The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poems of Shadows (Holy Unblack Metal, absolutely brutal)

+3
exo
Opeth3232
Nocturnal Servant
7 posters

Go down

Poems of Shadows (Holy Unblack Metal, absolutely brutal) Empty Poems of Shadows (Holy Unblack Metal, absolutely brutal)

Post by Nocturnal Servant Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

I was scrolling across the internet when I came across a band called "Poems of Shadows". Now I seen that they were an unblack metal band from Brazil (There seems to be a lot of unblack metal bands coming from Brazil), but I was skeptical to see if their music was actually any good or not. They could have worked on and improved some things, but  all in all I'd say they're​ very good, at least from my point of view. The sad part is that I went to check them out on the Metal Archives and it turns out that they split up after their last release. They have two albums, this first released in 2004 and the second in 2009.

Here's some of their music:

Armaments of War from their 2009 release "Obscure Forest, Destructive Illusion".

The bad part about it is that their music is very hard to come by if you don't know the right keywords. It makes very good audio quality hard to come by as well, although most is pretty decent. Here's another track from "Obscure Forest, Destructive Illusion".

This is a pretty hardcore music video from their 2004 release "Nocturnal Blasphemous Chanting". You'll have to excuse the low video quality, as well as the Spanish subtitles on some parts. But it's a pretty sick song.

So what do you guys think? I like them pretty well, and even though there are better bands out there, I think that they had a lot of potential. Also, is it unrealistic of me to hope that they would reunite? And has anyone​ here even known that this band even existed?

Here's the link to their page on the Metal Archives: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Poems_of_Shadows/33906
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Poems of Shadows (Holy Unblack Metal, absolutely brutal) Empty Re: Poems of Shadows (Holy Unblack Metal, absolutely brutal)

Post by Opeth3232 Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:59 am

The music video you posted I remember watching that a year or so ago never could find much on them. Very brutal stuff wish they where still around!
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Poems of Shadows (Holy Unblack Metal, absolutely brutal) Empty Re: Poems of Shadows (Holy Unblack Metal, absolutely brutal)

Post by exo Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 am

Those first two videos, from 2009......they might as well be an Immortal tribute band.  Shoot, the opening 30 seconds of "Immortal Truth" might as well be a studio outtake from one of Immortal's last 3 albums.  Not even joking.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:01 pm

exo wrote:Those first two videos, from 2009......they might as well be an Immortal tribute band.  Shoot, the opening 30 seconds of "Immortal Truth" might as well be a studio outtake from one of Immortal's last 3 albums.  Not even joking.

Crap dude, if only they were still together!

They had a huge amount of potential, they'd be great if they'd reunite someday. If they do, let's just hope they've still got it!

Last edited by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Opeth3232 wrote:The music video you posted I remember watching that a year or so ago never could find much on them. Very brutal stuff wish they where still around!
One thing is for sure, they seem to be very illusive on the internet!
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:47 am

exo wrote:they might as well be an Immortal tribute band.

I wouldn't use the word "tribute", but...  I guess in the grand scheme of things, a "Christian alternative" is better than none at all in the Christian black metal scene.  Beggars can't be choosers after-all.

I'm not sure if this is really a true comparison, but in terms of "absolutely brutal" CBM bands that still have a beating heart,

Shadows of Paragon > Poem of Shadows

I'm REALLY looking forward to their new album.
I'm usually not one for the usual medium paced, music box laden Christian black metal approach, but this band definitely scratches my itch.

ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:18 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
exo wrote:they might as well be an Immortal tribute band.

I wouldn't use the word "tribute", but...  I guess in the grand scheme of things, a "Christian alternative" is better than none at all in the Christian black metal scene.  Beggars can't be choosers after-all.

I'm not sure if this is really a true comparison, but in terms of "absolutely brutal" CBM bands that still have a beating heart,

Shadows of Paragon > Poem of Shadows

I'm REALLY looking forward to their new album.
I'm usually not one for the usual medium paced, music box laden Christian black metal approach, but this band definitely scratches my itch.

Shadows of Paragon is releasing another album? Man I had no idea, I was wondering when they'd come out with another release! Now I'm stoked! I have they're latest album, it's pretty sick.

As for Christian black metal, I'm a huge fan. (Frost Like Ashes, Antestor, Cerimonial Sacred etc.) Although if a band tries too hard to the point of awkwardness, that's what bugs me. But as for CBM as a whole, I've rarely found anything that bugs me.

But back to Shadows of Paragon, did they say anything about when their new album should be released? I haven't seen anything about a new album as of late, guess I've been looking in the wrong places. Razz
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Only three things really bother me about Christian black metal.
1) as I already mentioned, many of the CBM bands are "medium paced" and "music box laden".  I like my black harsh, mostly devoid of keys and packed with an obscene amount of blastbeats.
2) Bands considered black when they're really a hybrid of extreme metals.  Perfect example, Antestor.  Their "Return of the Black Death" album is quite black.  ALL other releases are an amalgamation of death, black and doom.  Call me a purist, but I don't think hybrids should be premier example of what Christian black metal really is.
3) The term "Unblack".  Its pointless to coin a new MUSIC term, just because the LYRICS are different.  Satanists say Christians do not belong in black metal and co-signing the "unblack" or "white metal" term(s) is only submitting to and enabling their ideology.  "Unblack" is a negative stigma to the metal world, further setting up the genre to only be for "the choir".  Someone against Christianity will be able to easily avoid CBM without listening to it, 100% because of the giant "Unblack" banner.

