The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrash, death, or black metal?

+25
Friday13th
nocturnaliridescence
Snakes & Metal
Dustofyears
Constantine
ThomasEversole
seth
Son of Nun
cailen
ReedBenson
TZ75
MagnusPrime
Ammocas
Frozen Fire
BaleMaster
Temple of Blood
scottmitchell74
Superjuice
Airola
Kerrick
crucifyd
CrimsonWarrior
Sevenoneself
Black Rider
Pethead
29 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Thrash, death, or black metal? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thrash, death, or black metal?

Post by Kerrick Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:27 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Black metal, well I only like 1 album and hate the vast majority of it.

I am very curious what the one black metal album you like is!

Tyrant
Tyrant

CrimsonWarrior, Pethead, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Thrash, death, or black metal? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thrash, death, or black metal?

Post by TZ75 Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:55 am

Thrash by a decent margin, followed by old school Death Metal. 

I’m not into black metal. Only AHTDU (and they are a hybrid).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:18 am

I never realized we had so many Black Death fans here.
Thrash, death, or black metal? - Page 2 Img_0811
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Kerrick, MagnusPrime, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:38 am

Pethead wrote:I never realized we had so many Black Death fans here.

The founding fathers of true black metal. All else is false.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick, Pethead, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReedBenson Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:42 am

I prefer thrash in general, but I agree with what was said before - good Christian thrash bands are few and far between. I'm probably more into melodic thrash, too.

I like melodic death metal. Or maybe old school. I'm not as into it, so I don't have a good handle on the differences. I liked Burial Extraction when I listened to them recently.

I don't think I like much black metal.

ReedBenson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:27 pm

# 1 THRASH because of
 1 Martyr / Betrayal
 2 Tourniquet
 3 Seventh Angel
 4 Vengeance Rising
 5 Believer
 (6 Deliverance / The Crucified)

# 2nd Death because of
  old Mortification
  new Seventh Angel ...

then Black Metal because of Horde, Lengsel and Extol

But the most of all I like the bands that are not focused on their style but on songwriting and mix things up 
(add classical, dark or medieval influences...), like
Betrayal, Tourniquet, Seventh Angel, Believer and Extol also did
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:08 pm

Pethead wrote:I never realized we had so many Black Death fans here.

Black Death >>>>>>>>   Black/Death
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead, MagnusPrime, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:09 pm

Kerrick wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:Black metal, well I only like 1 album and hate the vast majority of it.

Welkyn at Dusk
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

Welkyn at Dusk

Funny, I had a hunch it'd be Emperor for some reason.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:42 pm

Thrash, death, or black metal? - Page 2 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdxbhsrqyrr690.cloudfront.net%2Fsidearm.nextgen.sites%2Fgeorgiastatesports.com%2Fimages%2F2022%2F11%2F12%2FWIL08107_LQTPB
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead, MagnusPrime, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:53 pm

Bah humbug!   Razz

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:01 pm

Thrash, death, or black metal? - Page 2 Thrash10
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, Kerrick, Pethead, MagnusPrime, Sevenoneself, Snakes & Metal and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:02 pm

lol!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:13 pm

Death Metal > Doom Metal > Black Metal > Heavy/Trad Metal > Thrash

Death Metal is my favorite sub-genre today. It's very active and diverse. I think Death Metal has reached a place where it's become as artistically diverse as Black Metal. Some Black Metal can reach really transcendent heights which boosts it overall for me, but Death Metal is now doing that as well. Trad/Epic Doom is my other favorite, but it's not a very active style anymore. I don't listen to much outside of the above. I like some classic Heavy Metal bands and modern ones that do the style well. Thrash is my least favorite sub-genre outside of some some big names and a few Christian bands.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Dustofyears, Sevenoneself and Snakes & Metal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:39 pm

For all 3 of those genres, I really only like the more melodic examples (like Adorned Graves or Tourniquet for thrash, Antestor or Epta Astera for black, and Hilastherion for death). My favorite of the three in general is probably thrash
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:51 pm

Yeah I was watching the Notre Dame vs. Louisville game and Louisville was the underdog, but this guy named "Thrash" kept making all these tough catches, keeping them in the game, and eventually Louisville won the game.  Then I thought "I wonder if this guy has his jersey picture on-line" and after much searching I found the one and only pic of the back of his jersey and thought you guys would dig it.

