The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would (and should) Stryper ever consider doing shows back to back nights at same locale, one old one new?

+5
eatbugs
ludey7
Follower of Jesus
Soldier777
Staybrite
9 posters

Go down

Would (and should) Stryper ever consider doing shows back to back nights at same locale, one old one new? Empty Would (and should) Stryper ever consider doing shows back to back nights at same locale, one old one new?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:28 pm

With so much great new material coming from these guys over the last several years, I always find it such a shame that they can't load up on new material and just play it exclusively during a show. I get WHY they don't, as fans still want to see the classics, too. Heck, the first time I saw them live I would have been crushed if they didn't play the songs I grew up on. So I get it.

But still, could you imagine how great the show would be if they put together a set list just of material from the Reborn period to now? The music they have done since Reborn definitely is worthy of receiving show time. 

So..understanding that they shouldn't, can't or won't do away with playing the classics....would there EVER be a chance to do a tour where they played each venue 2 nights in a row? One night only the older material up through ATL, and then the next night just newer material from Reborn to now? 

I would think that some venues would take a chance to do it, and you would probably get a lot of the same fans at both shows, but how awesome would that be?

Back to top Go down

Would (and should) Stryper ever consider doing shows back to back nights at same locale, one old one new? Empty Re: Would (and should) Stryper ever consider doing shows back to back nights at same locale, one old one new?

Post by Staybrite Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:58 pm

I think it might be cool if they could just open for themselves.  Do a one hour set of new material, take a 30 minute break, come back and play an hour of classic Stryper.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Would (and should) Stryper ever consider doing shows back to back nights at same locale, one old one new? Empty Re: Would (and should) Stryper ever consider doing shows back to back nights at same locale, one old one new?

Post by Soldier777 Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:22 pm

If they do 2 nights not everyone can afford to go to both shows. I probably can. As a cost savings measure as the previous post stated,  they can combine a retro section (1984-1991) of an hour and a recent section (2003-current) of an hour and a half including a few covers. Even play a couple of those unreleased tracks on the compilations like God, Can't Stop The Rock and For You.

For me, I just hope they come to Newfoundland regardless of what they play.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:26 pm

That would be AWESOME for a two night show!!!

Rockin Loud

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:35 pm

No, just keep mixing in more new material and have longer shows. If Taylor freakin Swift can do 2 1/2 hour shows (and she does) these guys can too.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:12 pm

I saw Stryper on back to back nights last year.  Night one was their acoustic set & night two was normal "electric" set.  While not quite the same as the thread topic, it's a similar concept.  The acoustic set maybe drew 1/2 the number of people as the regular set.  Now it's not the same as two "electric" shows but I got the sense that the more die-hard fans showed up to both which makes sense... So it's not a huge leap that someone who isn't as big of a fan would at best show up to the show they know they will recognize a portion of the set list.  

I for one would go to the newer set list way before the original material if only because I've seen that material over a dozen times now.  A chance to see only material since Reborn would be phenomenal!

PS  the acoustic show was a trip & great time.  Highly recommended if you ever get the chance to see it to not hesitate.  Very cool

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Staybrite wrote:I think it might be cool if they could just open for themselves.  Do a one hour set of new material, take a 30 minute break, come back and play an hour of classic Stryper.

That would be nice, but I really think that having an opening act is key to ticket sales. One of the reasons a lot of bands/venues will grab different popular local acts to open is because it is built-in ticket sales and the local band's fan base will do a grass roots movement to promote the show. Which benefits everyone.

Follower of Jesus wrote:No, just keep mixing in more new material and have longer shows. If Taylor freakin Swift can do 2 1/2 hour shows (and she does) these guys can too.

Well, she is in her 20's....not sure how well guys in their late 40s would hold up with that   geek

ludey7 wrote:I saw Stryper on back to back nights last year.  Night one was their acoustic set & night two was normal "electric" set.  While not quite the same as the thread topic, it's a similar concept.  The acoustic set maybe drew 1/2 the number of people as the regular set.  Now it's not the same as two "electric" shows but I got the sense that the more die-hard fans showed up to both which makes sense... So it's not a huge leap that someone who isn't as big of a fan would at best show up to the show they know they will recognize a portion of the set list.  

I for one would go to the newer set list way before the original material if only because I've seen that material over a dozen times now.  A chance to see only material since Reborn would be phenomenal!

