The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Top 10 of 2023 and AotY (Sorry yet another 2023 list)

3 posters

Go down

My Top 10 of 2023 and AotY (Sorry yet another 2023 list) Empty My Top 10 of 2023 and AotY (Sorry yet another 2023 list)

Post by mothy Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:12 pm

Sorry for the new thread but I didnt want to clutter the others up with my ramblings

1. Leonov - Procession (AotY)
Hauntingly beautiful creation of atmosphere. This is a style Ive been searching for in Christian music for a long time still unsure what I would call the style but they call it post-rock). So many layers to the music that pulls you in and doesn't let go. Its battling for my fav discog already.
2.Exodus A.D - Anthology
This album just grabs me, it's melodic at times, rocks at times and overall blends the 2 together in such a way that got me hooked from song 1. Oddly I would have overlooked it if it was released when they were originally recorded. 
3.Wytch Hazel - IV:Sacrament
Its Wytch Hazel through and through. They dont change but morph just a little to keep you hooked. Yet again probably one of the most straightforward Christian records of the year.
4.Adorned Graves - The Earth Hath Opened Her Mouth
Its DOOM oh wait ,its THRASH err its METAL or its ALL of them. Adorned Graves did something not many can pull off.Multiple singers on 1 album doing their own thing while pulling off great songs in multiple genres.  
5.Plague of the Ungodly - Innate Human Logic
My darkhorse and gem of the year. These guys put out great death metal with an underlying groove that makes things refreshing and catchy. Would be much higher if I listened to more death metal
6.Signum Regis - Undivided
Christian European Power Metal that checks all the boxes. Hooks, groove, speed. Like Wytch Hazel they stay true to their formula and it works. Personally their strongest since Chapter IV: The Reckoning.
7.Dynasty - Back to the Past
I know I am not supposed to put a cover album on a list like this but it HAS to be here. Never before have I heard so many covers that are on par or above the originals. That is high praise considering the range of bands and songs they covered. There is just enough in them to make it their own version while staying true to the original. Not only did they do the songs justice they even gave them new life
8.Diviner - Avaton
Its Diviner which means you get quality metal with outstanding vocals.
9. Theocracy - Mosaic
The long awaited return of the kings of Christian Progressive Power Metal. They follow a formula that just works. Its everything a Theocracy album should be. Not sure why this just didnt click with me like they have in years past but still a very strong album. Read Sea is the new King of the Epic songs though!
10. AfterWinter - Paramnesia
Wow what a concept album done by great musicians and Majennica Nealeighs voice is phenomenal! My only knock is since its a concept album it is harder to listen without going from start to finish and with its LONG run time thats hard. I want to listen but dont always have that time to dedicate and its a shame because its so well done.

I think I have changed this list a half dozen times over the past week already to get this one. SO MANY good releases this year.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

My Top 10 of 2023 and AotY (Sorry yet another 2023 list) Empty Re: My Top 10 of 2023 and AotY (Sorry yet another 2023 list)

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:00 pm

I guess I’ll give more details on mine:

1. Theocracy: Mosaic
The best riffs assembled on a Theocracy album plus the usual Theocracy goodness makes this an easy choice.

2. Narnia: Ghost Town
I’ve never been a big Narnia fan, but I’m really glad I gave this a chance. The songwriting is top-notch and Christian adds enough grit to his delivery. 

3. Adorned Graves: The Earth Hath Opened Her Mouth 
Two things I usually don’t go for in albums are a running time over an hour and multiple vocalists. The fact that this album has both these qualities and yet is my #3 shows just how good these songs are. A brilliant blend of genres here, with a core of doomy thrash.

4. Bride: Are You Awake
My favorite of theirs I’ve heard since the glory days. The songs are really strong and have irresistible hooks. 

5. Sacrificium: Oblivion
A lot of great DM this year and this is at the top. Nice and punishing while being remarkably hooky.

6. Disciple: Skeleton Psalms
Modern Disciple at their best. Killer lyrics and catchy tunes. 

7. Ritual Servant: Albus Mendacium
This grabbed me more than the debut. Solid thrash with refreshingly biblical lyrics. With a little more variety, these guys would be cream of the crop for modern thrash.

8. Applehead: The Light Side of the Apple
Didn’t go into this with many specific expectations and was blown away. Great songs here with a great sound and great lyrics. 

9. Kalamity Kills
Didn’t know what to expect, but this is great. Catchy songs and Jamie sounds fantastic. “Hellfire honey, bow down to Jesus!”

