The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fave underrated 80s thrash band(secular)

+3
Pethead
Constantine
Contrarian Deist
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fave underrated 80s thrash band(secular) Empty Fave underrated 80s thrash band(secular)

Post by Contrarian Deist Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:14 pm

Most underrated 80s thrash band NOT in the big 10(which includes...Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Death Angel, Kreator, Sepultura)....though if you like you can include your fave ONE from this list too after mentioning your fave underrated ONE not in that list. And also if you'd like your top 5 fave thrash bands(secular)of all time...in order of fave to least fave preferably.

I'd do one of those POLL things but I cant figure out how to create one here. (But it could include bands like Dark Angel, Sacred Reich, Forbidden, Sodom, Destruction, Atrophy, Annihilator, Razor, Voivod, Sacrifice, Suicidal Tendencies, Sadus, Slaughter, and many more...)

For example, mine
Fave underrated one not in the big 10...
FORBIDDEN

Fave from the big 10(and fave of all time)...
TESTAMENT

🤘🤘🤘

Top five trash bands of all time are.
TESTAMENT
OVERKILL
SLAYER
FORBIDDEN
METALLICA/MEGADETH tie
In that order.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Fave underrated 80s thrash band(secular) Empty Re: Fave underrated 80s thrash band(secular)

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:40 am

Don't do this to me! I have way too many thrash favorites! Razz

I'll go with a top 5 underrated (and even that's really hard and I'm having to leave some off):

1. Annihilator
2. Paradox
3. Dark Angel
4. Coroner
5. Rosicrucian

Back to top Go down

Fave underrated 80s thrash band(secular) Empty Re: Fave underrated 80s thrash band(secular)

Post by Contrarian Deist Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:06 am

UltraMagnus wrote:Don't do this to me! I have way too many thrash favorites! Razz

I'll go with a top 5 underrated (and even that's really hard and I'm having to leave some off):

1. Annihilator
2. Paradox
3. Dark Angel
4. Coroner
5. Rosicrucian

Good list.
I've never heard of Paradox or Rosicrucian. A band named after the order of the rosy cross/Rosicrucianism? Interesting. 🤔 I shall have to loo, them up.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:25 am

Rosicrucian only made 2 albums. Their 2nd album No Cause For Celebration is excellent.

They had a cool Tourniquet-like quirkiness about them. After 2 albums, they changed their name to Slapdash for a while and then split up. I think one of the guys started the death metal band Carnal Forge sometime later if I remember correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:40 am

I have a Carnal Forge album actually, which someone gave me.
Interesting.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:55 am

A few more underrated:

Accuser
Onslaught
Artillery
Acid Reign
Heathen

Flotsam And Jetsam and Wrathchild America are both underrated, but neither are straight-up thrash.

Laaz Rockit could qualify, but only after their first 2 albums which were in more of a heavy/power metal style.

I'm sure I'm still forgetting some. Thrash is one of my favorite genres.

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:16 pm

Fav from the Top Ten:

Testament

Top 5 Underrated Not From The Top 10:

1. Coroner
2. Sacrament
3. Sodom
4. Paradox
5. Artillery
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Contrarian Deist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:16 pm

Constantine wrote:Fav from the Top Ten:

Testament

Top 5 Underrated Not From The Top 10:

1. Coroner
2. Sacrament
3. Sodom
4. Paradox
5. Artillery

Nice to see another Testament fanatic here😎

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:44 pm

Top 5 thrash bands:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Underrated (gonna stick with secular, because all Christian thrash could be considered underrated):

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

TZ75, Contrarian Deist and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Pethead wrote:Top 5 thrash bands:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Underrated (gonna stick with secular, because all Christian thrash could be considered underrated):

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

Shout out to Coroner and Dark Angel!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Contrarian Deist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Sabbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:38 am

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

Not ALL Christian thrash(as there are a number of not very good, original bands and derivative ones...just as with *secular* thrash)...but a number are indeed severely underrated(just as with *secular* thrash)....Tourniquet, Seventh Angel, Sacrament, Betrayal, Early Deliverance, Early Vengeance Rising(before they became an underrated death metal band)- and a few others.
😉🤘

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:14 am

Contrarian Deist wrote:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

Not ALL Christian thrash(as there are a number of not very good, original bands and derivative ones...just as with *secular* thrash)...but a number are indeed severely underrated(just as with *secular* thrash)....Tourniquet,  Seventh Angel, Sacrament, Betrayal,  Early Deliverance, Early Vengeance Rising(before they became an underrated death metal band)- and a few others.
😉🤘

Vengeance Rising always had a death metal slant - especially with Roger mainly using a growling vocal style. The growls started getting deeper and the music shifted more toward an early death metal sound on Destruction Comes. Then you have Released Upon The Earth, in which the music and vocal delivery were even closer to full-on death metal. I'm thinking that if Roger had kept the band together, the next album ('94 or '95) would have been straight up death, blast beats and all. I think the ship had sailed on thrash for the time being (at least in North America), and death/black metal had fully usurped the extreme metal throne by that point. On a side note, the Vengeance Rising logo is one of my all time favorites. It just has that intense/foreboding look to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:32 am

