The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Ancestors

+5
ThomasEversole
MikeInFla
eatbugs
Deepfriar
Hardcore Christian
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Your Ancestors - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Ancestors

Post by messiaen77 Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:50 am

MikeInFla wrote:I did some more investigating over the last day and actually found some stuff on http://www.findagrave.com . I looked up some gravesites of relatives (didn't know any were there, I assumed the site was for famous people). So I emailed a relative of my grandmother (my dad's cousin). She said I could access the family tree (from my grandmother's side) on Ancestry.com. When I went to the site there are "free searches". So I looked it up and there it was! However, "free" means "SEARCH" not "DISPLAY RESULTS". So I can see my grandma's name but can't see anything else unless I pay $19.99 a month. Crazy, I like family history but I don't wanna pay that much to look at it. I guess I could try the free month and then cancel but I don't know what to expect if I actually join. I know I am not gonna pay for it, I know that much.
Your relative (or whoever created the tree) should be able to "share" it with you, which gives you a link that you can use to view the tree.  Paying gives you access to search the records that are available, like census data, military records, birth/death/burial records, etc.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:21 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:I did some more investigating over the last day and actually found some stuff on http://www.findagrave.com . I looked up some gravesites of relatives (didn't know any were there, I assumed the site was for famous people). So I emailed a relative of my grandmother (my dad's cousin). She said I could access the family tree (from my grandmother's side) on Ancestry.com. When I went to the site there are "free searches". So I looked it up and there it was! However, "free" means "SEARCH" not "DISPLAY RESULTS". So I can see my grandma's name but can't see anything else unless I pay $19.99 a month. Crazy, I like family history but I don't wanna pay that much to look at it. I guess I could try the free month and then cancel but I don't know what to expect if I actually join. I know I am not gonna pay for it, I know that much.
Your relative (or whoever created the tree) should be able to "share" it with you, which gives you a link that you can use to view the tree.  Paying gives you access to search the records that are available, like census data, military records, birth/death/burial records, etc.
Ok, I will e-mail her back and ask for a link. I'm curious about my dad's side of the family as I have no idea how far back we go. I know my grandpa's name was John and that's all I know. I don't know where he is from or what he did for a living. But the info she has is for my grandma's side of the family.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:44 pm

If you knew what funeral home took care of his funeral they might have records, also the library is a good start too. Birth Certificates, Death certificates, etc... like your father's birth certificate should have your grandparent's full names.  When I started I knew nothing really past my Nana. By the time my dad took over I had gone back as far as the 1300s. Ancestory.com might be a good starting point for you too.

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:
Ok, I will e-mail her back and ask for a link. I'm curious about my dad's side of the family as I have no idea how far back we go. I know my grandpa's name was John and that's all I know. I don't know where he is from or what he did for a living. But the info she has is for my grandma's side of the family.
Under Trees there's a link for Create & Manage Trees.  Then there's a link to invite family.  All she would need is your email address.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum