The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keel - The underrated....

4 posters

Go down

Keel - The underrated.... Empty Keel - The underrated....

Post by alldatndensum Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 am

I have been listening to the collected works of Keel over the past few days.  I can not understand why this band wasn't bigger than they were.  They had the sound, the look, and wrote great anthems that had cool riffs and big hooks.  They weren't the heaviest band, but they were better than some of the bands that did end up getting more attention by radio and MTV.  Ron Keel had a versatile voice considering that he is a natural baritone.  

While they had a string of albums out over several years and then a couple of later albums, too, this band was seriously underrated and should have gotten more attention than they did.

alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Keel - The underrated.... Empty Re: Keel - The underrated....

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:54 am

I actually know Ron a little bit.  I got to know him first by interviewing him, then by getting to hang out with him at SkullFest.  I text him from time to time.  He is an EXTREMELY nice, humble guy, who works hard and enjoys his fans.  I wish I could go to KeelFest next month, where KEEL, Steeler, and The Ron Keel Band will all be performing, but I just can't make it.

I have his entire catalog...country stuff, Iron Horse, Fair Game, Ron Keel Band, KEEL, Saber Tiger...I have it all.  I also have his book, which, if you haven't read it, is a really good look into his life and how he got to where he did.

Here is a link to my interview with him...  Glitter2Gutter Interview

As to why they weren't bigger...there are a couple of factors, I think.  One, very much like Y&T, and as you described, they didn't really fit one specific niche in the hard rock/metal world.  Too hard/heavy to be glam/hair, not heavy enough to be "metal".  They wrote some KILLER anthems..."United Nations" is one of my all-time favorite songs, regardless of genre...but they never had that big ballad that would break them to radio and MTV.  Yes, they had ballads, but not that ballad, the big power ballad.

Secondly, they got basically ZERO label support.  None.  There wasn't even a second single released from the KEEL record after "Somebody's Waiting" failed to do what MCA hoped.  

But, you have to admire the band...they never stopped.  They went to smaller labels, put out the Larger Than Live effort, the Back In Action record, Streets Of Rock N Roll...all these things, despite the fact that they got no label support, no radio support, and no video play.

His new Ron Keel Band record, Fight Like A Band, has elements of KEEL as well as Metal Cowboy all intermixed.  Yes, there are country rock moments, but there are also flat out KEEL moments, and it is a great, great record if you haven't heard it yet.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty
The Strongest Man In The World

http://www.Glitter2Gutter.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:39 pm

Had a couple Keel cassettes back in the day and I agree with arttie, they weren't a natural fit in any one genre. Lots of bands like this, Y & T like he said but also Killer Dwarfs, Leatherwolf and Helix come to mind too.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Leatherwolf, definitely. Killer Dwarfs and Helix were hampered a bit by geography, as well.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty

http://www.Glitter2Gutter.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Yet Loverboy, Triumph and Rush broke big. Hard to tell with the music biz.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Hate the album cover, but I always liked some of the material from "Lay Down The Law," especially the title track and "Speed Demon."   Those are cool songs.

Agree that Keel were too heavy and not pretty enough for the glam/hair scene, and not hard enough for the "real" metal crowd.   Same thing essentially happened with bands like Vinnie Vincent Invasion and (to some degree) Icon, Black 'N Blue, Lillian Axe, Shark Island, Hittman, and others.

Killer Dwarf's "Stand Tall" was an excellent record, I played it a lot back in the day.  After that, I thought their song-writing just wasn't as good aside from "Dirty Weapons." 

I liked Leatherwolf immediately upon hearing their first E.P. (later turned into a full album).  Never thought they'd get signed to a major, but they wrote some great material while signed to Island.   They are excellent musicians and are incredibly tight live.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Icon is a great example and were a very good band.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:26 pm

Black Rider wrote:Icon is a great example and were a very good band.
The 1st Icon album blew my socks off.   I admit to not liking the 2nd when it first came out.

After many years and a few separate attempts I revisited it, until I finally came to appreciate it.

In fact I think that overall it is an excellent release.

Still iffy about "Right Between The Eyes," however....not quite on board with that one yet. Neutral
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down