The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EXTOL re-union at Furnace Fest

+6
Kerrick
Frozen Fire
Son of Nun
TZ75
Pethead
jaydeecrawson
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

EXTOL re-union at Furnace Fest Empty EXTOL re-union at Furnace Fest

Post by jaydeecrawson Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:26 pm

Anyone from here going to see Extol in Sept in Birmingham?

Also, anyone else know the scoop or have a theory about why Peter Espevoll isn't going to sing at the show?

Not trying to sir up controversy or rumors, I genuinely just want to know and see if you guys have any details or ideas about it all....

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

EXTOL re-union at Furnace Fest Empty Re: EXTOL re-union at Furnace Fest

Post by jaydeecrawson Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:57 pm

this Extol reunion is kind of a big deal and none of you guys are going and don't have any comments or details about it?

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:26 pm

If they make a new album, I’ll check it out.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:44 pm

I vaguely remember an interview (I think it was Peter) where he had a certain change of thinking. I’m not sure if he had a different spiritual belief or whatever. 

I tried to find an article about it, but nothing came up (except that he had a stress/anxiety related breakdown at some point). 

Also he has a new project called Hrada.

Last edited by TZ75 on Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:49 pm

Peter has gone far to the left theologically last I heard in an interview with him.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:50 pm

Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:34 pm

I'd be interested in the show but I'm a long way from Birmingham.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:26 pm

Peter had an extreme mental/emotional breakdown in the late 2000's and this was the primary reason the band couldn't continue on after The Blueprint Dives. He had extreme social anxiety, stagefright and a paralyzing fear of flying. He was able to do the self-titled but they couldn't tour because of it. (All documented in their documentary "Of Light and Shade) It has been 10yrs but maybe it still isn't possible for him to tour and be on stage like this?

I would definitely worry about any lyrics Peter would contribute to a new album. Given Azusa's secular bend (Christen and David's project) it seems the only one pursuing something more faith based is Ole. Interestingly Elisha Mullins is super solid with his lyrics in the projects he's taken part in, particularly The Burial and Flesh Killer (w/ Ole).
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Black Rider, Pethead, TZ75 and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:04 pm

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:21 pm

Chemical imbalance and panic attacks can happen anytime in life. Usually bottled up or unresolved trauma from a person’s past can trigger it. The human brain is powerful and very complicated.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:22 pm

I started having panic attacks in college. I feel for anyone who has these. They’re horrible.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:23 am

Pethead wrote:I started having panic attacks in college. I feel for anyone who has these. They’re horrible.

I had terrible ones in my early 30’s. The first one was very scary! They mimic symptoms of a heart attack.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:05 am

jaydeecrawson wrote:this Extol reunion is kind of a big deal and none of you guys are going and don't have any comments or details about it?

I know this is Christian extreme metal heresy, but I never could get into Extol.  I love some of their side-projects like Lengsel and Schaliach, but Extol just never clicked with me.   pale

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:06 am

Kerrick wrote:
jaydeecrawson wrote:this Extol reunion is kind of a big deal and none of you guys are going and don't have any comments or details about it?

I know this is Christian extreme metal heresy, but I never could get into Extol.  I love some of their side-projects like Lengsel and Schaliach, but Extol just never clicked with me.   pale
I’m only a casual fan, mainly because of Undeceived.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:39 am

I haven't gotten really into Extol. I like the self-titled a lot and I enjoy some of Burial (feeling it might click soon), but that's it. Wish I enjoyed their catalogue more.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:07 pm

I never got into Extol the way I did early Tourniquet for example.
That said, I have all their stuff because I know it's quality product.
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:36 pm

I was a moderate fan in 1998. The first album is good! 

I was fortunate to see them play in a small coffee shop. It was amusing to see them doing the hair windmills on such a small stage! LOL

In the late 90’s, there was still a thriving Christian rock scene. I also spent time at small clubs watching: EDL (Every Day Life), Stavesacre, Training For Utopia, Project 86, NIV (No Innocent Victim), OIL, Titanic and of coarse Tourniquet (I’m very thankful for the few times I caught their shows). 

I’m missing some… but those are the majority. Keep in mind that metal was still a dirty word for some people back then. Most bands were doing a “hard alternative” sound or the metallic hardcore trend similar to Living Sacrifice’s Reborn album.