So, yeah, Thrash >> Notre Dame
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Sevenoneself and Snakes & Metal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:09 pm

Black Metal, Death Metal, Thrash, from favorite to least favorite, but I like them all.

I feel like I've been largely dissatisfied with Christian releases the past few years, mostly due to production.  

There's new secular black metal releases that frequently have an old and cold sound, and more traditional sonics for the genre.  Meanwhile the Christian scene still polishes their releases so much, it sounds like they used the same studio as contemporary or pop artists.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Drawnsword, CrimsonWarrior, Frozen Fire, Pethead, Ammocas, Dustofyears and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:11 pm

I’ve never really understood the appeal of “raw” production in black metal. In my opinion it, like all other genres, sounds best with high-quality production. As long as it isn’t over-produced to the point of sounding artificial (that also goes for any genre)
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:41 pm

I don't really have a favorite, it depends on my mood.
However I will always prefer classic metal or USPM over these.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Superjuice, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:36 pm

seth wrote:I’ve never really understood the appeal of “raw” production in black metal. In my opinion it, like all other genres, sounds best with high-quality production. As long as it isn’t over-produced to the point of sounding artificial (that also goes for any genre)

Yeah, I'm not grim, brootal or kvlt enough. I like beautiful atmospheric Black Metal.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Kerrick, Pethead, Dustofyears, Sevenoneself and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:07 pm

Tend to lean somewhere between that thrash one step away from death metal style and death metal/doom. Am super fussy though with every genre and only enjoy a big handful from each genre of metal, usually the top shelf stuff too.

Sort of like that with bands too and tend to like albums rather than bands if that makes sense, like Mortifications first five and Deicide's first three etc so on and so forth and don't buy stuff like a completest (bar a few bands). Am a fuss pot.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Sevenoneself, Snakes & Metal and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:35 pm

Son of Nun wrote:Death Metal > Doom Metal > Black Metal > Heavy/Trad Metal > Thrash

Death Metal is my favorite sub-genre today. It's very active and diverse. I think Death Metal has reached a place where it's become as artistically diverse as Black Metal. Some Black Metal can reach really transcendent heights which boosts it overall for me, but Death Metal is now doing that as well. Trad/Epic Doom is my other favorite, but it's not a very active style anymore. I don't listen to much outside of the above. I like some classic Heavy Metal bands and modern ones that do the style well. Thrash is my least favorite sub-genre outside of some some big names and a few Christian bands.
So many branches of Deathmetal now like black metal. Most modern Deathmetal I find hard to get into like the drummers are more triggered than guns in a war and the tech stuff like Obscura is all  notes and soulless and all the guts ripped out of it, to my ears anyway. And let's not even start with deathcore!!!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime, Sevenoneself, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:03 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
Son of Nun wrote:Death Metal > Doom Metal > Black Metal > Heavy/Trad Metal > Thrash

So many branches of Deathmetal now like black metal. Most modern Deathmetal I find hard to get into like the drummers are more triggered than guns in a war and the tech stuff like Obscura is all  notes and soulless and all the guts ripped out of it, to my ears anyway. And let's not even start with deathcore!!!
Any genres that end with “core” tend to be bad (although for me there’s one exception, the “symphonic deathcore” band A Secret Ending)
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead, MagnusPrime, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:33 pm

There is something so enticing to me about lo-fi black metal and I wouldn't have it any other way. I would never want a remastered version of The Return of the Black Death, for example. It has such a great grittiness to its sound that would be totally lost with sleek production. I feel the same way about some other releases too, like Dormant's one EP, and all of Vaakevandring.

That's not to say that high-production black metal is always bad. Sometimes it fits. I like having both options.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

ThomasEversole, Pethead, Sevenoneself, Snakes & Metal and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakes & Metal Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:03 am

New to the boards and late to this conversation, but figured I’d chime in. I like all 3 genres, but for me the order would definitely be: death metal, thrash, black metal. I got into thrash metal first, but found death metal in the early 90’s and have been hooked ever since. I especially love the first and second waves. Basically everything from ‘87 - ‘96ish is kind of the “golden age” for me.
Snakes & Metal
Snakes & Metal
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider, Temple of Blood, Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next