The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does prayer work?

+4
bjorn agin
ImagoDei
metaldude
ThomasEversole
8 posters

Go down

How does prayer work? Empty How does prayer work?

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Let me preface by saying that my question isn't flame bait. I'm legitimately curious to the answer.

With regards to what Adam said in the first paragraph of this thread, which I believe there's a massive chunk of truth to, what's really the point of praying for each other?

God's mode of operation today, in the Body of Christ, is not to speak to us directly and is not to heal our physical bodies. Our gifts and blessings are in Heaven, not on earth, and we have no hope here.

We have a sick friend, we pray for them. ...but if God's blessings are for the next life, not this one, what's really the point to ask God to do something on this earth when (again) our blessings are in heaven?

What's the difference between a blessing from God and Him intervening to negate something bad?

Same for praying for guidance. We're given the choice on this earth (aka we're supposed to figure out all this stuff ourselves hence "faith" not "proof"), so why ask God to point us in the right direction when (again) we're supposed to figure this out for ourselves?

I know God is there, and communication with our creator is important (helps exercise our faith), but are we really praying more for our own growth, than for God to do something for us?
Since a question not asked always has the answer of "no", is prayer really about hope? (That He WILL decide do something on this earth?)

Thoughts?
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

How does prayer work? Empty Re: How does prayer work?

Post by metaldude Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:17 pm

We pray because God's will in the Earth isn't automatic. Jesus, as a man, told us to pray for it because He knew that authority in the Earth is in the hands of man. The Earth and everything in it is God's, but He made man stewards over His Creation. When we mix our authority with His Word, we work together with God, which is how He intended it from the beginning.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ImagoDei Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:03 am

It is my opinion that people in general treat God and prayer too much like a genie in a bottle. Prayer is so much more than just giving God our "want list." Yet that seems to be what 99% of prayer consists of. I believe that this part of ruling creation is a delegation from God to man, as evidenced in the book of Genesis. That's why it makes sense to ask God for guidance, it's like a junior resident doctor consulting his expert attending for advice and how to further proceed. I also think that prayer is being still, and knowing that He is God. Sometimes we need to shut up and listen. I think that we don't often shut off our thoughts and worldly distractions long enough to ever get any spiritual guidance. I think that a person in sickness goes back to the creation delegation point. Sickness is a result of a fallen and sinful ruler, mankind, so stuff simply happens. It's like with starving children too. God doesn't let children starve, we do. This was delegated to us, we have dominion over the earth, it is our responsibility to rule it and subdue it. But we don't, not as a whole. We have not been good stewards of the creation given to us. So we can pray for God to bless and feed those children, but if we never get off our knees and leave the safety of our four walls, then the blessings and those with the ability to feed never make it outside to fulfill the will of God. I think that in prayer, we also forget that His ways are higher than our ways, and Hos thoughts are higher than ours. We won't understand everything God chooses to do or not do, and how could we?

ImagoDei
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:59 pm

God's mode of operation today, in the Body of Christ, is not to speak to us directly and is not to heal our physical bodies. Our gifts and blessings are in Heaven, not on earth, and we have no hope here.

We have a sick friend, we pray for them.  ...but if God's blessings are for the next life, not this one, what's really the point to ask God to do something on this earth when (again) our blessings are in heaven?

I respectfully disagree with the sentiment in the original quote that there hope of gifts and blessings on earth. If we refer to the Lord as Emmanuel - God With Us, then why would he say "Sorry you're out of luck?

Throughout the Gospels we see Jesus intervening in the lives of people. I don't believe God made a house call to Earth and then ceased in His works after His ascension. I believe God is still at work today.

Prayer is also so much more than asking God for things. It's plain to see that God is all about relationship with His creation. Prayer is communication that keeps us in close relationship with Him.
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:04 pm

metaldude wrote:We pray because God's will in the Earth isn't automatic. Jesus, as a man, told us to pray for it because He knew that authority in the Earth is in the hands of man. The Earth and everything in it is God's, but He made man stewards over His Creation. When we mix our authority with His Word, we work together with God, which is how He intended it from the beginning.