Contrarian Deist wrote:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

Not ALL Christian thrash(as there are a number of not very good, original bands and derivative ones...just as with *secular* thrash)...but a number are indeed severely underrated(just as with *secular* thrash)....Tourniquet,  Seventh Angel, Sacrament, Betrayal,  Early Deliverance, Early Vengeance Rising(before they became an underrated death metal band)- and a few others.
😉🤘
Sure, but the sucky ones wouldn’t make any of my underrated lists anyway Smile
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Contrarian Deist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:34 am

UltraMagnus wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

😉🤘

Vengeance Rising always had a death metal slant - especially with Roger mainly using a growling vocal style. The growls started getting deeper and the music shifted more toward an early death metal sound on Destruction Comes. Then you have Released Upon The Earth, in which the music and vocal delivery were even closer to full-on death metal. I'm thinking that if Roger had kept the band together, the next album ('94 or '95) would have been straight up death, blast beats and all. I think the ship had sailed on thrash for the time being (at least in North America), and death/black metal had fully usurped the extreme metal throne by that point. On a side note, the Vengeance Rising logo is one of my all time favorites. It just has that intense/foreboding look to it.
As much as I love the music on the first two VR albums, I think Roger’s vocals improved over time. I find his vocals on Destruction Comes and Released upon the Earth to be far better than on the first 2, even though I think the first 2 have overall stronger songs.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Contrarian Deist and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:53 am

Pethead wrote:
UltraMagnus wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

😉🤘

As much as I love the music on the first two VR albums, I think Roger’s vocals improved over time. I find his vocals on Destruction Comes and Released upon the Earth to be far better than on the first 2, even though I think the first 2 have overall stronger songs.

I agree. Destruction Comes was the weak point song-wise (even though I still think it's a good album). Released Upon The Earth started to get back on track IMO.

My take on it:
The first two had the same lineup, which had been together for several years, and wrote more as a group. Studio musicians (with the exception of Johnny Vasquez who actually toured with VR) were recruited for the last two, with Martinez alone being the primary songwriter. I think if he had managed to recruit a stable recording/touring lineup that the songs would have started to improve on the next release or two. Either that or Roger may have gotten better as a solo songwriter. Sadly, we'll never know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:53 am

UltraMagnus wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

😉🤘

Didn't Roger's earlier vocals have sort of a Exodus and teutonic thrash type higher pitched *eeaahh* thing goin on? And their earlier music also kinda Exodus meets suicidal tendencies?

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:54 am

Pethead wrote:
UltraMagnus wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

😉🤘

Yeah released was brutal. I love that album.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:17 am

Contrarian Deist wrote:
UltraMagnus wrote:
Contrarian Deist wrote:

Tourniquet
Anthrax 
Metallica
Testament 
Megadeth 

Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Annihilator 
Viking 
Hirax 
Coroner

😉🤘

Didn't Roger's earlier vocals have sort of a Exodus and teutonic thrash type higher pitched *eeaahh* thing goin on? And their earlier music also kinda Exodus meets suicidal tendencies?

On the first two, he sounded like a cross between Cronos and Paul Baloff, with maybe some Darkness Descends era Don Doty mixed in. I think Martinez had a little more grit and growl than they did though, and took it a little more low register at times ("From The Dead", "The Whipping Post", "The Wrath To Come", etc.)
Then of course he started to incorporate even more lower register growls on the next two albums, especially on Released. I think he must have gotten inspired to go more in that direction by working with Mortification on their self-titled album.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Megadeth is hands down my favorite thrash band, you can't touch those classic lineup albums. That said, I'll take Testament over Slayer any day, they were more diverse and nuanced in their sound.

Laaz Rockit  is my favorite non top 10, I think their name held them back. I'd also give nods to Realm and Toxik, high quality stuff and Sacrament holds their own with anybody.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Superjuice and Contrarian Deist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Testament seems to be a big fave w/many of us. I agree Black Rider. Megadeth is in my top 5, but Testament will always be my fave...absolute gods! Still kicking arse! Them and Overkill actually are the only old thrash bands that just keep kicking serious butt!, getting better and better and adding nuance and to their music over time but still keeping close to their original sound as well in such a way that no other oldschool thrash bands(or newer ones) can even touch their greatness!
Hail Testament and Overkill!
(Also the underrated Forbidden!)

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:22 pm

I think the most underrated thrash band is Dark Angel but I am VERY VERY tempted to say Artillery.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:24 pm

I’ve gotten really into Artillery. So good.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:42 pm

Cyclone Temple is great. At least the album "I Hate Therefore I Am" (only one I've actually heard lol). Good lyrics too.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Superjuice and Temple of Blood like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:48 pm

StevenCressler wrote:Cyclone Temple is great. At least the album "I Hate Therefore I Am" (only one I've actually heard lol). Good lyrics too.

They have a very unique style that Dark Angel borrowed a bit from IMHO and their guitarist has an amazing right hand rhythm guitar technique.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next