The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rank the Theocracy Albums!

+23
seth
StevenCressler
bgsully
Sevenoneself
Frozen Fire
Snert I
zelote
Friday13th
BringItDown
Ammocas
Joelpz27
Beckster13
the Ceiling
Kerrick
mothy
Staybrite
Follower of Jesus
scottmitchell74
alldatndensum
Black Rider
Fundy
eatbugs
Pethead
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rank the Theocracy Albums!  Empty Rank the Theocracy Albums!

Post by Pethead Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:57 pm

It's about time we have a ranking thread on the (un)official house band of the CMR. So let's get to it! 

1. Ghost Ship

Consistently awesome. Some of their best riffs and most memorable hooks (which, for Theocracy, is saying a lot). There isn't a song on here I don't love and I've probably listened to it more than the others combined. 

(VERY SLIGHT GAP. RAZOR THIN.)

2. Mirror of Souls

For a long time, this was top for me. It still is in a very tight race with Ghost Ship. The songs are all awesome with great choruses and there's a good variety of sounds here. The title track is my favorite Theocracy song and Absolution Day is right behind it. A masterpiece. 

(BIGGER GAP)

3. Theocracy

I haven't had this one as long, but it's still excellent. I don't think there's a bad song on it. Great stuff. 

(SLIGHT GAP)

4. As the World Bleeds

I know this will be controversial, but I think this is the weakest primarily because it's the most inconsistent. Half of it is flat-out awesome and among the best of their career. The other half ranges from quite good to skip-button ("The Gift of Music"). It's still leagues ahead of pretty much any other power metal, of course, because it's THEOCRACY. But I think it's the weakest of their works. However, it was actually the first Theocracy I got and it made me a fan, so I certainly like this album! 

Theocracy rules (play on words somewhat intended).
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Rank the Theocracy Albums!  Empty Re: Rank the Theocracy Albums!

Post by eatbugs Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:03 pm

1. As the World Bleeds.  It's their best one musically and lyrically.  "I Am" is maybe my favorite song by anyone ever.

2. Mirror of Souls.  Almost as good as ATWB but the title track drags a little in the middle.  I don't mind long songs but that one's a stretch.

3. Ghost Ship.  Good songs but this one feels more like a collection of songs than a complete album (does that make sense?).

4. Theocracy.  I like it, but not as well as the others.  There's nothing bad to say about it other than I like the others better.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Friday13th and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:06 pm

eatbugs wrote:1. As the World Bleeds.  It's their best one musically and lyrically.  "I Am" is maybe my favorite song by anyone ever.

2. Mirror of Souls.  Almost as good as ATWB but the title track drags a little in the middle.  I don't mind long songs but that one's a stretch.

3. Ghost Ship.  Good songs but this one feels more like a collection of songs than a complete album (does that make sense?).

4. Theocracy.  I like it, but not as well as the others.  There's nothing bad to say about it other than I like the others better.
There are definitely some killer lyrics on AtWB. "Hide in the Fairytale" is one of my favorites lyrically (as well as musically).
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:20 pm

1. As the World Bleeds.  Incredibly album.  "I Am" is probably one of the best songs ever written.

2. Mirror of Souls.  Just as good as ATWB, but possibly could have done with another 'short' song.  Absolution Day is amazing (especially the lyrcs)

3. Ghost Ship.  Another brilliant album, difficult to see how an album this good could only come third... but the other two are near perfect.

4. Theocracy.  I'd give this album 8.5/10.  Matt did this by himself.  It shows off his abilities and skills.  Love this.
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:14 pm

Mirror of Souls-Has their best song, Laying the Demon to Rest, song flat out rocks.

ATWB

Ghost Ship

Theocracy

They have no bad songs, just some better then the others.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:36 pm

They are a great band, and I have even seen them open for Disciple.  However, I just can't get into them.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Black Rider wrote:
“The Gift of Music” begs to differ  Razz
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:07 pm

Mirror of Souls

I'll have to listen to the others to figure their rank.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:19 am

I reckon Gift Of Music's lyrics are exceptional.