Well said!

ImagoDei wrote:It is my opinion that people in general treat God and prayer too much like a genie in a bottle. Prayer is so much more than just giving God our "want list." Yet that seems to be what 99% of prayer consists of. I believe that this part of ruling creation is a delegation from God to man, as evidenced in the book of Genesis. That's why it makes sense to ask God for guidance, it's like a junior resident doctor consulting his expert attending for advice and how to further proceed.

Got references on that ruling creation bit? Does it specifically reference prayer?

I agree with the "want list". When I first sobered up and started praying again, my prayers were like a grocery list, "Here's the things I want you to do, and when you're done with those, I've got another list..."

NOW, I try to balance my prayers. Yes, I still ask for things (including guidance), but I try to do a fair share of thanking, praise and talking to God "just because". Afterall, God walked me through something that should have put me in the ground - that's only the beginning of what I have to be grateful for.

bjorn agin wrote:
I respectfully disagree with the sentiment in the original quote that there hope of gifts and blessings on earth. If we refer to the Lord as Emmanuel - God With Us, then why would he say "Sorry you're out of luck?

Throughout the Gospels we see Jesus intervening in the lives of people. I don't believe God made a house call to Earth and then ceased in His works after His ascension. I believe God is still at work today.

Prayer is also so much more than asking God for things. It's plain to see that God is all about relationship with His creation. Prayer is communication that keeps us in close relationship with Him.

Agreed on the communication part. That's why (to me) there's a distinctive difference between praying (talking) and meditating (listening) - afterall, no earthly relationship we have is just us saying things and never listening to the other person.

As for the gifts/blessings/intervention on earth in this day and age, what are your references? Wink
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ImagoDei Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:57 pm

"Got references on that ruling creation bit? Does it specifically reference prayer?"

Genesis 1:26-28

ImagoDei
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:45 pm

(Edit: There is A LOT of "[size]" errors, so please bare with me.)

Praying is simply talking to God, and is how we grow deeper in our relationship with Jesus.

As far as healing, intervention, supplying our needs etc. In 1st Peter 2:24 the Word says:

[size=46]"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."[/size]

[size=46]And in Isaiah 53:4-5 it says:[/size]

[size=46]"Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted."[/size]

[size=46]"But he [/size][size=46]was[/size][size=46] wounded for our transgressions, [/size][size=46]he was[/size][size=46] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [/size][size=46]was[/size][size=46] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." [/size]

[size=46]Many people confuse "and with his stripes we are healed." for emotional healing or healing from grief because of what Isaiah says in verse 4. "Surely he hath borne out griefs, and carried out sorrows". But in the original Hebrew text, the word "healing" in verse 5 translates as follows: [/size]

"[size=46]raphah \i raw-faw'\i0\plain\f3\fs21\cf23 ; a primitive root; properly, to mend (by stitching), i.e. (figuratively) to cure:--cure, (cause to) heal, physician, repair, X thoroughly, make whole."[/size]

[size=46]As as some of you may know, in Hebrew there can be several words that mean the same or similar thing. Here is those alternative words in Hebrew that refer to "healing" used in verse 5:[/size]

[/size][list="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:"]
"1) to heal, make healthful 1a) (Qal) to heal 1a1) of God1a2) healer, physician (of men) 1a3) of hurts of nations involving restored favour (fig) 1a4) of individual distresses (fig) 1b) (Niphal) to be healed 1b1) literal (of persons) 1b2) of water, pottery 1b3) of national hurts (fig) 1b4) of personal distress (fig) 1c) (Piel) to heal 1c1) literal 1c2) of national defects or hurts (fig) 1d) (Hithpael) in order to get healed (infinitive)"[/list]
[size]

I especially like the word "Hithpael", "in order to get healed" "(infinitive)". It reminds me of how all-powerful God is.

