The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stryper / Black Sabbath - "After Forever" Cover........

+15
MetalForJesus
sentient 6
Candlemass
oldschooldoom
My Awesome Timothy
bodachi
Marcus Moore
Peter who was Vaak
Soldier777
Throne of thorns
Kerrick
KaramKaram
d@v!d
metaldude
Gipperman
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stryper / Black Sabbath - "After Forever" Cover........ - Page 2 Empty Re: Stryper / Black Sabbath - "After Forever" Cover........

Post by WildWorld Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:00 pm

MetalForJesus wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:Not bad.... Rockin Loud

One thing I'm curious about is who in BS wrote the lyrics and what the motivation was ? Any body know of a interview where someone talks about that song ?

According to what I have heard BS got deeply in touch with the demonic forces since they were dabbling with the occult in their early albums. Therefore they got scared and wanted to stay away from it and wrote After Forever. They also started to always wear big crosses after this.
This might also explain their song "Bible Black" which is a warning about dabbling in the occult (at least, thats how I always interpreted it).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Stryper / Black Sabbath - "After Forever" Cover........ - Page 2 Empty Re: Stryper / Black Sabbath - "After Forever" Cover........

Post by messiaen77 Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:36 am

I was all prepared to hate this because I am so tired of Christian bands covering it, but I'll give Stryper its due and say great job guys.  Now, can we please find another obligatory cover song?
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:45 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:There is also a theory that explain where the name of the band came from...
But it is better to save it for another thread.

Just FYI. They took that name after an old horror film of that same name in homage. They were called Earth before that.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Candlemass wrote:
Peter who was Vaak wrote:Frost Like Ashes' cover is still the best, but this is alright.  Let's be real here: almost any vocal is an improvement over Ozzie's.

Question
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Soldier777 wrote:I may be in the minority, but I think I like the Deliverance version better - it has more of a natural melodic flow of the song. I'll listen to the Stryper version a few more times to get more of a feel - perhaps I'll like it more with time.
Im with you there dude, I Love the Deliverance version I havent heard Stryper's cover on it, but as it stands this is one of my fav D covers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
Soldier777 wrote:I may be in the minority, but I think I like the Deliverance version better - it has more of a natural melodic flow of the song. I'll listen to the Stryper version a few more times to get more of a feel - perhaps I'll like it more with time.
I would give the Deliverance cover a 0 out of 10...

This song doesn't match with the What a Joke album vibe, it totally breaks the rhythm of the album. Maybe they should have included this cover on another album such as River Disturbance...
I remember the first time I heard the What a Joke album and then the After Forever track begun and I stopped what I was doing and thought: "what song is that?". I didn't even know it was a BS cover. I don't care about the jokes on that album (I actually enjoy Chipped Beef and Purgatory Sandwich with Mustard), but this song annoys me.

I didn't listen to the Stryper version, but it might fit better on Stryper style. However, I am going to listen to the new album as a whole at the first listen, and then It will certainly be a skip button, just as I do with the Deliverance version.

The best cover Stryper did so far was the Peace of Mind, from Boston. That song is great and it is probably better than the original version.
Just curious, Do you know of any of the background history of the What a Joke Album?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:47 pm

Aaron C wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:

This song doesn't match with the What a Joke album vibe, it totally breaks the rhythm of the album. Maybe they should have included this cover on another album such as River Disturbance...
I remember the first time I heard the What a Joke album and then the After Forever track begun and I stopped what I was doing and thought: "what song is that?". I didn't even know it was a BS cover. I don't care about the jokes on that album (I actually enjoy Chipped Beef and Purgatory Sandwich with Mustard), but this song annoys me.

I didn't listen to the Stryper version, but it might fit better on Stryper style. However, I am going to listen to the new album as a whole at the first listen, and then It will certainly be a skip button, just as I do with the Deliverance version.