Close your eyes, you little dreamers
Numbered as the grains of sand
Do you believe there is a treasure you can't hold in your hand?
Stewards of My great Creation
I will give this gift to you
A language that can speak your heart when words could never do
The melodies will give you wings to fly above Creation
Whenever you can't find the words to say
So My child, I give this gift to you and all the nations
So you can give it back to Me one day
See the child, ashamed and broken
Words can never come out right
Dreams of failure dance in his head every single night
But twelve words in a simple language suddenly make sense somehow
That little boy, once shy and awkward, stands before you now
The melodies will give you wings to fly above Creation
Whenever you can't find the words to say
So My child, I give this gift to you and all the nations
So you can give it back to Me one day
Music is Your masterpiece, Your signature and smile
The glorious crown jewel of all Creation
Gave a voice and sense of wonder to this lonely child
Whose melodies ring forth Your coronation now
And the strings crescendo like the sunrise in the sky
The percussion section thunders like the stormclouds
In their wonder up on high
The brass is roaring like the mighty ocean's tide
Creation is music, and music is Creation
All the earth, a symphony of balanced majesty
All of life, a melody with four-part harmony
The rhythms march in great complexity
Creation is music, and music is Creation, let it sing
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 am

I love The Gift of Music! Why all the hate for that song?!

Anyway, on to the rankings:

1. ATWB, and it’s not even close. This is an exceptional album. Not a single skip track on it for me. Lyrics are awesome, songwriting and playing came together perfectly. Punchy production. It has it all. And I agree with others that I Am is Theocracy’s greatest song.

2. MOS - Another fantastic album. It could have used more solos (a reason ATWB is better). But songs like Laying the Demon to Rest and Bethlehem are killer.

3. Theocracy - The songwriting here was awesome and for it being a single person doing it all, it’s almost unbelievable. But the full band and better production on future releases have relegated this down the list.

4. Ghost Ship - Outside a couple of good songs, especially Around The World and Back, I didn’t get into this album at all. It was well played and produced; I just didn’t like the songs.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:02 pm

I'm not a huge power metal fan, but I really dig this band.  Kind of tough to pick a favorite between the first two albums.

Mirror of Souls - Laying the Demon to rest is without a doubt my a favorite Theocracy song, also Bethlehem and Absolution Day are fantastic.

Theocracy - I played this album to death so much so that both my sons really like it as well and neither of them are metal fans.  The Serpent's Kiss, Sinner, Victory Dance...just fantastic

Mirror of Souls is just barely beat out by the debut.  I AM and Hide in the Fairytale are just excellent.

Ghost Ship is easily my least favorite.  I just couldn't connect with this one as well as with the first three for some reason.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm

I honestly cant rank them. My copout is a complete tie.

They all have so many strong points.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Fundy, Kerrick, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Staybrite wrote:I'm not a huge power metal fan, but I really dig this band.  Kind of tough to pick a favorite between the first two albums.

Mirror of Souls - Laying the Demon to rest is without a doubt my a favorite Theocracy song, also Bethlehem and Absolution Day are fantastic.

Theocracy - I played this album to death so much so that both my sons really like it as well and neither of them are metal fans.  The Serpent's Kiss, Sinner, Victory Dance...just fantastic

As The World Bleeds Mirror of Souls is just barely beat out by the debut.  I AM and Hide in the Fairytale are just excellent.

Ghost Ship is easily my least favorite.  I just couldn't connect with this one as well as with the first three for some reason.

This is my ordering as well, though ATWB and GS are basically tied for me and are quite a bit lower than the first two albums.  ATWB has a couple songs I really like (I AM and the title track) though the rest are a fair bit weaker* IMO.  Ghost Ship is overall a more consistent album but there aren't any songs that really stand out from the rest to me.

* "weak" Theocracy is still pretty dang good, but compared to their other material, I much prefer the first two albums.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Black Rider, 1620 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:32 pm

Kerrick wrote:
* "weak" Theocracy is still pretty dang good, but compared to their other material, I much prefer the first two albums.

Absolutely, "weak" Theocracy is still better than a ton of stuff out there.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Kerrick, mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by the Ceiling Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:37 am

Black Rider wrote:Mirror of Souls-Has their best song, Laying the Demon to Rest, song flat out rocks.

ATWB

Ghost Ship

Theocracy

I second this ranking
the Ceiling
the Ceiling
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Beckster13 Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:46 am

Great question...my favorite band...listening to their Christmas stuff right now...how do we rank that?!?!

1. Ghost Ship

2. Mirror of Souls

3. Theocracy

4. As the World Bleeds

Beckster13
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:49 am

Beckster13 wrote:Great question...my favorite band...listening to their Christmas stuff right now...how do we rank that?!?!

1. Ghost Ship

2. Mirror of Souls

3. Theocracy

4. As the World Bleeds
This is the correct order.  Razz
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:56 pm

Beckster13 wrote:Great question...my favorite band...listening to their Christmas stuff right now...how do we rank that?!?!

In December it's #1.

In the 11 other months it's #3 behind As the World Bleeds and Mirror of Souls (the correct order).

