The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR

+7
Kerrick
eatbugs
Pethead
Constantine
Temple of Blood
Black Rider
My Awesome Timothy
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR  Empty WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR

Post by My Awesome Timothy Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:16 am

Do you listen to bands or albums from artists that you really like and you wonder  “Why on earth are they not more popular?!!

For example, you might post something online and get very little response and wonder what is wrong with you!!!  🤭

I will start this thread by mentioning the band MESSENGER from Sweden.  They released an album or I should say EP in 2014 called ‘Perfect Storm’.  I remember posting the news of this release here at CMR with very little response.  confused

This short EP was outstanding from start to finish and for me holds its own when comparing the older classic Christian Metal releases.  It’s too bad they only did one EP and a demo before this.  I hope one day they reunite and make more music.

So what other artists and bands deserve the limelight?  Share your hidden gems that you think should be given a second chance!!!

https://angelicwarlord.com/reviews/m/messenger14.html
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR  Empty Re: WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR

Post by Black Rider Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 am

I thought Red Sea should've been bigger, love that album.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

My Awesome Timothy, Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR  Empty Re: WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR

Post by My Awesome Timothy Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:10 am

Black Rider wrote:I thought Red Sea should've been bigger, love that album.

I agree I love this album to, definitely a gem.  Would have loved further music from them to.
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:29 am

Black Rider wrote:I thought Red Sea should've been bigger, love that album.

It was heavily Led Zep influenced and came out in 94. That's the kiss of death. But yeah, high quality stuff FFO Badlands, LZ, Kingdom Come, etc.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

mothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:01 am

There are many.  For now I can only name a few:

Ancient Prophecy - German band, a successful mixture of Power, Progressive, Death, Gothic, Modern Thrash, and melodic metal 

Valor - Classic power / speed metal band from the 80's

XIII Minutes - Cool groove metal band from Oklahoma

Letter 7 - Straight ahead 80's metal

Angelic Forces - galloping 80's-style Priest / Maiden metal

Faith Factor - Intense American 80's-style power metal with a modern twist

Gloriam Dei - Great Euro power metal band from Finland

Place Of Skulls - Victor Griffin's doom / biker rock band

Messenger - The East Coast classic hard rock band

Deth Enemy - super-good hard rock / AOR band from Australia

Arvinger - Unblack metal from Norway

They Wither - Unique black metal band from South Africa

Dawnbreaker - unblack metal with thrash elements from the NY/NJ area

Crowned In Sorrow - brilliant death/doom metal

OneMustFall - Great Euro power metal from Finland

All For The King - Groove-oriented modern metal / AOR from Sweden

PFR - Really good pop songwriting & harmonies

Dogs Of Peace - same

The following do not identify as Christian bands, but have some Christian or Christian-friendly content:

Dark Sky - German band, Helloween meets the Scorpions

Mercury Fang - Swedish band, hard rock / AOR with modern production and a strong 70's and 80's flair. 

Everthrone - Highly artistic, brilliant melodic prog. metal band

Last edited by Constantine on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

My Awesome Timothy, Pethead, Maxtron01 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am

Adorned in Ash - Hard to describe band with a good "extreme" metal sound
Biogenesis - modern metal played well with a nod to some traditional sounds
Temple of Blood - old school thrash played by perhaps the most handsome man on the internet, or galaxy.  A must have for any music fan who likes notes, rhythms, musical instruments, sounds, or good-looking men
Antithesis - awesome progressive power metal with excellent playing and songwriting
Enshrouding - great death metal of the creative but not necessarily brutal variety
Sacredfice - great melodic power/thrash metal a la Metal Church, etc.
Deth Enemy - excellent hard rock with some good songs and musicianship
Consuming Fire - excellent brutal death metal with great drumming FFO Cannibal Corpse/Morbid Angel
Deus Invictus - very interesting progressive death metal FFO Cynic, Atheist, Martyr, etc with a more brutal and modern twist
David Benson - great 70s Black Sabbath homage
The Great Gamble - (thanks Devon Hill) brilliant prog metal that needs a CD release
Wickeds End - Temporal pain demo - very cool thrash if you like old Slayer or Sepultura
Spirits Breeze - well-done South American brutal death metal a la Krisiun
Stryper - neo-shoegaze-core heavily influenced by Theocracy and other extreme metal
Inside Mankind - fascinating progressive metal with truly operatic female vox
Narrow Gate - that band Dream Theater fans have been looking for
Misery Chastian - cool brutal death metal
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

My Awesome Timothy, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:48 am

Some great picks so far! 

Idle Cure: amazing AOR

Pierce Pettis: best singer-songwriter music I’ve ever heard

Barnabas: early Christian hard rock that seems relatively forgotten compared to others

Bloodline Severed: killer melodeath 

Final Axe/Titanic/Menchen: fantastic classic metal

Legend/Legend 7: great MHR

Mark Heard: excellent songwriter 

Minier: good thrash 

Seventh Avenue: not nearly popular enough to reflect their quality.

