The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some DIFFERENT new band named TOURNIQUET led by female vocals???

5 posters

Go down

Some DIFFERENT new band named TOURNIQUET led by female vocals??? Empty Some DIFFERENT new band named TOURNIQUET led by female vocals???

Post by Nocturnal Servant Wed May 10, 2017 11:21 pm

OK, so I'm just trying to comprehend this. Like I was just looking on Twitter and I happened to come across this female vocals led Rock/Metal band with a copycat name. Are they aware of the original Tourniquet? Are they purposely copying the name? IDK but it's weird to think about.

See for yourself: https://twitter.com/TourniquetBand?s=09
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Some DIFFERENT new band named TOURNIQUET led by female vocals??? Empty Re: Some DIFFERENT new band named TOURNIQUET led by female vocals???

Post by bodachi Wed May 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Well, Mr. Kirkpatrick doesn't seem to be using the name anymore
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Some DIFFERENT new band named TOURNIQUET led by female vocals??? Empty Re: Some DIFFERENT new band named TOURNIQUET led by female vocals???

Post by bodachi Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 pm

If one of y'all here has a twitter account, you could let them know the band name is taken as a courtesy (before the lawyers get involved)
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Yes that would be a shame if that happened.
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Wed May 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Perhaps they'll progress to be a pretty good band after they change their name.
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Wed May 10, 2017 11:36 pm

I went ahead and sent them a tweet. Hopefully they see it in time
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu May 11, 2017 7:27 am

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

A)  Wouldn't it be something if this really were Tourniquet but with a female singer like The Brave did?  It could be interesting to say the least.

B)  Unless they copy the band logo or if the band actually filed paperwork for a trademark, I doubt lawyers will get involved.  Go look at CD Baby for bands named Ultimatum or Deliverance.  You will find more than one.  In the USA, you can only sue for using a name if you are ripping off another company or band's logo they had designed and copyrighted or if the company/band filed for a trademark.

For example, McDonald's has a trademark they filed with not only their name but also with the golden arches.  Try opening a business that has to do with fast food with the McDonald's name and you will get sued.  Copy their "M" and you will get sued.  However, if you open say....a clothing store....and just call it McDonald's Menswear, you will not even so much as a swat on the wrist.  Why?  Because you cannot copyright a common name or word in the USA.  You have to be infringing on a trademark. 

So, unless Ted filed for that years ago and can prove that he has it, this band will legally be able to continue for years if they so choose.

I do not, though, understand why they did not do a quick Google search to see if anyone had ever used that name before they picked it.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Thu May 11, 2017 8:42 am

Well a girl lead singer is not too unheard of for them. Wink

I remember in the early days of Disciple's career they had problems with another band naming themselves Disciple. I think this was after Disciple had put out aroun three albums. The other band ended up changing their name to xdisciplex I believe.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu May 11, 2017 8:59 am

Well, since the band Tourniquet (with female vocalists) hasnt posted in over 4 years, I dont think there is much to worry about Wink
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu May 11, 2017 9:03 am

deathisgain wrote:I remember in the early days of Disciple's career they had problems with another band naming themselves Disciple. I think this was after Disciple had put out around three albums. The other band ended up changing their name to xdisciplex I believe.
Actually xDisciplex A.D. was founded as Disciple in 1995

So literally the year Disciple's What Was I Thinking came out

Wouldn't that be awkward, you come up with a band name and start touring and recording just to discover another band that just started as well got to the name a few months ahead of you

(I know that Disciple, had put out a few independent albums before 1995 but not many people even know about them)
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Thu May 11, 2017 1:53 pm

This is all very interesting, and I hadn't known that had happened with Disciple as well.

Although I have heard of someone getting a trademark on a common word before. Microsoft OneDrive was originally called SkyDrive, but apparently someone owned the word "sky" which resulted in the other name.
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Thu May 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:Well, since the band Tourniquet (with female vocalists) hasnt posted in over 4 years, I dont think there is much to worry about Wink

That's a relief, hopefully it'll remain that way. Unless they change their name of course.  Smile
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down