The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together

5 posters

Go down

Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together Empty Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together

Post by thisundyingfire Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:41 am

I’ve been meaning to put this together for quite a while; finally got around to it. I’ve always been interested in what kind of guitar amps (or rigs, or gear) were used on studio recordings for the heavy Christian bands I love, and I figured I’d share what I’ve been able to put together so far from asking members of the band or the producers/engineers.  This is mostly hardcore/metal stuff, so, nothing here for the more classic metal fans, but maybe they can share as well (and everyone else, please chime in too if you know something cool). In places where  I still have the emails, I will share those below (see Extol)

Also,  I know that studio production techniques and equipment will be used to help gloss up the sound of these bands, but the nature/sound of the amps largely remains the same.

Zao – Where Fire and Blood Bring Rest – Primarily recorded with a Marshall Valvestate combo that was used on a lot of projects that came through Barry Poynter’s studio in Little Rock, called Poynter’s Palace at one point. It was also used on the first Juliana Theory album in a few sections.
Embodyment – Embrace the Eternal – same studio as above, used the Valvestate combo as well primarily

Living Sacrifice – Reborn – also a Poynter’s Palace production – used a combination of the Valvestate combo and a Mesa Dual Rectifier amp (this amp was recently for sale on Nashville craigslist)

Living Sacrifice – Conceived in Fire – used a Line 6 Flextone primarily

Zao – The Funeral of God – combination of Marshall JCM 800 and Peavey 5150

Extol – Undeceived – from Ole Borud

I really don't remember too much about outboard stuff and so forth but we recorded on one of the early Pro Tools rigs and we always recorded the guitars with the Marshall JMP 1 preamp through a Marshall 9200 going into a Crate cabinet I think. The bass was probably recorded with a borrowed ampeg of some sort.

All the best

-o-

Extol – The Blueprint Dives – from one of the guitarists that’s now in Mantric (they didn’t sign the email saying which guitarist it was)

hi:) think we used both Mesa tremoverb and Engl...

Last edited by thisundyingfire on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
thisundyingfire
thisundyingfire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together Empty Re: Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together

Post by thisundyingfire Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:46 am

Part 2, as it seems to be cutting part of the message off!

The Engl referenced above is most likely a Powerball as I have pictures of the band in studio playing through one.
More from the producer/engineer of Synergy/Blueprint

On Synergi, we just used Marshall JMP1 and a Marshall 9100 poweramp stright into a 1960 cab. Miced it with one sm57

Blueprint, we used a Engl Powerball and a 1960 cab. Miced with a Soundelux iFet7 most of the time. Sometimes we used Marshall for fill guitar. Fender Twinreverb for the clean guitar. On both records, I used a API 212 preamp.

For drums, the drummer used a Sonor Designer. Miced with the usual mics like sm57 on snare, 421 for toms and 112 on the kick. Km84 for OH`s. Pres for the drums was my Neotek Elite console.

Picture from the Blueprint session
Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together G1kwjMT 
I also asked them about the Mantric album “The Descent”, and they said that they used Marshall JCM 900’s for all of those tones. (Wish I’d thought to ask them about some of the guitar effects used as well, but I don’t want to bug them further).

Extol – self titled from 2013 – EVH 5150 III (5153) using a Maxon OD-808 as a boost for main rhythm tracks. Effected tracks and leads were done using an AxeFx unit

Spitfire – The Dead Next Door – Ampeg VH140 head – per Matt Beck (can’t find the email easily) he ran it atypical from how most (including me) did. He cranked the volume, and then added distortion/gain after that, leading to a more clean/articulate though distorted tone. He said it was loud as all heck. He used an Ibanez with an EMG pickup in the bridge.

If I think of anymore, I’ll post them up

Last edited by thisundyingfire on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed horrible formatting)
thisundyingfire
thisundyingfire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together Empty Re: Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together

Post by thisundyingfire Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:57 am

Adding three more while I'm thinking about it

Hands - Give Me Rest - Marshall JCM 2000 TSL100

Everything In Slow Motion - Phoenix - Primarily a New Vintage H&B 50

A lot of the later Blindside stuff appears to be a Peavey 5150II
thisundyingfire
thisundyingfire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncg41677 Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks so much for posting this!!! I've just gotten into this kind of music and my favorite guitar tones are the new Extol and Living Sacrifice albums. H-E-A-V-Y and tight, defined, just beautiful!

I'd love to know what Becoming the Archetype or War of Ages use. It's so hard to find any information online :/

Also, I'm intrigued by Living Sacrifice's sound. It looks like Bruce usually uses a Mesa Dual Rec, and Rocky sticks with Line 6. On the recent "In The Studio" Youtube vids It looks like Rocky is just playing a Pod bean direct in to the board. Strange pairing between the 2 of them but you can't argue with that TONE! I read somewhere else that Rocky's stage gear has been a Line 6 Spider III half stack. Not a normal choice for pros. But again, I love their tone. Have yet to see them live.

