The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Sweet - "We were complete morons"

+17
Frozen Fire
Pro-Zak
Driven
mr.electric40
bigtreads
Airola
Follower of Jesus
messiaen77
Temple of Blood
jaydeecrawson
Highway Star
eatbugs
Superjuice
bassdude
Black Rider
deathisgain
MikeInFla
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Michael Sweet - "We were complete morons" Empty Michael Sweet - "We were complete morons"

Post by MikeInFla Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:29 am

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Michael Sweet - "We were complete morons" Empty Re: Michael Sweet - "We were complete morons"

Post by deathisgain Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:25 pm

It's funny how a lot of fans see "Against the Law" differently than Michael does. When I first heard it, I loved it. It was exactly what I wanted at that time. Musically I think it is one of their tightest albums and most consistently musically.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Michael Sweet - "We were complete morons" Empty Re: Michael Sweet - "We were complete morons"

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:38 pm

I totally understand and respect Michael feelings about Against the Law. It's mainly because of what happened behind the scenes.
But, compare their behaviour, decisions regarding clothes and appearance to what musically is on the album is like comparing oranges and apples.

The album is really good and it has a great vocal work on it. Some of my favorite Stryper songs are from this album.
What can we say about that? It is some sort of magic that happens in music industry. Even though everything looks to be out of place and time a good album comes to frution.

It is a similar thing when I think of Deliverance what a joke. Even though there was a lot of fighting between jimmy and george, even though they wished to quit the label at that time and besides the jokes itself, it is a stellar album.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:34 am

deathisgain wrote:It's funny how a lot of fans see "Against the Law" differently than Michael does. When I first heard it, I loved it. It was exactly what I wanted at that time. Musically I think it is one of their tightest albums and most consistently musically.

I feel exactly the same. I really disliked the sound of IGWT but ATL was awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Why is it bands do some of their best work when they are struggling?
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassdude Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Black Rider wrote:Why is it bands do some of their best work when they are struggling?
Struggles produce strong emotions, both positive and negative, which makes for good songwriting.
ATL is very near the top of my favorite Stryper albums...great songs and very singable.
bassdude
bassdude
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Against the Law is better than any of their more recent output.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 pm

I actually agree Superjuice, the new ones are kind of sounding alike.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:36 am

Musically it's their best 80's output.  Lyrically it's their worst.  It was the first Stryper I bought and if I didn't know they were a Christian band I wouldn't have thought it was Christian (as a teenager I had no concept of "Christians in a band").

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Highway Star Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 am

Superjuice wrote:Against the Law is better than any of their more recent output.

I agree, Its easily my favorite Stryper release. I must be in the minority because almost everyone else seems to love their last several albums but something just seems off or missing in their recent work to me. Maybe I’m just an old geezer stuck in the past.
Highway Star
Highway Star
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 am

Against the Law is my fav Stryper album and I have the record flat framed on my wall in my man cave

it's real, raw, ballsy, rebellious and there are some awesome songs on it

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 am

Superjuice wrote:Against the Law is better than any of their more recent output.

That's my impression as well.

It seems common that artists associate their art with that time in their lives, and it colors their perception.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 am

I thought maybe that was a new song from his upcoming solo album.

As for ATL, I loved that album and that was the album I listened to most during their hiatus.  I hated IGWT, but ATL sounded like the sound the rest of the hair metal world was moving toward.  Lyrically, I still heard the Christian content, but wasn't beaten over the head with it, and at that point in my life, that was what I was looking for.  I understand Michael's view on it, but I respectfully disagree.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:22 am

messiaen77 wrote:I thought maybe that was a new song from his upcoming solo album.
lol!

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 pm

I liked the songwriting on ATL but I’m not a big fan of the guitar tone. The mix was terrific; the bass really popped and gave the record some real punch. In fact, besides the guitar tone, I really like that record. It’d be interesting if they did the “Second Coming” treatment and re-recorded a lot of those songs with the right guitar tone and modern production. Here’s hoping they re-record songs from both IGWT and ATL.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Highway Star Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Please,  NO modern production
Highway Star
Highway Star
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:41 pm

For me Against the Law was a disappointment. Not because of lyrics. Not because of the sound. Not because of their looks. I just didn't care for most of the songs.

