The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virgin Steele - what happened?

3 posters

Go down

Virgin Steele - what happened? Empty Virgin Steele - what happened?

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:00 am

After a not-so-great start with their debut album, Virgin Steele released 3 really solid Manowar-meets-Savatage-meets-Van Halen heavy/power metal albums in the 80s. Then came the Whitesnake / Bad Company-influenced curve-ball Life Among The Ruins in 1993. Another solid album despite the stylistic change. 

Then comes a string of 6 albums that contain some of my favorite music ever. They focused much less on the more "commercial" aspects of their sound and delivered some of the finest crafted heavy/power metal that I can only describe as "majestic". This era alone makes them one of my all-time favorite bands. The writing was excellent and David DeFeis was one of the best voices in Metal.

The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell Part One (1994)
The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell Part Two (1995)
Invictus (1998)
The House Of Atreus Act I (1999)
The House Of Atreus Act II (2000)
The Book Of Burning (2002)

Something happened between 2002 and 2006.

Ever since Visions Of Eden was released in '06, this band has been in serious decline. Some of the material they've put out since then had a lot of potential, but most just ends up sounding like demos that were never properly developed. The quality has also deteriorated dramatically. The musicianship has gone downhill and DeFeis' voice seems totally shot. I know the guy's eccentric as all get-out, but that doesn't excuse the quality of the music. I mean Ted Kirkpatrick was eccentric and quirky but Tourniquet's music was always of high-caliber, no matter the stylistic changes. 

I'll always cherish the music these guys created before 2006 and still consider them one of my favorites. 

The epic, intriguing, yet very sad saga of a once-brilliant band. 

Any thoughts?
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele - what happened? Empty Re: Virgin Steele - what happened?

Post by Black Rider Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:48 am

I don't think we'll completely know but Deferis took completely over and somewhere along the line, lost the original sound.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:15 am

I agree that David's voice is not what it was and he took over the writing and if you ask me, he just doesn't have enough strong ideas to support the volume of music he puts out.  They also need a good producer to edit some of his more OTT cheesy moments.  

Also, Ed Pursino (extremely under-rated guitarist) having to get a full time sales job to make ends meet probably hasn't helped, as he is busy elsewhere.

About that first album, keep in mind that the American metal scene was still in it's relative infancy back when that came out.  Also although they are hometown boys, much of the NY/NJ based metal and hard rock back then was very meat and potatoes and lyrics were mainly the typical sex, party, and rock n' roll kind of nonsense.  Not something I'm happy about but thankfully things progressed over time.

Also, I happen to think "Children Of The Storm" from the debut is a brilliant track and first hearing it in 1982 on the U.S. Metal Vol. II compilation was very eye-opening because nothing was out there like it at the time.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm

Constantine wrote:I agree that David's voice is not what it was and he took over the writing and if you ask me, he just doesn't have enough strong ideas to support the volume of music he puts out.  They also need a good producer to edit some of his more OTT cheesy moments.  

Also, Ed Pursino (extremely under-rated guitarist) having to get a full time sales job to make ends meet probably hasn't helped, as he is busy elsewhere.

About that first album, keep in mind that the American metal scene was still in it's relative infancy back when that came out.  Also although they are hometown boys, much of the NY/NJ based metal and hard rock back then was very meat and potatoes and lyrics were mainly the typical sex, party, and rock n' roll kind of nonsense.  Not something I'm happy about but thankfully things progressed over time.

Also, I happen to think "Children Of The Storm" from the debut is a brilliant track and first hearing it in 1982 on the U.S. Metal Vol. II compilation was very eye-opening because nothing was out there like it at the time.

I agree the debut does have its moments, but the quality upgrade between the first album and Guardians Of The Flame is significant. Not as dramatic as say Kill 'Em All to Ride The Lightning, but it is a huge step up. Of course after Guardians they made an even better one with Noble Savage (my favorite 80s VS album). 

I would love for them to make one last brilliant epic, but I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for that one LOL!
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down