The best cover Stryper did so far was the Peace of Mind, from Boston. That song is great and it is probably better than the original version.
Just curious, Do you know of any of the background history of the What a Joke Album?
Yes I do. I am a Deliverance Die Hard fan.

I just thought it was an infamous joke when it regards to this cover. Worst song in the album, undoubtedly.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:34 pm

MetalForJesus wrote:

According to what I have heard BS got deeply in touch with the demonic forces since they were dabbling with the occult in their early albums. Therefore they got scared and wanted to stay away from it and wrote After Forever. They also started to always wear big crosses after this.

Ah. Sounds like purely superstitious reasons.

This just goes to show you that even non-believers can know the truth and yet will not submit themselves too that truth.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Aaron C wrote:
Im with you there dude, I Love the Deliverance version I havent heard Stryper's cover on it, but as it stands this is one of my fav D covers

I'm with you guys. Love the D cover.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:59 pm

.....I like the D cover.....but being a Biohazard fan back in the day....I liked this more for a spell.

***** language Warning *****

sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:17 pm

Aaron C wrote:

With no intention of creating a redundancy here, I have to say that my favorite D cover is Surrender from Stryper.

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:29 pm

sentient 6 wrote:.....I like the D cover.....but being a Biohazard fan back in the day....I liked this more for a spell.

***** language Warning *****

I always thought Ugly Kid Joe and C.O.C. had the best performances on that album.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Feels like it's halfway between Black Sabbath and Deliverance, as if the musical parts were borrowed somewhat from Deliverance but it doesn't come across as a cover of the Deliverance cover either. I've never really dug Stryper, for reasons not even I understand, but I like this cover a lot.
Driven
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
MetalForJesus wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:Not bad.... Rockin Loud

One thing I'm curious about is who in BS wrote the lyrics and what the motivation was ? Any body know of a interview where someone talks about that song ?

Once I read that there was lots of criticism in the media about what Black Sabbath was writing in their albums and they were often called satanists, so they wrote After Forever in order to dismiss those kind of thoughts.

But your theory makes more sense to me, after all...
One thing looks to be true: That the band was into occultism in their earlier career. There is also a theory that explain where the name of the band came from...
The name came from an old horror movie poster which was called Black Sabbath.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:11 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
MetalForJesus wrote:

This just goes to show you that even non-believers can know the truth and yet will not submit themselves too that truth.
One must remember that back in those days everything was fire hell and brimstone it was much like the witch trails in some ways metal set it's way against Christianity at the time because it was rebelling against it's message which was to insert fear into people. So the Superstitious part really came from the church to begin with... that is why heavy metal was so centred on being "EVIL" and all things "Satan" etc  Just ask Ozzy why he acted as the preacher in the movie trick or treat aside from a good laugh. I was there at the mid to late eighties and early 90's as prob most of you here would have been. I don't know what church is like now but back then everything was "EVIL"
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:07 am

Throne of thorns wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
MetalForJesus wrote:

One must remember that back in those days everything was fire hell and brimstone it was much like the witch trails in some ways metal set it's way against Christianity at the time because it was rebelling against it's message which was to insert fear into people. So the Superstitious part really came from the church to begin with... that is why heavy metal was so centred on being "EVIL" and all things "Satan" etc  Just ask Ozzy why he acted as the preacher in the movie trick or treat aside from a good laugh. I was there at the mid to late eighties and early 90's as prob most of you here would have been. I don't know what church is like now but back then everything was "EVIL"

That's a very good point! A lot of that early Metal was being attacked by the 'Christians' at the time - who were saying it was 'satanic' merely based off the beat! I think a lot of bands started to sing about satan as a way to retaliate! In that sense ... 'satan' or the 'satanic message' was basically a message and cry of freedom against the religious Christians.

You are so right. Most of those bands weren't truly satanic at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:12 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
Aaron C wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:

Yes I do. I am a Deliverance Die Hard fan.