I've always loved In God We Trust and I loved how that album had super catchy tunes almost constantly from the beginning to the end. There might've been some boring ones here and there but it had great songs in the beginning, in the middle and in the end. Against the Law only caught my attention with the last three songs. The eight songs before the last three did nothing for me. I think I've grown to like some of them but I don't really love any of them. The last three are amazing though and they redeem the whole album.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Against The Law has always been my favorite album by them. I also listened to this most during the hiatus. But I love the new stuff as well. I didn't mind the change in direction or image at all on Against The Law. It was still just Stryper to me. Still a positive message and still rockin' songs.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtreads Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:49 am

Airola wrote:For me Against the Law was a disappointment. Not because of lyrics. Not because of the sound. Not because of their looks. I just didn't care for most of the songs.

I've always loved In God We Trust and I loved how that album had super catchy tunes almost constantly from the beginning to the end. There might've been some boring ones here and there but it had great songs in the beginning, in the middle and in the end. Against the Law only caught my attention with the last three songs. The eight songs before the last three did nothing for me. I think I've grown to like some of them but I don't really love any of them. The last three are amazing though and they redeem the whole album.

my thoughts exactly
bigtreads
bigtreads
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.electric40 Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:56 pm

I agree with everything in this thread.... ATL was one of their best albums... period..
mr.electric40
mr.electric40
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:35 pm

eatbugs wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:I thought maybe that was a new song from his upcoming solo album.
lol!

Comment of the day, I have to say.
Driven
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:53 pm

That interview was a good read and something I had missed..thanks for sharing...even if I am a little late seeing it.

Even though I bought ATL when it came out, I was not a huge fan of it back then because it, along with other stories, made it seem like they were leaving the faith.

Today, I love the album, and there are about 3 songs on it that I rank among my all time favorite by them.

With that being said, I still place it just behind a few other Stryper albums.

NMHTP
Murder By Pride
Soldiers Under Command
THWTD

Those 4 are my favorites (at this moment, at least...ask me next week maybe my mood will change.lol)....ATL slides in right behind them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:25 am

I didn't really go for God Damn Evil as it just sounds too by-the-numbers. But I love No More Hell To Pay and Fallen, and I think both rank right up there with anything from the old days. But I also still really enjoy ATL. I hear Michael's heart in what he's saying about that time in his and the band's life, and for him, that album will never hold any special place. But for fans who don't have the emotional baggage the band does, it's a terrific record.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 am

Highway Star wrote:

I agree, Its easily my favorite Stryper release. I must be in the minority because almost everyone else seems to love their last several albums but something just seems off or missing in their recent work to me. Maybe I’m just an old geezer stuck in the past.

I do not agree, I consider NMHTP to be way better! I think ATL is a good album, better than the previous one, but more towards the bottom of their discovery for me.
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:48 pm

This may sound odd, given that the last three tracks on Against the Law are great classic metal tracks and 3 of the best tracks of their career but the album is too "hair metal" for me. Too many wimpy, poppy, groovy songs about women. It's 5 of the 11 tracks. It's heavily focused that way and the lyrics are less meaningful in that regard and more frivolous. Musicianship is outstanding, the style change was interesting (a lot more groove) and the songwriting is pretty solid. Never the less, songs like "Two Time Woman" "Not That Kind of Guy" "Lady" "Ordinary Man" "Two Bodies" do nothing for me. I don't like the cover of "Shining Star" either. It's actually a great cover version but I don't like the song in the first place. It just takes a song I don't like and makes it mildly listenable and a somewhat curious novelty.

If it weren't for the last three tracks and, to some degree, the title track I would never play the album.

Love the last three albums. I rank them with To Hell With The Devil and Soldiers. Always loved the band's more metal side and have enjoyed that with the last 3 albums.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next