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelpz27 Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:53 am

1 Mirror of Souls - the title track was my introduction to long songs, and completely changed my perception of what music could do. Also was one of the clearest presentations of the gospel I heard since Romans, but way easier to understand Razz

2 As The World Bleeds - As stated before, I Am is mind-blowing, and the little tidbits and easter eggs throughout prove it's creative depth... like the time signature minusing 1 beat per measure in the middle of I Am, or the 12 notes signifying all the musical notes in "Gift of Music"

3 Ghost Ship - Not as groundbreaking or overarching as the above two, but solid all the way around.

4 Theocracy - A fantastic debut, I like the remaster better with the live drums as production quality is a dealbreaker for me. 

Would love to see a Theocracy Christmas music poll Smile 

Favorite band ever!
Joelpz27
Joelpz27
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Fundy, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:45 pm

1- Mirror Of Souls (all time fav Theocracy song Laying the Demon To Rest)
2- As The World Bleeds (I Am-great song)
3- Theocracy (many great songs and thankful for the real drums and remaster)
4- Ghost Ship (my least favorite but a solid album overall)

*if their Christmas songs were considered a real album it might fall into the #4 or #5 spot for me…my favorite song would be the Christmas Medley.
*oh yeah….I am a fan of “The Gift of Music”…lol!
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BringItDown Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:14 pm

Theocracy is a band whose literal only conceivable weakness is the band name, and - even then - I now associate the word moreso with the band than with crusades. It's simply a matter of getting new listeners past the band name.

I try to tell people it's like Dream Theater with thrash and better vocals and soaring, memorable choruses. 

I'd rank them as 

1. As The World Bleeds. There is a very haunting element in Matt's voice. But not in a gothic nor overly dark way, but in a way where there's an adventure and he's like this minstrel or spirit guide like in Muppets Christmas Carol but who occasional breaks the fourth wall and takes up sword against the dragons and hydras. While Theocracy is a Top 20 All Time band for me, it's typically the guitar work that stands out. On this album, the vocals could not be more elite. They are the standout on this album, and the band does its own adventuring with the way they blend genres. Almost every time I've heard a band try to mix punk or hardcore with power/fantasy/AOR, I cringe. And yet, "Light of the World" is an exquisitely ethereal pop punk song with flourishes of power and thrash. It has so much ENERGY. The vocals on that song and others - particularly when it's layered - remind me of Boston. "Altar to an Unknown God" has serious DT vibes, but has a much more anthemic chorus than I often hear in all progressive metal floating around the globe.

2. Ghost Ship because it has "Wishing Well", "The Wonder of it All", "Castaway", "Stir The Embers" and "Easter". I don't often return the rest of the album except when I'm driving into certain gorgeous cities where I love to listen to "Around the World and Back". I heard Matt pretty much did this album himself. 

3. Mirror of Souls. This is the album that made everyone stand up and pay notice. At least six stone cold classics on here, yet I think they upped the intensity on subsequent albums. Even on a sleepier song like "The Writing in the Sand", you can see how the vocals make this band a cut above the average power metal band.

4. S/T. It's good, however I simply don't click on it as often as the others.

BringItDown
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:04 pm

eatbugs wrote:1. As the World Bleeds.  It's their best one musically and lyrically.  "I Am" is maybe my favorite song by anyone ever.

I agree with everything eatbugs said.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

eatbugs and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:06 pm

As The World Bleeds
Mirror of Souls 
Ghost Ship 
Theocracy

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:44 pm

1. As the world bleeds - Great songs incl. Gift of Music, dislike some progressive breaks though
1. (tie) Theocracy - love the positive "vibe" on the debut
2. Mirror of Souls
3. Ghostship

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 pm

My list goes in the unacceptable/unorthodox opinions thread. Smile

As The World Lies Bleeding - best songs, best solos. Not big on The Gift of Music but the rest is amazing and the title track and Altar to the Unknown God are two of my favorite metal tracks ever. If I have nothing on my mind to listen to, those two tracks go on.

Ghost Ship - love the mix of aggressive tracks (Paper Tiger, The Wonder of It All, Stir the Embers) and more pop metal tracks (Around the World and Back, Currency In This Bankrupt World). Every track is great but the highs aren't as high as ATWLB.

Theocracy - my first Theocracy. Super catchy, warm, diverse, progressive in all the best ways. The fact that it was rerecorded with live drums put this a step up above Mirror of Souls.

Mirror of Souls - I was always disappointed with this album after the debut. Something about it never clicked. Beyond Laying The Demon to Rest there isn't another track that I truly go crazy for. It was more professional in every way (production, performances, packaging). Yet, at the time I was in a power metal crazed world and this album sounded more like everything else I was hearing. It sounded ordinary. I thought the writing was more unique on the debut and still do.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next