And in John 14:13-14 Jesus tells us that:

"[size=46]And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."[/size]

[size=46]"[/size][size=46]If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."[/size]

[size=46]And in Mark 9:23:[/size]

[size=46]"[/size][size=46]Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things [/size][size=46]are[/size][size=46] possible to him that believeth."[/size]

[size=46]Now one thing I know is that I believe Jesus can steal heal and deliver people in this modern age, not only because of my personal experiences, but also because of Acts 2:17-21:[/size]

[size=46]"[/size][size=46]And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:"[/size]

[size=46]"[/size][size=46]And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:"[/size]

[size=46]"[/size][size=46]And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:"[/size]

[size=46]"[/size][size=46]The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:"[/size]

[size=46]"[/size][size=46]And it shall come to pass, [/size][size=46]that[/size][size=46] whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved."[/size]

Ok, that's all Smile

[/size]

Last edited by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Sorry about all of those "[Size]" errors. I had to copy and paste most of the verses
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:23 am

I believe that prayer works.  However, in our fast food faith here in the USA, we just drop our "order" at the prayer window and expect God to supersize our every desire.

I believe that we should pray and that God DOES speak directly to us (if not audibly).  I believe that prayer includes worship of God, telling God how we feel about things, asking for things, etc.  However, the one thing I think we fail to do so many times is really ask God what HE wants in the situation.  Doing that gives Him Lordship as we accept His plans and His authority over our lives.  He can heal and do all sorts of miracles.  But, is this the situation where He thinks it is necessary?  I believe that the whole "asking anything in my name" that Jesus spoke of means to ask as though we are Jesus but also having the same desires as Jesus to allow the Father to truly be God and act or not act.  It should be HIS will--not mine.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:41 pm

I'll just drop a oneliner here: real prayer changes the one who prays.

It's difficult to substantiate and I feel terrible at the moment, so I'll let you have a go at it Wink
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnal Servant Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:45 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I believe that prayer works.  However, in our fast food faith here in the USA, we just drop our "order" at the prayer window and expect God to supersize our every desire.

I believe that we should pray and that God DOES speak directly to us (if not audibly).  I believe that prayer includes worship of God, telling God how we feel about things, asking for things, etc.  However, the one thing I think we fail to do so many times is really ask God what HE wants in the situation.  Doing that gives Him Lordship as we accept His plans and His authority over our lives.  He can heal and do all sorts of miracles.  But, is this the situation where He thinks it is necessary?  I believe that the whole "asking anything in my name" that Jesus spoke of means to ask as though we are Jesus but also having the same desires as Jesus to allow the Father to truly be God and act or not act.  It should be HIS will--not mine.

Amen brother. Too many people miss that these days. I believe that if we really have a relationship with God, and love Him, that we will want to ask things according to His perfect will. I'm glad you brought this subject to light, I rarely ever read or hear anyone talking about this any more.
Nocturnal Servant
Nocturnal Servant
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:52 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
I know God is there, and communication with our creator is important (helps exercise our faith), but are we really praying more for our own growth, than for God to do something for us?

God wants to commune with His adoptive children and we should desire to commune with Him. God as our Father wants us to bring the desires of hearts before Him as well. The issue comes about when our desires are not in line with Gods Word. But just as God wants us to take out requests to Him, God knows what is best for us and lives as a whole. God knows our motives and sometimes says " no" because we ask with wrong motives. Sometimes its simply a matter of things we ask for our not being in line with Gods will.

Anyone interested in a more in depth study of prayer should focus on the Words that we are given by Christ when he explained the emphasis of prayer with His disciples. Also, a passage that has greatly impacted by attitude towards prayer...

James 4
Those conflicts and disputes among you, where do they come from? Do they not come from your cravings that are at war within you? You want something and do not have it; so you commit murder. And you covet something and cannot obtain it; so you engage in disputes and conflicts. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, in order to spend what you get on your pleasures.  Adulterers! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.  Or do you suppose that it is for nothing that the scripture says, “God yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”?  But he gives all the more grace; therefore it says,
“God opposes the proud,
    but gives grace to the humble.”

James 5
13 Are any among you suffering? They should pray. Are any cheerful? They should sing songs of praise.  14 Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord.  15 The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise them up; and anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven.  16 Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.  17 Elijah was a human being like us, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth.  18 Then he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain and the earth yielded its harvest.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down