Steve Taylor: tied with Bob Hartman as CCM’s best lyricist

Temple of Blood: excellent power thrash with the second most handsome man (the author of this post is first)

Acetametalphen: avant-garde improv Metal that defies easy classification

I’m sure I’ll think of others.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

My Awesome Timothy and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:56 am

Cat O' Nine Tails.  Even within Christian metal circles they're not talked about.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:00 pm

Pethead wrote:Acetametalphen: avant-garde improv Metal that defies easy classification

Acetaminophen has always been one of my favorites too.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:09 pm

eatbugs wrote:Cat O' Nine Tails.  Even within Christian metal circles they're not talked about.
From Finland?   I checked them out, not my cup of tea but interesting concept - A Christian Pirate band scratch  BK
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:19 pm

Constantine wrote:
eatbugs wrote:Cat O' Nine Tails.  Even within Christian metal circles they're not talked about.
From Finland?   I checked them out, not my cup of tea but interesting concept - A Christian Pirate band scratch  BK

Wow, really? Link please.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Pethead wrote:Acetametalphen: avant-garde improv Metal that defies easy classification

Wait, what is the correct spelling of this band?  I looked under both spellings above and can't find anything.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 pm

This seems to be one of their better and more straight-ahead songs.   
Some are just oddly structured and not particularly tuneful.

Last edited by Constantine on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Constantine wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Wait, what is the correct spelling of this band?  I looked under both spellings above and can't find anything.
It's Acetametalphen, which is a play on Acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol). 

It's actually some music my friend and I recorded back in college, but we never made it public anywhere, except for a goofy music video on YouTube that's pretty hard to find. It was just us messing around with some recording software and we were both into thrash and death metal, so that's what came out. It's not professional in the slightest, but it was sure fun to do. I added it to the list for fun.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Constantine wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I found it. We called ourselves Salem at first, but changed it to Acetametalphen, which fit the goofy lyrics better. 

Keep in mind this was a project for fun, not done professionally or anything. Much of the music was improvised and recorded separately. Also keep in mind that this was 14 years ago!

Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:43 pm

Constantine wrote:This seems to be one of their better and more straight-ahead songs.   

It's odd to me that metal so desperately wants to create new genres that this is what they latch onto.

I can't say it's bad, nor can I say I ever want to hear it again.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Constantine wrote:This seems to be one of their better and more straight-ahead songs.   

It's odd to me that metal so desperately wants to create new genres that this is what they latch onto.

I can't say it's bad, nor can I say I ever want to hear it again.
I should make a new even narrower sub-genre called "Giant Squid Metal" where all I sing about is giant squids and each track has ocean sounds in it.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Pethead wrote:

It's actually some music my friend and I recorded back in college, but we never made it public anywhere, except for a goofy music video on YouTube that's pretty hard to find. 
Lol, it has potential!   I like the 80's-style screams.

Yeah, I got some of that "long lost stuff" on You Tube as well, but I'm not identifying myself as having been involved despite people asking who the members are (we used fake goofy names).   I wrote some catchy songs but the lyrics were very unChristian as I was not a Christian at the time.  I did not put any of it on You Tube because I destroyed all my copies of the demos, but they are still floating around out there and being talked about, which feels very weird.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:50 pm

Pethead wrote:

I should make a new even narrower sub-genre called "Giant Squid Metal" where all I sing about is giant squids and each track has ocean sounds in it.
If you include Octopuses I will volunteer my (limited) guitar playing services.   I can write catchy riffs so the choruses will be guaranteed to stick in people's heads whether they like it or not....!  face palm
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Constantine wrote:
Pethead wrote:

If you include Octopuses I will volunteer my (limited) guitar playing services.   I can write catchy riffs so the choruses will be guaranteed to stick in people's heads whether they like it or not....!  face palm
I like it. "Cephalopod Metal." I'll do the drums. We'll make some waves. (Sorry).
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Pethead wrote:

I like it. "Cephalopod Metal." I'll do the drums. We'll make some waves. (Sorry).
You’re kracken me up!  It's a deal!   We can call ourselves Squid Row   WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR  1f604  WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR  1f606  WHICH BANDS DO YOU LOVE AND THINK SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR  1f605 

....Or Ink Floyd!    cheers lol!
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Pethead wrote:I should make a new even narrower sub-genre called "Giant Squid Metal" where all I sing about is giant squids and each track has ocean sounds in it.

Someone already beat you to the punch!
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Giant_Squid/83500

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:33 pm

Kerrick wrote:
Pethead wrote:I should make a new even narrower sub-genre called "Giant Squid Metal" where all I sing about is giant squids and each track has ocean sounds in it.

Well, not all their lyrics are cephalopod related. And do they have ocean sounds in every track?
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:43 pm

Haha I doubt it.  So I guess you've still got monopoly on that niche!  Very Happy

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:13 pm

Pethead wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

Well, not all their lyrics are cephalopod related. And do they have ocean sounds in every track?
As a seventh grade science teacher who covers cephalopods, loves metal and owned the band's material, I did not find them useful for metal or science.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next