The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive?

+10
Kerrick
TZ75
deathisgain
Pethead
Grindboy
Temple of Blood
a_donkey-named-kevin
Constantine
crucifyd
My Awesome Timothy
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How much is do you spend on the following….

Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap11%Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap20%Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 20% 
[ 7 ]
Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap20%Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 20% 
[ 7 ]
Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap9%Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap3%Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
[ 7 ]
Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 35

Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive?

Post by Tobi Elektrik Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:42 pm

A few observations from my personal (German / European) point of view:

1. Today I hear again and again that CDs have become more expensive. They currently cost 15 to 17 Euros in stores. (This also corresponds to the prices e.g. at Nordic Mission.) I remember that a newly released album CD in my youth cost between 28 and 33 Deutsche Mark.
They currently cost 15 to 17 Euro in stores. The exchange rate between Deutsche Mark and Euro was about 2:1 when the new currency was introduced in 2002. According to this exchange rate, CDs in this country currently cost the same as in 1995!

2. However, the inflation since 1995 amounts to 48%. Accordingly, a CD should cost 23.65 Euro today. This corresponds currently rather to the average price of a vinyl LP, whose production, handling and storage are much more price-intensive.

3. The decline in sales of physical media is forcing labels to increase sales prices. Especially in the Christian scene we have releases with production numbers of only 500 pieces or less. Especially for bands with little live activity or in case of re-releases, the entire business is only through the internet. At a live concert, people are quicker to grab a CD than on the Internet, where they have to pay shipping costs.

4. At the same time, production prices have risen dramatically, especially in the last two years. There were increases of 20% or more! Especially vinyl production is a costly business with long waiting times and constantly rising prices. On the one hand vinyl is a hot topic right now, but the profit margin is not necessarily bigger than with CDs, because many factors make this medium more expensive.

5. Oh well, the shipping costs... Within Germany, CDs can still be shipped at a very low price. Vinyl LPs are much more expensive. As soon as you ship abroad, it becomes BRUTALLY expensive, especially outside of Europe:
1 CD: 11 Euro
1 vinyl record: 16 Euro
Uninsured and without tracking! With tracking and insurance the prices are at least twice as high!
Even if a band / label sends a larger number of CDs to a distributor abroad, this adds noticeable costs. For example, if you send 10 CDs, that's about 3 Euro more per album, which is either charged to the band or the distributor if you want to keep prices stable. Or it will be added to the final price and has to be paid by the customer. Then even plus taxes!

Conclusion: I think in many cases prices have EFFECTIVELY not really gone up because we often compare to prices 10 or 20 years ago and don't factor in inflation. Also, due to decreased sales, production prices per unit have increased significantly. Increased prices therefore often do not mean increasing profits for the labels or artists. I rather assume the opposite. And depending on the country of origin and shipping destination, shipping prices can completely ruin the fun.
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood and Andreas89 like this post

Back to top Go down

Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Christian Metal Cassettes’s CD’s and Vinyl getting too expensive?

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:18 am

I used to sell a lot of CDs in Europe, especially Germany, and even Japan.  It really hurts to have that market gone.  That market greatly prefers physical product over digital.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Andreas89 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:17 am

To simply answer the poll, I'd be willing to pay up to 20 euros for a CD, and up to about 8 euros shipping costs. All in all it feels weird to pay more than 25 euros for just one CD, although there are a few cases where I did exceed that amount (Reflection of Glory comes to mind). There are some new non EU releases that I would be interested to buy that are tickling or even exceeding that upper limit, and that happens more often than it used to. And that's not something exclusive to Christian bands, it's quite common for independent artists.

A bigger difference can be seen in the second hand market; Christian metal CDs tend to be worth more there than their secular counterparts. Maybe that could inspire Christian bands to sell their CDs for a higher price in the first place, I don't know.

As for Germany, it's quite true that there's a relatively big market for physical products (there are still lots of stores that sell audio books on CD!). I think this has to do in part with the relatively strict enforcement of IP laws. Besides, shipping within Germany is pretty cheap actually, especially with independent artists it's usually like 2 euros. And I'm not quite sure how but when I bought that Vanaheim album earlier this year, shipping to Germany was cheaper than shipping within the Netherlands.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2