The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seventh Avenue

+4
Black Rider
mothy
Andreas89
Pro-Zak
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Seventh Avenue Empty Seventh Avenue

Post by Pro-Zak Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:48 pm

So, are they pretty much the Christian version of Helloween?
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Seventh Avenue Empty Re: Seventh Avenue

Post by Andreas89 Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:52 am

I don't know if it's the (early) Helloween sound they try to emulate. There's some similarity with early Helloween, especially the Walls of Jericho album. I'd say it's more Gamma Ray and vaguely early Blind Guardian they sound like. The biggest difference between those bands and SA is that unfortunately, SA's album tend to get overlong and boring. Maybe it's a lack of talent for self-editing; each album I know by them has about 40-45 worth of good music, the other 20-30 minutes are just annoying.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:17 am

I don't know, I quite like the band. Singer reminds me of the latter Helloween vocalist.
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:02 am

Although a 1 album and done band this is really Helloween like

mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:48 am

Sabbatharian wrote:I don't know, I quite like the band. Singer reminds me of the latter Helloween vocalist.
Glad you like them Smile  Langhans' voice has become increasingly raspy, not unlike Andi Deris indeed. He sounded more like Kiske on Southgate though.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:43 pm

mothy wrote:Although a 1 album and done band this is really Helloween like

Wow, this really is quite good!  Metal 1
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 am

I think they started with a lot of Helloween influence but kind of branched out over time. 
That Adiastasia is good, too bad they only did one album.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Back in the days I was pretty glad to have found two christian bands (Seventh Avenue and Lightmare) playing European Powermetal in the vein of Helloween.

What I like most about Seventh Avenue is their melodic guitar work - their instrumentals Storm II and Storm III are great in my opinion! And Seventh Avenue was a great live band.

As for Adiastasia: The production of the first release was lacking bass and I think, that made it a hard listen for me. Recently, after a long time, I gave it a new chance, turning up the bass a lot - and it sounded pretty good!

As far as I know, the album was re-released with better production several years ago.

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:14 am

Snert I wrote:
As for Adiastasia: The production of the first release was lacking bass and I think, that made it a hard listen for me. Recently, after a long time, I gave it a new chance, turning up the bass a lot - and it sounded pretty good!

As far as I know, the album was re-released with better production several years ago.

Yes, I just ordered that version the other day.
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:18 am

Yes, like Helloween, Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian and not original in any way. Wouldn’t crack my top 20 Christian metal bands, but I still think they’re quite good melody and harmony-wise, hitting their stride on Southgate with some more variety and progressive touches. I like the singer a lot, same guy for Sinbreed which is also very good.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:25 am

Andreas89 wrote:I don't know if it's the (early) Helloween sound they try to emulate. There's some similarity with early Helloween, especially the Walls of Jericho album. I'd say it's more Gamma Ray and vaguely early Blind Guardian they sound like. The biggest difference between those bands and SA is that unfortunately, SA's album tend to get overlong and boring. Maybe it's a lack of talent for self-editing; each album I know by them has about 40-45 worth of good music, the other 20-30 minutes are just annoying.
Just my impressions about the lenght of Seventh Avenue albums.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:32 am

Friday13th wrote:Yes, like Helloween, Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian and not original in any way. Wouldn’t crack my top 20 Christian metal bands, but I still think they’re quite good melody and harmony-wise, hitting their stride on Southgate with some more variety and progressive touches. I like the singer a lot, same guy for Sinbreed which is also very good.

Yea, not sure it would for me either, but still enjoy them. So who would you put above them in this genre?
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
Andreas89 wrote:I don't know if it's the (early) Helloween sound they try to emulate. There's some similarity with early Helloween, especially the Walls of Jericho album. I'd say it's more Gamma Ray and vaguely early Blind Guardian they sound like. The biggest difference between those bands and SA is that unfortunately, SA's album tend to get overlong and boring. Maybe it's a lack of talent for self-editing; each album I know by them has about 40-45 worth of good music, the other 20-30 minutes are just annoying.
Just my impressions about the lenght of Seventh Avenue albums.
That was my biggest problem with them, I love everything about them but just the simple fact of most of their albums having a few songs too many, they are not regularly spun

Last edited by Hardcore Christian on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:23 pm

You might like these bands too, they are sort of Helloween-ish:

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:08 pm

@Pro-Zak Seventh Avenue is one of the best Christian power metal bands, but of them all I only adore Theocracy. Matt Smith’s songwriting is head and shoulders above the rest imo. Other good ones are Sacred Warrior, Narnia, Harmony, and Divinefire, but unless it’s top notch power metal like Theocracy it doesn’t thrill me as much. My favorite metal genres are thrash and progressive metal, so progressive thrash bands like Tourniquet and Believer are longtime favorites

Extol is one of the few extreme metal bands I enjoy (they are progressive and thrashy), but Mortification, Paramaecium, Living Sacrifice, Kekal and Antestor are some exceptions. I love Saviour Machine (second overall behind Theocracy), and Virgin Black is similar gothic metal and very good.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:07 am

That Dark Star is pretty good, never listened to them before.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 am

Friday13th wrote:@Pro-Zak Seventh Avenue is one of the best Christian power metal bands, but of them all I only adore Theocracy. Matt Smith’s songwriting is head and shoulders above the rest imo. Other good ones are Sacred Warrior, Narnia, Harmony, and Divinefire, but unless it’s top notch power metal like Theocracy it doesn’t thrill me as much. 

