The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extol

+12
Samson
veilofdisdain
Friday13th
Superjuice
d@v!d
Throne of thorns
Mirkwood
Guitar Noir
sentient 6
Black Rider
Candlemass
Renewed
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Extol - Page 2 Empty Re: Extol

Post by sentient 6 Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:39 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:

The guy telling Satan to eff off, I disapprove of the harsh wording, but agree with the overall theme.

Not to start anything....but simply inject some input from the Word of God.

First...there is no " we " in Satans defeat.....all glory to Christ alone !

And second....in direct opposition to this artists attitude...

Jude 1
Yet in like manner these people also, relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones. But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.” 10 But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively.

It seems neither uses of profanity are ever warranted on basis of scriptural authority. Smile
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Extol, man, I remember back in the day they had those two good songs off the orange album, then Undeceived had like two good songs and they had that song on Northern Lights!  They had 5 good songs!

So much time has passed and only 5 good songs.
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:19 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
Jude 1
Yet in like manner these people also, relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones. But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.” 10 But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively.

These verses are not in context of anything we talked about in this thread.  Neither does blasphemy/blaspheming even come close to equating profanity.  ...but I'll not steer this toward theology.

Excluding the discussion of sin for a moment, I'll once again mention that there's a huge moral/emotional difference between cussing that's not aimed at a person (this is bull shirt, eff off evil) and cussing that is.  (you're a piece of shirt, eff you.)
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Candlemass wrote:
d@v!d wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:Liked it up until the clean vocals kicked in..I could not look pass those vocals kind of kill it.
Funny, I feel the opposite. I love what they do musically and the guitar work, but the growling vocals makes it almost un-listenable for me.

Nonsense as well, it's all good, it's "The Mighty Extol!" Metal 1
LOL
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:36 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
Tobi Elektrik wrote:It basically means the same in every western culture, but it got totally overused by punk / rock posers.
Seeing that Extol picture and bearing in mind that Europeans are way more relaxed about cuss words and joking insults than US-Americans it's pretty clear that those guys' posing was just a silly joke. It was a PARODY. The band looks really stupid and it was MEANT that way.

I started a thread on this very subject on the nordicfest.no/forum years ago.
While you're right, Europeans are more casual regarding what us in America consider profane...

Still, half the comments from Europeans on the that thread found that picture to be obscene, profane, in bad taste, and they were genuinely embarrassed by Extol's behavior.  You can't chalk it up to culture because even the people of the culture were offended.

Here's another picture from another band (Christian black metal) that I'd like to use as an example.  I copied the pic to my server because its only on his band's facebook page.  Warning, profanity.

Spoiler:

While the cultural difference / language barrier certainly does play a part, this is definitely not a joke.  
I'll tell you why this picture above does NOT offend me in the slightest, but the Extol one DOES.

See, with our friend here saying "eff off Lucifer" (Dan really is a solid faith driven guy) - he's essentially saying something that we as Christians more or less agree with.  Granted its a very abrasive way of saying it, (abrasive enough that I wouldn't dare include it in my Christian art) but we all want Satan to go away.  No one feels that profanity is directed toward them personally because someone tells Satan to get bent.  (though the profanity, in my opinion, is definitely in bad taste)

Extol flipping off the camera is just saying "eff off" TO the camera, essentially bleeding that insult (or if you want to stand by the parody of an insult) to everyone.  I know they didn't take that picture just to tick me off, but seeing that almost feels personal.  
They're not telling Satan or Evil to eff off.  They're telling ME to eff off.  ...but just kidding?

I don't know about you, but I don't do well with several guys standing in front of me, flipping me off regardless of context.  Its very disrespectful and I'd have to show restraint if that happened in person.  ...its even HARDER to accept when those dudes flipping me, you and everyone else off are that Christian band you listen to.

The guy telling Satan to eff off, I disapprove of the harsh wording, but agree with the overall theme.
Oh this just reeks of cheese don't it ha ha ha... Extol what a joke ha ha ha ha it is wonderful to behold just precious.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:42 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:When it comes to Extol, their older albums are better in my opinion.  ...but in regards to them being a Christian band/influence, I lost a good chunk of respect regarding them because of this picture. (warning - obscene gesture)

Spoiler:

Don't get me wrong, I fall short and make mistakes as a human being...  but I don't make public offensive gestures in a picture AS a Christian band.  

For my own conviction, its easier to stomach them as a clean secular band than as a Christian metal example.
LOL I cant stop laughing Lol so precious Rolf 1
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:43 pm

You can stop trolling anytime dude.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:47 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:You can stop trolling anytime dude.
I think extol are the ones trolling too funny LOL.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:04 am

ThomasEversole wrote:

These verses are not in context of anything we talked about in this thread.  Neither does blasphemy/blaspheming even come close to equating profanity.  ...but I'll not steer this toward theology.

That passage has direct implications on how that black metal artist was addressing Satan. That crass and direct way is never how we are to confront the works of Satan ( at least from what I see as commended in scripture ). Honestly, I am more offended by the arrogance show in that picture over the Extol one. We can proclaim that Satan was defeated, but its by boasting in the work of the Cross. And it has nothing to do with " we. "

.....don't want to offend...but I wouldn't say anything if I didn't think it was more important than this general subject of profanity.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:37 am

sentient 6 wrote:
ThomasEversole wrote:

That passage has direct implications on how that black metal artist was addressing Satan. That crass and direct way is never how we are to confront the works of Satan ( at least from what I see as commended in scripture ). Honestly, I am more offended by the arrogance show in that picture over the Extol one. We can proclaim that Satan was defeated, but its by boasting in the work of the Cross. And it has nothing to do with " we. "

.....don't want to offend...but I wouldn't say anything if I didn't think it was more important than this general subject of profanity.
Reality check: this is the Secular Christian Metal Realm. Wink

BTW, FYI, Kerrick leaves tomorrow...
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2