The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves VINYL & CD re-issue

+4
ACL7
eatbugs
Hardcore Christian
Soundmass.com
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves VINYL & CD re-issue Empty LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves VINYL & CD re-issue

Post by Soundmass.com Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 am

https://www.soundmass.com

LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves
Pre-order your VINYL, CD or VINYL/CD/BOOK pack now!

Soundmass are happy to announce their vinyl and CD re-issue of the LIGHTFORCE album Mystical Thieves. First released by US label Pure Metal in 1989, original copies of this heavy/power/speed metal classic have been hard (and expensive!) to find in any format for many years. 30 years on, all the members of the band having been tracked down, Mystical Thieves is being made readily available again on vinyl and CD, remastered for a superior metal experience.

Everybody knows Lightforce as the predecessor to Mortification, the Australian death/thrash band fronted by Lightforce bassist Steve Rowe. However, Lightforce was a totally different beast, heavily influenced by the early 80’s metal of bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Rowe’s driving bass lines emulating Steve Harris, combined with Murray Adams’ adept guitar playing and Errol Willenberg’s technical drumming are a homage to the bands that inspired them, while still putting their own spin on the style. The quality musicianship on display here didn’t go unnoticed either, seeing them gain support slots for the likes of Stryper, Whitecross and Leviticus, but this line-up didn’t see the year out and their follow-up album, though written, was never recorded. A new line-up, a new style, new songs… and Mortification was born!

The 12-page booklet for this 30th Anniversary Edition of the Mystical Thieves CD contains an array of previously unseen photos and flyers, as does the vinyl insert. And to top it all off, we have also included 6 bonus live tracks on the CD that were recorded during a show supporting label-mates Whitecross in 1989 (4 of which they intended to record on the next album!)

**EXCLUSIVE VINYL/CD/BOOK PACK**

Exclusive to a Mystical Thieves vinyl/CD pack from Soundmass, and with less than 90 copies available, is a 2019 reprint of the book Metal Missionaries. Originally printed in 1989, Metal Missionaries (not to be confused with Vic Campbell’s Metal Missionary) is a 68-page book written by Lightforce/Mortification bassist Steve Rowe. The purpose of the book was to enlighten people about the heavy metal culture and to encourage Christian metal fans and bands (back when the scene was in its infancy). The original style of the book has been maintained so as to preserve its vintage feel. By purchasing this pack, international customers will also make a combined product/shipping saving of GBP £4.50.

Soundmass.com
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves VINYL & CD re-issue Empty Re: LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves VINYL & CD re-issue

Post by Hardcore Christian Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:58 pm

affraid
Epic way to start this year
Will definitely pick this up!

I own a cassette copy and a CD/vinyl copy is no longer just a dream Surprised
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves VINYL & CD re-issue Empty Re: LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves VINYL & CD re-issue

Post by eatbugs Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Great news!  I'd also love to see the old Lightforce demos reissued on CD.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ACL7 Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:45 am

It's interesting Steve Johnson the vocalist wasn't mentioned in the write up yet the other three members were. There maybe nothing in it but I wonder if he is trying to distance himself from that record considering it was heavily Christian.

ACL7
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 pm

ACL7 wrote:It's interesting Steve Johnson the vocalist wasn't mentioned in the write up yet the other three members were. There maybe nothing in it but I wonder if he is trying to distance himself from that record considering it was heavily Christian.

Was he not a Christian, or one who has left the faith?
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Sabbatharian wrote:
ACL7 wrote:It's interesting Steve Johnson the vocalist wasn't mentioned in the write up yet the other three members were. There maybe nothing in it but I wonder if he is trying to distance himself from that record considering it was heavily Christian.

Was he not a Christian, or one who has left the faith?

I remember a interview with Steve and he was asked about a Lightforce reunion and he said no since some of the later lineup was no longer Christians
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 pm

I think he should, or should have. Not really a reunion, but just resurrect the name, put Mort to bed and find a great singer and go that route.
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:21 am

I think he did put Mortification to bed.  In the biography he talked about doing a solo raspy blues project.  Nothing ever came of it, maybe because of health?