10. IronWrath: Master Storyteller
The band blends various styles but does so well. The vocals are simply killer. It loses steam in the last third, but some of my favorite songs for 2023 are here.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

mothy and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

My Top 10 of 2023 and AotY (Sorry yet another 2023 list) Empty Re: My Top 10 of 2023 and AotY (Sorry yet another 2023 list)

Post by Kerrick Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:09 pm

Wahoo!  Awesome to see Leonov in the #1 spot.  Here's mine:

Albums
1. Leonov – Procession.  Dark and doomy, emotive, introspective, experimental, and very good vocals and lyrics.  This one’s got everything I could ask for!  Leonov’s past two albums are excellent, so I had high expectations for this one – and it did not disappoint.

2. Adorned Graves – The Earth Hath Opened Her Mouth.  Everything Adorned Graves has put out has been great, but they really upped their game on this one.  For an album as incredibly diverse as this one is, they did an amazing job at keeping it succinct and consistent.  This is a truly epic release.

3. Trebuchet SDG – Through The Dark Ages.  This year brought a few surprises, and Trebuchet SDG was the sweetest.  After putting out a few top-notch singles to whet our appetites, Through The Dark Ages bursted forth without any warning.  This is melodic black metal of very high quality, incorporating some tasteful folk and medieval flourishes.  While there are certainly more poetic lyrics out there, the especially bold and poignant lyrics of this album further elevate its greatness.

4. Theocracy – Mosaic.  What AOTY list could exist without Theocracy?!?  The masters of top-tier progressive power metal do it again.  There are no surprises here: this is the Theocracy everyone and their mother knows and loves, through and through.  But IMO it’s a significant step up from their previous album Ghost Ship and there’s not a weak track on it.

5. Narnia – Ghost Town.  For whatever reason, Narnia is a band I’ve foolishly slept on until now.  I bought this and Long Live The King and have quite quickly turned into a fan!  This album is really delightful: all the songs are well-written and very well-played; there’s no weak point in sight.  But what stands out the most to me is how much heart and soul the members are able to pour into their music – which makes for an especially uplifting and encouraging listen.

6. Sombre Holiday – The Soul’s Blood.  This – their 6th album – is a bit darker and more atmospheric than their previous albums – which I’m all about.  Great music for that grey, rainy, introspective day.

7. Zsolozsma – My Hiding Place.  This album snuck in at the tail-end of the year and was a bit of a surprise!  Zsolozsma is a continuation of the Hungarian one-man doom/death project The Arbiter: taking everything good about The Arbiter and expanding upon it.  It’s darker, slower, and has more variation in instrumentation.

8. Wytch Hazel – IV: Sacrament.  As with Theocracy, Wytch Hazel are very consistent and have made another very solid album.  This one took more of a rock-direction than their previous releases – which, while it’s certainly very good, does have me hoping they’ll bring back the more metal elements.

9. Enduring Revery – Carrier.  One of the more unique albums released this year, Carrier brings something fresh and new to the scene.  You’ve definitely gotta be in the mood for this type of music, but when you are, not much else is going to scratch that itch.

10. Signum Regis – Undivided.  Solid all the way through, Undivided is one of Signum Regis’ most consistent albums.  It’s heavier than their previous release but still plenty melodic and anthemic.

*Bonus*
11. Jernlov – Resurrection.  Straight-forward, melodic black metal.  Good stuff!

12. Martin Simson’s Destroyer Of Death – Eternal Reign.  Rob Rock is back and sounds fantastic as always!  While Eternal Reign isn’t necessarily bringing anything new to the table, it’s a very good slab of melodic metal with a lot of heart.

13. Ritual Servant – Albus Mendacium.  I’m not typically much of a fan of thrash, but Ritual Servant is my go-to when I’m in the mood for it.  I especially appreciate their bold and biblical lyrics.

EPS
1. Vials Of Wrath – Ataraxia I & II.  Vials Of Wrath never disappoint and this EP is especially strong.  The Eternal Call is one of their best songs yet.

2. Hafgua – Out Of The Depths Of Sheol.  Another lovely surprise for 2023, Hafgua came out of seemingly nowhere with a fantastic EP of epic and melodic doom/death metal.

3. Trebuchet SDG – Lux Mundi.  Christmas black metal!  I love it.

4. Karv / Duister Maanlicht.  Karv is another relative newcomer to the Christian black metal scene and really sets the bar high.  Their material on this EP reminds me some of Erasmus – which is a compliment!  The Duister Maanlicht material is good too.

5. Irgalom – Rivers Into Islands.  This release is somewhat more melodic than most of Irgalom’s material and it fits well with the style.  I love the biblical lyrics as well.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:24 pm

Enduring Revery is great. 

Destroyer of Death is solid, but I thought it needed stronger hooks.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down