The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which big thrash band fell the furtherest in quality?

+5
Dustofyears
MagnusPrime
Black Rider
Constantine
Pethead
9 posters

Go down

Which big thrash band fell the furtherest in quality?  Empty Which big thrash band fell the furtherest in quality?

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:23 am

I’m thinking specifically of the big 4, but any well-known thrash band would count. 

Speaking just of the big 4, on my first instinct, I’d say Metallica. But I’m torn. They certainly took a remarkable nosedive from which they’d never recovered. But I don’t think the Loads are nearly as terrible as Stomp 442 or Vol. 8. That being said, St. Canker Sore is an abomination. And Anthrax managed to come back with Worship Music and For All Kings, both of which blow away Death Magnetic and Hardwired (and I like those two Metallica albums).

On the other hand, it seems that Slayer stayed pretty consistent—even DiM still sounds like Slayer. But since they let Kerry King write more and be jettisoned all the lyrical progress he had made in the late 80s/early 90s, I haven’t spun any of their stuff past DiM.

Megadeth has been pretty consistently decent. I would argue that they had only one bad album (Risk). Some of their other 90s stuff is stylistically a departure, but it’s still quality stuff. 

So, when it comes to the big 4, I think Metallica and Anthrax fell the hardest, but Anthrax managed to come back recently.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Machine Fish, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Which big thrash band fell the furtherest in quality?  Empty Re: Which big thrash band fell the furtherest in quality?

Post by Constantine Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:56 pm

I honestly don't know what Metallica are thinking when they release some of these poorly recorded, poorly thought out albums like St. Elsewhere or Hulu or even Death Pathetic.  Are they trying to earn street cred by being lo-fi?  Are they trying to be a punk band?  Are they thumbing their noses at the public?  Are they just lazy?   I'm not sure what's going on there.

IMO they are not a band that has the kind of creative longevity that should have allowed them to go on for this long.
Even that new song is like a shameless attempt to recapture their early days, but it really doesn't.

At least bands like Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Testament, etc. have been generally consistent in terms of their output, with a few missteps along the way.  They don't take any major chances with their formula, but as long as they don't mind playing the same stuff over and over, at least they do it fairly well.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Temple of Blood, Pethead, Opeth3232 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Which big thrash band fell the furtherest in quality?  Empty Re: Which big thrash band fell the furtherest in quality?

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:06 pm

What I don’t understand is how a band who released such incredible albums like Metallica did could then fall so far.

At least they’re still fun live.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:24 pm

Metallica had the Mustaine influence up until the Black album, after that, they seem to have made a concerted effort to not be influenced by him.  They definitely fell the farthest and haven't totally recovered.

Last edited by Black Rider on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:28 pm

Black Rider wrote:Metallica had the Mustache influence up until the Black album, after that, they seem to have made a concerted effort to not be influenced by him.  They definitely fell the farthest and haven't totally recovered.
Probably because mustaches weren’t as popular in the 90s, unless you were Tom Selleck.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:33 pm

Controversial opinion:

I don’t really think Overkill is all that exciting after Horrorscope. They have their moments and they’re pretty consistent, but I don’t find much of their post-Horrorscope songwriting to be that compelling.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood, Opeth3232 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:39 pm

I hate autocorrect 😃
And you're as wrong about Overkill as you are on ABBA.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, the Ceiling and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:05 pm

Pethead wrote:Controversial opinion:

I don’t really think Overkill is all that exciting after Horrorscope. They have their moments and they’re pretty consistent, but I don’t find much of their post-Horrorscope songwriting to be that compelling.
The later song-writing is not that compelling but they are incredibly good live.  They go through a lot of guitar players, but for the most part they all seem to be exceptional.  And the rest of the band is incredibly tight.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:09 pm

Constantine wrote:
Pethead wrote:Controversial opinion:

The later song-writing is not that compelling but they are incredibly good live.  They go through a lot of guitar players, but for the most part they all seem to be exceptional.  And the rest of the band is incredibly tight.
I don’t doubt that. I’d LOVE to see them live. 

But at home, I’ll stick to their first 5 albums.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:50 pm

Black Rider wrote:I hate autocorrect 😃
And you're as wrong about Overkill as you are on ABBA.
ABBA>Overkill>The Brave’s Gravedigger
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:18 pm

Most of the thrash bands from the original era have experimented to varying degrees, but I think St. Anger and Stomp 442 are perhaps the two biggest artistic flops. 

Metallica got so big, they didn't fit anywhere anymore. St. Anger was a direct result of - as well as a reaction to - their commercial success and the insane level of overexposure that came with it. They also tried too hard to "be hard" for the times and it was just a disaster. Despite the horrid mixing/mastering job on Death Magnetic, the last two albums have been pretty good musically. I don't think they'll ever top their first 5 though.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:29 pm

I like a lot of Stomp, Random Acts of Violence, Riding Shotgun and American Pompeii rip. The production is rough and it's not their best but it's decent. I like it more than Vol 8.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:32 pm

Annihilator started out great then pooped the bed with Set The World On Fire.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:32 pm

I prefer Vol 8 by a hair because it’s a little less monotonous. I wouldn’t pay to own either, though.

I actually enjoy some of WCfYA.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:38 pm

It's a good album too imo.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:39 pm

I like Fueled from Stomp 442. Drop The Ball and Tester have some good riffs. 

Volume 8 was better than Stomp. 

We've Come For You All is a good one. Way better than Stomp or Volume 8.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:44 pm

Black Rider wrote:Annihilator started out great then pooped the bed with Set The World On Fire.

They changed the sheets and got a new mattress with Criteria For A Black Widow.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, the Ceiling and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:14 am

Metallica climbed to the top of the mountain and they are probably the most well known band in the world today. They conquered everyone and everything that is metal. And they aren't even my favorite metal band, but no one can dispute it. Fact's a fact.

In terms of success they've never fallen. In terms of finance, never fallen. In terms of being popular, never, in terms of staying true to thrash... well, they fell from that mountain peak hard from the black album onward (though in my opinion still wrote some good stuff).

Slayer got old and boring after a while.

Anthrax I have never liked.

Megadeth followed Metallica's shadow and trend setting, but the last few releases have seen a comeback to their thrash roots. No surprises.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:42 am

You think Megadeth followed Metallica's shadow? Crazy. Dave taught Metallica how to play and when they veered away from it is when they started to lose the plot. If popularity is the measure then Britney Spears was a great artist. Lol
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:05 am

Metallica  \thread
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead, mothy, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianDeathMetal Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:29 pm

It's a tossup between Metallica and Believer
ChristianDeathMetal
ChristianDeathMetal
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

https://www.facebook.com/christiandeathmetallittlelist

Black Rider, Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:05 pm

Mehtallica. I just don't like Pop thrash
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:11 pm

As a thrash band, I feel Soul Asylum took a big step-down and squelched it's potential.

Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:13 pm

Actually, Living Sacrifice fell pretty far. Not that their other stuff is bad at all, but that they ruined their chance to really be the Christian version of Slayer.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down