Yea, I enjoy those bands much more than SA as well, but not really because they are better, but a different breed of Power Metal. Not really speed metal like SA, Helloween, Sinner et al, but more songs w/chunky riffs you can sink your teeth into, and the epic jams as well.
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 am

Black Rider wrote:That Dark Star is pretty good, never listened to them before.

Yeah, I just discovered Dark Sky a few weeks ago in a You Tube surf session.  They are a German band.
I am not sure if they consider themselves a Christian band entirely, but their last album ("Initium") is a concept album about the death and resurrection of Christ, so clearly something is there.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:35 am

Friday13th wrote:@Pro-Zak Seventh Avenue is one of the best Christian power metal bands, but of them all I only adore Theocracy. Matt Smith’s songwriting is head and shoulders above the rest imo. Other good ones are Sacred Warrior, Narnia, Harmony, and Divinefire, but unless it’s top notch power metal like Theocracy it doesn’t thrill me as much.
Well to be quite honest, if I were to take one step back and look upon the genre and the bands more objectively (if such a thing is even possible), I'd say that Theocracy is the only band that genuinely has a place in the absolute top of power metal. There's bands with potential (thinking of Northern Flame and maybe Fearless at the moment), but potential does not equal achievement.

And I'm not sure if I would place SA in a top 20 of best christian power metal bands. I mean, I'd rank about any band with Christian Liljegren above them, so that's at least four bands before them Razz 
I am happy that people enjoy SA though.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:19 am

Speaking of Harmony, what happened to them?
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Just got my copy in the mail of the Adiastasia album, thanks to this thread

Pretty epic album through and through  Rockin Loud
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Pro-Zak wrote:

Yea, I enjoy those bands much more than SA as well, but not really because they are better, but a different breed of Power Metal. Not really speed metal like SA, Helloween, Sinner et al, but more songs w/chunky riffs you can sink your teeth into, and the epic jams as well.

Good point. Yeah, I generally like the heavier power metal bands and the ones with a darker, progressive edge. Kamelot is a good example. 

Pro-Zak
Speaking of Harmony, what happened to them?

Half the members from Harmony are also in Darkwater, and given Darkwater released a great new album this year they've probably been busy. Obviously former members Henrik Bath and the keyboardist left Harmony because, from what I hear, they never really got down with the whole Christian thing. Harmony hasn't released anything in a while and it may be because of difficulty finding permanent replacements,, but hopefully they keep on Daniel Heiman. The band has been blessed with some great singers.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Andreas89 wrote:
Well to be quite honest, if I were to take one step back and look upon the genre and the bands more objectively (if such a thing is even possible), I'd say that Theocracy is the only band that genuinely has a place in the absolute top of power metal. There's bands with potential (thinking of Northern Flame and maybe Fearless at the moment), but potential does not equal achievement.

And I'm not sure if I would place SA in a top 20 of best christian power metal bands. I mean, I'd rank about any band with Christian Liljegren above them, so that's at least four bands before them Razz 
I am happy that people enjoy SA though.

Friday13th:
LOL Agreed overall, but I think we could squeeze SA in there just based on SA being one of the oldest and releasing a good amount of material. Christian Liljegren is obviously very prolific, a great singer and a lot of it very good, no doubt. The Enter the Gate album has always been my favorite. He also makes some very cheesey music videos if we're being honest!  Razz

I've never heard of Northern Flame or Fearless. Are they new? I recall you and I have some pretty similar tastes, so would you mind shooting me a couple songs from them? I'll probably enjoy.

Last edited by Friday13th on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:23 am

Friday13th wrote:

Christian Liljegren is obviously very prolific, a great singer and a lot of it very good, no doubt. The Enter the Gate album has always been my favorite. He also makes some very cheesey music videos if we're being honest!  Razz

Say it isn't so!
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:54 am

Friday13th wrote:

I've never heard of Northern Flame or Fearless. Are they new? I recall you and I have some pretty similar tastes, so would you mind shooting me a couple songs from them? I'll probably enjoy.

Northern Flame is a band of guitarist Niclas Buss from Finland. They released a demo and EP in 2005, but it took them 9 years to release a full album named "Glimpse of Hope" in 2014. Meanwhile Buss was busy with Hilastherion and other projects.
I love the guitar work of Buss on this album.

Since we have also similar tastes when it comes to Powermetal, I think you'll like them:

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next