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by JPK72 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Unfortunately I doubt Steve's health is not good enough to play a long set anymore, last time I spoke to him he had just picked up his Bass for the first time in months but this was nearly a year ago now
JPK72
JPK72
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Soundmass.com Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:57 am

Vinyl, CDs and Vinyl/CD/Book packs are now shipping!

Soundmass.com
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Got mine yesterday! Seriously one of the best re-issues ever!

LIGHTFORCE: Mystical Thieves VINYL & CD re-issue 51113637_259388698273913_1853296246137915063_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.cdninstagram
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Any chance of getting the demos (including Battlezone) reissued?

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:27 am

eatbugs wrote:Any chance of getting the demos (including Battlezone) reissued?
I second this Smile
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:43 am

I wore out my Battlezone cassette. Would really like a standalone CD reissue though I do own the 1986-1989 compilation which does contain both of the albums.

How are the bonus live tracks on this release?

Back to top Go down

Post by Soundmass.com Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:46 am

Erasmus wrote:How are the bonus live tracks on this release?

Live In Sydney, 1989
Trinity
Back To Basics
Children Of Sorrow
Epidemic Of Injustice
Metal Missionary
God Rulz

Soundmass.com
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by JPK72 Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Soundmass.com wrote:

Live In Sydney, 1989
Trinity
Back To Basics
Children Of Sorrow
Epidemic Of Injustice
Metal Missionary
God Rulz
Do you know if these were recorded at Blackstump 89, If so I was there, was a fun weekend, we wre singing metal missionary all weekend of the festival
JPK72
JPK72
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Soundmass.com Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:22 am

JPK72 wrote:
Soundmass.com wrote:

Live In Sydney, 1989
Trinity
Back To Basics
Children Of Sorrow
Epidemic Of Injustice
Metal Missionary
God Rulz
Do you know if these were recorded at Blackstump 89, If so I was there, was a fun weekend, we wre singing metal missionary all weekend of the festival

No, this was from a gig supporting Whitecross in Sydney.

Soundmass.com
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 am

Pretty sure I was at this gig. Would this have been out Penrith way? My memory is poor with specifics though.

Back to top Go down

Post by JPK72 Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Soundmass.com wrote:
JPK72 wrote:
Soundmass.com wrote:

Live In Sydney, 1989
Trinity
Back To Basics
Children Of Sorrow
Epidemic Of Injustice
Metal Missionary
God Rulz

No, this was from a gig supporting Whitecross in Sydney.
Well lucky then because I was at that gig too lol, thanks for the info
JPK72
JPK72
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 pm

This is a really well done reissue. Very much enjoy having a copy of this CD in my collection once again. Listening to this album with fresh ears has made me appreciate how much punk influence is in their music.

Now eagerly await the arrival of the Battlezone CD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Erasmus wrote:This is a really well done reissue. Very much enjoy having a copy of this CD in my collection once again. Listening to this album with fresh ears has made me appreciate how much punk influence is in their music.

Now eagerly await the arrival of the Battlezone CD.
Me too! After only having a cassette copy the CD version is great! The vinyl is one of the nicest re-issues I have seen on vinyl

Gonna jump on that Battlezone pre-order next week as well Smile
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by JPK72 Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:05 am

Erasmus wrote:Pretty sure I was at this gig. Would this have been out Penrith way? My memory is poor with specifics though.
I was at the Penrith Whitecross gig as well, fun times
JPK72
JPK72
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:30 pm

Indeed. The Christian music scene was quite active and there were always gigs to go to.

Back to top Go down

Post by ACL7 Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Could you imagine the Mystical Thieves lineup reforming? A one off gig or a new album? Murray was a great guitarist and I think Errol is still drumming. I'm not sure how Steve Johnson would feel about reforming!! They are all post christian now( according to a Steve Rowe interview) so I guess as Steve Rowe wouldn't be too keen but they could get a new bassist. I wonder what happened to Cameron Hall from Battlezone?

ACL7
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by JPK72 Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:45 am

Erasmus wrote:Indeed. The Christian music scene was quite active and there were always gigs to go to.
Did you ever get to see Cry Mercy, The Toerags etc also I remember seeing Guardian in I think 95-96 in Sydney
JPK72
JPK72
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next