I just thought it was an infamous joke when it regards to this cover. Worst song in the album, undoubtedly.
It was a yes or no question, I ask because your statement gave me the impression that you didnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:29 am

d@v!d wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:There is also a theory that explain where the name of the band came from...

Just FYI. They took that name after an old horror film of that same name in homage. They were called Earth before that.
I suppose this horror film regards some sort of satanic ritual.

I always wondered, if the band isn't satanic, why did they try to spread this picture of themselves?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:20 am

Candlemass wrote:
Peter who was Vaak wrote:Frost Like Ashes' cover is still the best, but this is alright.  Let's be real here: almost any vocal is an improvement over Ozzie's.

Question

I love Ozzy's vocals. I have NEVER heard anyone do a cover of his material that nails it the way he did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:23 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
d@v!d wrote:

I always wondered, if the band isn't satanic, why did they try to spread this picture of themselves?

Because stupid teenage boys used to gobble up that stuff like candy. It's called selling records.

A teenage boy rebelling against adults doesn't want to listen to the Osmonds...they want something as far to the opposite end of the spectrum as they can get.

During Sabbath's prime of the 70's and 80's, mystic/satanic/demon imagery was very popular amongst that crowd (I know, I was one of them Smile ).

Tons of bands did it. Even Motley Crue when they first started.

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:30 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
d@v!d wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057603/

Why suppose, when you can read?  Very Happy

I don't have time to really get into this right now, but in a nutshell, for a lot of rock and metal bands, Satan is a metaphor and not a real entity.  Satan represents evil and chaos and a corrupt world system.  Geezer Butler talked about the world into which BS was born (late 1960s) as being a satanic world and that Satan is in control because of the lack of unity and the social inequality prevalent in society.  The dark imagery, the satanic references, all were shaped by that worldview.  It was their voice.  It was their, dare I say, gimmick.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:48 pm

RavenWolf wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
MetalForJesus wrote:

That's a very good point! A lot of that early Metal was being attacked by the 'Christians' at the time - who were saying it was 'satanic' merely based off the beat! I think a lot of bands started to sing about satan as a way to retaliate! In that sense ... 'satan' or the 'satanic message' was basically a message and cry of freedom against the religious Christians.

You are so right. Most of those bands weren't truly satanic at all.
Yes raven. Also I guess they figured heck we can make a lot of $$$ out this ha ha whats the expression the devil and church is good business something along those lines well it was true for those days. Heck nothing new though I mean the Beatles rebelled against it and from what I have read from certain musicians from that time things were even more rigid and people would naturally follow the sound word of the church thus we had the Beatles records and poster burning sessions etc. Then came the ugliness and beauty of Metal which was born in the form of Venom, Priest and Sabbath which scared the Hell out of the church LOL. funny looking back at things in hid sight eh.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:53 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:
d@v!d wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057603/

Why suppose, when you can read?  Very Happy

I don't have time to really get into this right now, but in a nutshell, for a lot of rock and metal bands, Satan is a metaphor and not a real entity.  Satan represents evil and chaos and a corrupt world system.  Geezer Butler talked about the world into which BS was born (late 1960s) as being a satanic world and that Satan is in control because of the lack of unity and the social inequality prevalent in society.  The dark imagery, the satanic references, all were shaped by that worldview.  It was their voice.  It was their, dare I say, gimmick.
also on the original record sleeve of thier first album was an upside down cross which the band were surprised by because the record company put it there without telling the band before it came out $$$$ Horror movies and such was just about to break into it's  biggest peak 70's and 80's.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:58 pm

messiaen77 wrote:I was all prepared to hate this because I am so tired of Christian bands covering it, but I'll give Stryper its due and say great job guys.  Now, can we please find another obligatory cover song?
Surprised no Christian bands have covered Twisted Sister's Kill or Be Killed:

This would be perfect for a thrash or power band. Heck, even Stryper could pull it off!

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2