Bottom line, I'm very passionate about Christian black metal.  I wouldn't make the stuff myself if I wasn't.  ....but the scene is in shambles.  It needs a massive amount of help, and unfortunately, for the time being, I'm more of a fan of the Christ centered black metal concept, than I am just head over heels about very many of the bands...

People like you and I, the gents on The Blackest Light, and plenty of others are doing the best they can supporting the scene.  ....but the general reception of Christian black metal among many areas of "normal" Christian music circles (even some Christian metal circles) blows more than a 100 year old taking a hair dryer to a birthday cake.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ImagoDei Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 pm

I agree Shadows of Paragon is really good. Another one I’ve been digging is Skald in Veum

ImagoDei
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Mysterious Gamer Dude wrote:
Opeth3232 wrote:The music video you posted I remember watching that a year or so ago never could find much on them. Very brutal stuff wish they where still around!
One thing is for sure, they seem to be very illusive on the internet!
Yes they are lol
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 pm

In case you wern't aware, before Poems of Shadows there was Promessa Divina. Featuring Lord Shavout, bass and vox. Also check out there other project Devotam featuring Lady Danmarys on lead shrieks and guitars along with Lord Shavout on drums.

Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:34 pm

I haven't been around much, but popped in and saw this thread.  I got the Obscure, Destructive cd back when it was newish, and was surprised how good it was.  Those Brazilian bands were pretty hit and miss, but I thought this one was some nice work.  I never heard the first one, but generally assumed that I never missed much.  Who knows!

I remember having one of the black-and-white Promessa Divina cd's as well, and it was an example of something that had potential but either a) needed some work, or b) I'm just not "black" enough to enjoy. 

I see the couple Shadows of Paragon recommendations, they're another band I've never really checked into.  Perhaps I will!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:Only three things really bother me about Christian black metal.
1) as I already mentioned, many of the CBM bands are "medium paced" and "music box laden".  I like my black harsh, mostly devoid of keys and packed with an obscene amount of blastbeats.
2) Bands considered black when they're really a hybrid of extreme metals.  Perfect example, Antestor.  Their "Return of the Black Death" album is quite black.  ALL other releases are an amalgamation of death, black and doom.  Call me a purist, but I don't think hybrids should be premier example of what Christian black metal really is.
3) The term "Unblack".  Its pointless to coin a new MUSIC term, just because the LYRICS are different.  Satanists say Christians do not belong in black metal and co-signing the "unblack" or "white metal" term(s) is only submitting to and enabling their ideology.  "Unblack" is a negative stigma to the metal world, further setting up the genre to only be for "the choir".  Someone against Christianity will be able to easily avoid CBM without listening to it, 100% because of the giant "Unblack" banner.

Bottom line, I'm very passionate about Christian black metal.  I wouldn't make the stuff myself if I wasn't.  ....but the scene is in shambles.  It needs a massive amount of help, and unfortunately, for the time being, I'm more of a fan of the Christ centered black metal concept, than I am just head over heels about very many of the bands...

People like you and I, the gents on The Blackest Light, and plenty of others are doing the best they can supporting the scene.  ....but the general reception of Christian black metal among many areas of "normal" Christian music circles (even some Christian metal circles) blows more than a 100 year old taking a hair dryer to a birthday cake.

I have to agree with pretty much everything there. Although, even though that statement regarding the term "Unblack Metal" is 100% factual in my book, I still like to call CBM both. I have a tendency to call it Black Metal more, however I do prefer to call it "Unblack" sometimes if the mood suites me. However, I have noticed, as you said, that non-Christian metalheads tend to be more distant when using the term Unblack, so I've tried my best to use discretion when referring to CBM using that term.

As for the gigantic amount of love and care that the CBM scene deserves and needs, it's going to be quite difficult without tons of effort, and I don't have anything against working hard to reach desired goals so I'm definitely a CBM activist big time. Especially when it's nurturing a community, I can't stand seeing something that was once good, full of activity and production go to waste. I especially don't like seeing people, bands, and artists disbanded whilst taking ten years to even be able to produce an EP or even a single because of the massive lack of support that they should be receiving that they do not receive. Everything then begins to decay and die lest someone decides to finally make a change. But most people these days are too afraid to step up into that position, or simply are not even aware of the former to begin with.
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 pm

ImagoDei wrote:I agree Shadows of Paragon is really good. Another one I’ve been digging is Skald in Veum

Ah yes, I remember these guys. I seen this debut music video about a couple months ago on Vision of God's Youtube channel. They're pretty sick and brutal in my book. \M/
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down