PS  the acoustic show was a trip & great time.  Highly recommended if you ever get the chance to see it to not hesitate.  Very cool

I think there are a lot of non-fans who would be willing to go hear them play if it was just the newer stuff, because a lot of the younger music fans don't really care for the 80's stuff they did. Obviously, us long time fans would go to both shows.

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:03 am

Weren't they going to open for themselves at one point?  When Tracy Ferrie was still in the band I remember plans for Tim touring with them and 80's Stryper opening for Murder By Pride era Stryper.  I don't think this ever happened but I recall liking the idea.  Am I crazy?  Does anyone else remember this?  Is this what Staybrite is referring to?

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 am

I think Staybrite's post is the best idea, Ive seen them twice and the last show I saw of them they played 0 of No More Hell To Pay and this was part of the tour to support that album.

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:06 am

Well the guys being on their 40's - 50's it's not an issue, if you have seen bands like DT and RUSH doing 3 hours sets of more complex music you can surely have STRYPER doing a 2 hours set
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:06 am

He Already Left wrote:
Follower of Jesus wrote:No, just keep mixing in more new material and have longer shows. If Taylor freakin Swift can do 2 1/2 hour shows (and she does) these guys can too.

Well, she is in her 20's....not sure how well guys in their late 40s would hold up with that   geek
Late 40s?  Try early/mid 50s.  Michael's the "baby" of the group and he's 52.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:04 am

messiaen77 wrote:
He Already Left wrote:

Late 40s?  Try early/mid 50s.  Michael's the "baby" of the group and he's 52.

I really was not trying to get exact with their age, just being conservative while making a joke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:36 pm

ludey7 wrote:I saw Stryper on back to back nights last year.  Night one was their acoustic set & night two was normal "electric" set.  While not quite the same as the thread topic, it's a similar concept.  The acoustic set maybe drew 1/2 the number of people as the regular set.  Now it's not the same as two "electric" shows but I got the sense that the more die-hard fans showed up to both which makes sense... So it's not a huge leap that someone who isn't as big of a fan would at best show up to the show they know they will recognize a portion of the set list.  

Really? Wow, that's awesome! What city did this take place in? I would have loved to have seen that!

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:11 pm

A lot of weekend bar bands put in 4 hour sets with only a 30 minute break.  I think Stryper could easily pull 2 1/2 hours.

I saw Casting Crowns a couple of years ago.  They had an opening band.  They did an hour set, then took an intermission to go downstairs at the venue to meet and talk to local pastors and youth pastors.  They came back up, did a 30 min. acoustic set, and then ended with a full hour of music on top of that.  A long set is doable.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:12 pm

eatbugs wrote:Weren't they going to open for themselves at one point?  When Tracy Ferrie was still in the band I remember plans for Tim touring with them and 80's Stryper opening for Murder By Pride era Stryper.  I don't think this ever happened but I recall liking the idea.  Am I crazy?  Does anyone else remember this?  Is this what Staybrite is referring to?
They were actually.  This was announced & then I think it immediately led to Tim replacing Tracy & they just did the reunion tour instead.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:10 pm

ludey, did you see my post? I had asked a question. Smile 

Just wondering what city was lucky enough to have experienced that show!

I would drive a ways for a show like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:13 pm

RavenWolf wrote:

Really? Wow, that's awesome! What city did this take place in? I would have loved to have seen that!
This was in Bolingbrook, IL. about 30 miles southwest of Chicago.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Oh wow! Thanks. I was just wondering. I'd drive to a lot of places, but Chicago is pretty far from where I am. That's very cool they did a show like that! Must've been a one off.

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 pm

RavenWolf wrote:Oh wow! Thanks. I was just wondering. I'd drive to a lot of places, but Chicago is pretty far from where I am. That's very cool they did a show like that! Must've been a one off.
They've played this particular bar half a dozen times or so if not more.  It's become their Chicago stop when touring & they seem to have built a good relationship with the owner - who clearly loves them.  He saw them do their acoustic show & insisted they do two nights at his place so he could showcase the acoustic set.  I love it as I love 40 minutes from the place. Its small & you can pay a little extra ($30 or so - GA typically $20 I think) to be seated up front (1st row or two) with a table and wait service.  You can't beat it.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:28 pm

ludey7 wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:

I've been to one of their shows at Tailgaters. And, they started off with the song God great show.
TMLMKE
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:43 pm

TMLMKE wrote:
ludey7 wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:

I've been to one of their shows at Tailgaters. And, they started off with the song God great show.
 That was night two. They play the acoustic set at Tailgaters the night before.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down