes, the vocals are absolutely spot on. Honestly I don't know
how he does it as it hurts my throat just listening to it. Kind of an
"I can't decide if I have a sore throat or have to defecate!".

Secondly, apart from the above mentioned musical aspects, the whole
album. The album is absolutely top notch and spot on to what a black
metal album should be. It has all the necessary trademarks. If you like
black metal, I would highly recommend you give this album a listen.

Songs: My favorite is "Island Lost in Mist" - the opening of this
song almost takes my breath away, and wish they'd have done a whole
song like that with that more slow, prodding, orchestral sound.

Lyrically: 7/10
Musically: 9/10
Overall: 8.5/10

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Ankou_Awaits/Crog_Buidhe/334164/impending_embolism

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:17 pm

I got an email two days ago saying my review was rejected. I'll have to rewrite it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 pm

The thread title shows up as this in my email viewer:

VG9waWMgUmVwbHkgTm90aWZpY2F0aW9uIC0gVGhlIHJldmlldyByZXF1ZXN0IHRocmVhZCEgKCBeIC0gXikg4pmq4pmr4pmr4pmq4g==mas=
Driven
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Signet Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 pm

I've got a couple songs I could use a review on, But they're either retro hard-rock or not all that rocky at all. :/
Any takers?

Signet
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next