Just wanted you to know someone here appreciated this list MAJORLY Smile.

Roncg41677
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by thisundyingfire Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:49 am

Roncg41677 wrote:Thanks so much for posting this!!! I've just gotten into this kind of music and my favorite guitar tones are the new Extol and Living Sacrifice albums. H-E-A-V-Y and tight, defined, just beautiful!

I'd love to know what Becoming the Archetype or War of Ages use. It's so hard to find any information online :/

Also, I'm intrigued by Living Sacrifice's sound. It looks like Bruce usually uses a Mesa Dual Rec, and Rocky sticks with Line 6. On the recent "In The Studio" Youtube vids It looks like Rocky is just playing a Pod bean direct in to the board. Strange pairing between the 2 of them but you can't argue with that TONE! I read somewhere else that Rocky's stage gear has been a Line 6 Spider III half stack. Not a normal choice for pros. But again, I love their tone. Have yet to see them live.

Just wanted you to know someone here appreciated this list MAJORLY Smile.
I'd have to dig up the exact quote, but I believe the only album where Line 6 was used was on Conceived In Fire. Andy Sneap mixed that album and complained that the guitar tone was really bad and a pain to work with. All tracks used the Line 6 on that album, and I believe it was the Flextone model. That info is at ultimatemetal.com if you want to search in the Andy Sneap forums there.

When my band played with Living Sacrifice a couple times, Rocky used a Peavey 5150 and Bruce had his Dual Rec. The 2nd time we played with them, the other guitarist was actually the guy that sings for Norma Jean now and he was using a 5150 as well.

On the newest album they used a variety of amps, the 5150 was in there as well as a prototype Artist brand (i think) amp. There used to be a picture of it on top of a 5150 on their facebook page from the recording sessions, but it's no longer there. As far as the Line 6 bean, while it's possible it was used, it's a pretty common thing for guitarists to play through those during drum tracking so there's not a loud amp blaring and the direct signal can go straight to the drummer's headphones.

A lot of the newer metal bands do use Line 6 stuff direct, usually just their Amp Farm program. I'm not a big fan of the sound, but it works. No clue on what Becoming the Archetype or WOA uses. If you want, message those guys and post back with their answers. I've gotten a good deal of my info from asking the bands themselves.

Thumbs up
thisundyingfire
thisundyingfire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:31 am

THANK YOU! Seems like there aren't many gearheads in the Christian metal scene and nobody ever speaks about any equipment that the bands use live and in studio.
It would be really cool to get to know what the classic Christian metal albums got recorded with, like the early Mortification stuff for example.

Maybe I can find some infos too about stuff like that...
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by thisundyingfire Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:20 am

Tobi Elektrik wrote:THANK YOU! Seems like there aren't many gearheads in the Christian metal scene and nobody ever speaks about any equipment that the bands use live and in studio.
It would be really cool to get to know what the classic Christian metal albums got recorded with, like the early Mortification stuff for example.

Maybe I can find some infos too about stuff like that...

Yea, I'd be interested too. I don't have a single actual clue, but I do believe at least some of the older Mortification guitar stuff was with a JCM800. They've got a similar tone to Napalm Death and Carcass around that time and I believe that's what they were using.
thisundyingfire
thisundyingfire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncg41677 Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:41 am

thisundyingfire wrote:

I'd have to dig up the exact quote, but I believe the only album where Line 6 was used was on Conceived In Fire. Andy Sneap mixed that album and complained that the guitar tone was really bad and a pain to work with. All tracks used the Line 6 on that album, and I believe it was the Flextone model. That info is at ultimatemetal.com if you want to search in the Andy Sneap forums there.

When my band played with Living Sacrifice a couple times, Rocky used a Peavey 5150 and Bruce had his Dual Rec. The 2nd time we played with them, the other guitarist was actually the guy that sings for Norma Jean now and he was using a 5150 as well.

On the newest album they used a variety of amps, the 5150 was in there as well as a prototype Artist brand (i think) amp. There used to be a picture of it on top of a 5150 on their facebook page from the recording sessions, but it's no longer there. As far as the Line 6 bean, while it's possible it was used, it's a pretty common thing for guitarists to play through those during drum tracking so there's not a loud amp blaring and the direct signal can go straight to the drummer's headphones.

A lot of the newer metal bands do use Line 6 stuff direct, usually just their Amp Farm program. I'm not a big fan of the sound, but it works. No clue on what Becoming the Archetype or WOA uses. If you want, message those guys and post back with their answers. I've gotten a good deal of my info from asking the bands themselves.

Thumbs up
That makes sense that he would use the bean for tracking. I have never recorded and know next to nothing about the process  Smile. I know 5150's are a staple in this genre, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Just hopeful I guess. I've always loved Line 6 stuff.

I'll message the bands I mentioned and report back with any replies.

