The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mind Blown. Linkin Park Influenced by Whitecross?

+4
Hardcore Christian
alldatndensum
bodachi
Wigeon
8 posters

Go down

Mind Blown. Linkin Park Influenced by Whitecross?  Empty Mind Blown. Linkin Park Influenced by Whitecross?

Post by Wigeon Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Probably not, but who knows? This just blew my mind. I haven't listened to this album in 20 years. Just listened to the first song and immediately thought of Linkin Park. Whitecross released this album in 1995, which was quite a departure from their previous sound. Linkin Park released their first album in 1996. 

Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Mind Blown. Linkin Park Influenced by Whitecross?  Empty Re: Mind Blown. Linkin Park Influenced by Whitecross?

Post by bodachi Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Wigeon wrote:Probably not, but who knows? This just blew my mind. I haven't listened to this album in 20 years. Just listened to the first song and immediately thought of Linkin Park. Whitecross released this album in 1995, which was quite a departure from their previous sound. Linkin Park released their first album in 1996. 

If Whitecross was responsible for Linkin Park, that is another reason to despise this album
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Mind Blown. Linkin Park Influenced by Whitecross?  Empty Re: Mind Blown. Linkin Park Influenced by Whitecross?

Post by alldatndensum Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:05 pm

I thought this album was great.  I just think it would have been better received without the Whitecross name on it.  It was a great alternative rock record, but it wasn't a Whitecross album.  While Scott's vocals are a big part of this band, so was Rex's guitar work.  Without that, it was a totally different band that didn't recover from Rex's leaving.  Rebranding would have helped their final three studio projects.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Sorry, not sorry, but this is one of my favorite Whitecross records

Faraway Places is a legendary song, despite my love for the first 4 albums, this album definitely has better production on most songs and does not sound as dated
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 am

Whitecross was following a sound already started so no, Linkin Park didn't follow them.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Black Rider wrote:Whitecross was following a sound already started so no, Linkin Park didn't follow them.
Yea Whitecross was emulating the grunge sound, just a Linkin Park was trying to do a year later
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Why have I never heard this album? Oh, I know, because of my strong dislike for Scott's vocals (which you all know well by now)!

But seriously, listening to this title track, I'm in awe. I had no idea Whitecross could sound like this. I'm intrigued to listen to the rest of the album.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm

^ I don’t recommend it
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 am

It's kinda pathetic how grung-ie it is, but well-done, and Scott sounds like he should have been doing the Nirvana thing long before they were around.  Anyhow, this is much better than the Pillar debut, which shows that not only were they rapcore posers, but were grunge posers as well.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm

It's jarring to hear pop grunge music with 80s hard rock vocals.  They don't really work together.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 pm

I actually like the album now. Didn't really at the time since it was such a departure from their previous records. I'm pretty sure this was the first album without Rex Carrol also, so I'm sure it had a big effect on the musical direction. I was joking about it influencing Linkin Park, but still surprised to hear how much it sounds like them. I always liked Whitecross because I first liked Ratt. I read that Scott claimed that he never even heard Ratt before the first Whitecross album. I find that very hard to believe.
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Wigeon wrote:I actually like the album now. Didn't really at the time since it was such a departure from their previous records. I'm pretty sure this was the first album without Rex Carrol also, so I'm sure it had a big effect on the musical direction. I was joking about it influencing Linkin Park, but still surprised to hear how much it sounds like them. I always liked Whitecross because I first liked Ratt. I read that Scott claimed that he never even heard Ratt before the first Whitecross album. I find that very hard to believe.
Unveiled actually was the first album without Rex

And I find that funny he never heard Ratt either
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down