The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vocals in the Mix

+2
Constantine
average joe
6 posters

Go down

Vocals in the Mix Empty Vocals in the Mix

Post by average joe Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:24 pm

So, assuming nobody likes vocals buried in the mix. That said, how many prefer them out in front for a sonically huge sound, versus even with the instruments? Personally, feel like so many bands fall short in this area by not having the vocals out in front and it seems like such a simple thing to accomplish.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Vocals in the Mix Empty Re: Vocals in the Mix

Post by Constantine Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:31 pm

I generally do not like vocals upfront in the mix unless it is a really amazing singer.  I prefer everything in a mix to be fairly balanced.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:16 pm

I would say that it depends on the style. If it is a "poppier" form of metal with a great singer, you are going to get that (or should) in the mix.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Temple of Blood and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:03 pm

I find that mixing vocals can be a bit tricky.  A lot of depends on the quality of the vocal recording.  Obviously a higher quality recording makes things easier to blend.  The vocals are another instrument and need to be blended into the mix that fits the song.  For me, if the vocals are too far out front, the song sounds unnatural.  If they are too far back, then they get lost in the muck.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Staybrite and alldatndensum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:57 pm

Vocals should be even or just slightly above the rest of the music.  If they are too out front, it willake the band sound out of whack.  But, if they are buried in the mix, you won't be able to figure out what is being sang.  A song should be mixed for clarity with all the music and the vocals.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Xid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnaliridescence Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:56 pm

I think it's more about the band making it clear what kind of music they're going for, rather than "how" it sounds. If the band presents their music accurately to people, then a consumer can decide quickly/fairly whether a sound is good for them or not. Normal vocals; over-amplified vocals; and quiet vocals can all have a good and proper place in music, depending what kind of style the band's going for. For example even in traditional heavy/thrash/rock, an extra-loud yell or two, or a whispered section can add some good variety. On the other hand, something like (un)black metal that relies on atmosphere/mood tends to benefit from having quiet vocals. If you could hear every single syllable the singer was saying, with no effects at all, it'd feel more like "listening to someone talk" than "listening to atmospheric / moody music".
nocturnaliridescence
nocturnaliridescence
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down