Roncg41677
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncg41677 Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:55 am

Found this from War of Ages Guitarist Jack Daniels on Sevenstring.org:

Here's a quick mix I did sepcifically for this guitar play through. Real Drums. I left the vocals out. 

Amps are an Engl Invader and Powerball that we profiled. Bogner 4x12 w/v30s and Devided By 13 2x12 w/greenbacks. Mainly royer 121 and 57 through API 512 to 550b but there where some other mics blended in as well.

No post eq but there are some effects in parts(swells,phasers,delay etc.)

Roncg41677
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 am

This thread ought to be in the musicians stage area.

That said, great thread idea.

Sorry I have nothing substantial to add.

I was always a Boogie tone fan. I used to run an ADA MP1 on a MB stereo 3/95 with Marshall and Randall cabs. the Marshals had a great overall tone and clarity. The Randalls had a very punchy bass response and didn't seem as clear, but not bad.

I have a Spider III, 15 amp model and am impressed by the tones it produces. I could see using one of there higher amp models to gig or record.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncg41677 Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:20 am

d@v!d wrote:This thread ought to be in the musicians stage area.

That said, great thread idea.

Sorry I have nothing substantial to add.

I was always a Boogie tone fan. I used to run an ADA MP1 on a MB stereo 3/95 with Marshall and Randall cabs. the Marshals had a great overall tone and clarity. The Randalls had a very punchy bass response and didn't seem as clear, but not bad.

I have a Spider III, 15 amp model and am impressed by the tones it produces. I could see using one of there higher amp models to gig or record.
I'm a huge Boogie tone fan too! I have a Dual Rec Tremoverb head running through a Peavey 4x12 right now. I also use a Spider III 15 watt to practice with at home, and after 3 or so years of it I still love it! Whatever I'm in the mood for, it'll do great! I also use a Pod XT Live direct into the system for church worship team stuff. Line 6 products never get old for me. They're the only gear I haven't thought about selling... well, those and the Boogie  Metal 1

Roncg41677
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncg41677 Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Alright! Just received the following from Jack Daniels from WOA

Jack Says: Here you go. Also link my blog where I have a more in depth look into some of the gear used for tracking supreme chaos.

Guitars used for tracking the record:
Carvin DC127 w/ Blackhawk Bareknuckle pickups
ESP M-II w/ EMG 85

Amps
Engl Powerball
Engl Invader
New Vintage HB50
Peavey 6505
Mesa Roadster Daul Rec

Cabs
Bogner übershall 4x12 loaded with V30s
Decided by 12 2x12

All amps and cabs profiled with a Kemper and re amped from there.

His blog is really cool, and has videos about recording, reamping, etc. Since I'm a new member I'm not allowed to post outside links yet, but if you wanted to type "jackdanielsrecordings" and put a dot com slash blog after it it might take you to the aforementioned site  Razz

Roncg41677
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Roncg41677 Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:20 pm

I heard back from someone (Bruce maybe?) from Living Sacrifice about their amps on "Ghost Thief:

• Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together 1972489_10151997692905994_1600788827_n
    9/8, 2:25pm
    Living Sacrifice
    [ltr]yes he does sometimes (referring to Rocky using Line 6 gear - RG). for Ghost Thief we used 5150 and an ASG prototype head that they wanted us to try. the 2 tones sounded killer together.[/ltr]

• [*:57bd]Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together 11203696_10153299002987302_1220092597812244327_n
    Christian metal guitar rigs, amps, gear - a list I've put together -PAXP-deijE9/8, 3:01pm
    Ron Gorsuch
    [ltr]Yes they did!

Roncg41677
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by JPK72 Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:11 pm

I once owned the Trace Elliot Bass Amp that Steve Rowe used on the live Planetarium Video/CD at the time of the recording it was owned by a good friend of mine who's band I did sound for (I actually did sound for Mortification when they played local a few times including the night before the live planetarium recording and I am all over the crowd shots on the live video) I think he also used an EV 15 inch and a 4x10 cabinet for the recording too
JPK72
JPK72
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by thisundyingfire Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 am

Roncg41677 wrote:Alright! Just received the following from Jack Daniels from WOA

Jack Says: Here you go. Also link my blog where I have a more in depth look into some of the gear used for tracking supreme chaos.

Guitars used for tracking the record:
Carvin DC127 w/ Blackhawk Bareknuckle pickups
ESP M-II w/ EMG 85

Amps
Engl Powerball
Engl Invader
New Vintage HB50
Peavey 6505
Mesa Roadster Daul Rec

Cabs
Bogner übershall 4x12 loaded with V30s
Decided by 12 2x12

All amps and cabs profiled with a Kemper and re amped from there.

His blog is really cool, and has videos about recording, reamping, etc. Since I'm a new member I'm not allowed to post outside links yet, but if you wanted to type "jackdanielsrecordings" and put a dot com slash blog after it it might take you to the aforementioned site  Razz

Very cool. I'll check it out
thisundyingfire
thisundyingfire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down