Unfortunately I never got to see Mortification. I did attend the Crucified’s reunion show! But it wasn’t the same as their younger high energy heyday that I’ve seen on video. I could tell the only guy truly still into it and still loved metal was Jim Chaffin. The others seemed to go through the motions. But overall, It was better than nothing!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:34 pm

when you say "left" theologically do you mean like Bishop Spong, Marcus Borg, Brian McLaren, Nadia Bolz Webber style? like that? Jay Bakker style?

I'd like to know more about it is why I'm asking. seriously not trying to stir stuff up. I just wanna know if that's where he is now and how his views evolved in that way

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:51 pm

jaydeecrawson wrote:when you say "left" theologically do you mean like Bishop Spong, Marcus Borg, Brian McLaren, Nadia Bolz Webber style? like that? Jay Bakker style?

I'd like to know more about it is why I'm asking. seriously not trying to stir stuff up. I just wanna know if that's where he is now and how his views evolved in that way
I'd listen to that interview that was shared in the thread I linked to. He's not real clear on his positions.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:12 pm

Oh okay. I will! thanks fellas

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:09 pm

I loved Burial and Undeceived back in the day.  The later stuff was fine but was forgettable for me.  I saw Extol a couple times live with the windmill hair headbanging and it was great, but I don't feel enough need to see them again (probably without hair).  If I lived in the South I'd go, but it's a long way to go from Los Angeles when I'm married with 4 kids and 3 businesses to run.  Even though there are lots of bands I'd love to see at Furnace Fest.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:44 pm

Also, I listened to the interview with Peter and I didn't hear anything "left" about it.  He basically just said he re-evaluated everything and came out still a Christian, but with a bigger view of God.  That's it.  You can read "left" because he expressed an inability to understand how Christianity in America got tangled up with conservative politics and racism, but that's not a left position.  That's just a biblical Christian understanding, outside of politics.  Christ very clearly taught and died showing that the Kingdom of God is far beyond all earthly politics, so the same entanglement with right-wing politics should grieve and mystify all believers who aren't actually just cultural followers.  As should any entanglement in left-wing politics.

I heard nothing political or non-Christian in what Peter said.  On the contrary.  So let's not spread false information.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:00 pm

From what I remember of the interview, I agreed with some of his points regarding politics, but he made some very problematic statements theologically.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:57 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:Also, I listened to the interview with Peter and I didn't hear anything "left" about it.  He basically just said he re-evaluated everything and came out still a Christian, but with a bigger view of God.  That's it.  You can read "left" because he expressed an inability to understand how Christianity in America got tangled up with conservative politics and racism, but that's not a left position.  That's just a biblical Christian understanding, outside of politics.  Christ very clearly taught and died showing that the Kingdom of God is far beyond all earthly politics, so the same entanglement with right-wing politics should grieve and mystify all believers who aren't actually just cultural followers.  As should any entanglement in left-wing politics.

I heard nothing political or non-Christian in what Peter said.  On the contrary.  So let's not spread false information.

For some context, from 36:45 to 38:30 in the interview, a full statement related to his faith:

"I basically, you know, tore down everything theologically. Things didn't really make so much sense to me anymore somehow. But the thing is, when I say this to Christians they usually get sad and "Oh you're not a Christian anymore." I think I am, if that's fine with you. To be honest I feel much more in a place where I want to be now than I was 15, 10, 5 years ago. Yeah, my worldview, in my opinion, my God has become much, much, much bigger than he or she or it used to be. That may provoke a lot of Christians and that's okay. I need to be true to myself. I hope people can just tolerate and respect people's journeys. If you have to go around and be false to yourself and don't even to ask these questions and try to find the answers then maybe you are being false to yourself. At least for me, I have to take this journey. I feel I am at a very good place in my life with myself and with the universe."

Personally, I was never trying to demonize the man. I intended in the other thread to let people listen to form their own opinions about what he said. That said, personally, I still think some of these statements above are concerning on the theological end.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Pethead and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:45 pm

I completely agree with Peter that the intertwining of Christianity with certain forms of politics is a serious problem. I’ve lamented that for the 20ish years I’ve been a believer. But the statement that FF posted above is clearly problematic from a biblical standpoint.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next