The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dale and Troy Thompson do King's X

4 posters

Go down

Dale and Troy Thompson do King's X Empty Dale and Troy Thompson do King's X

Post by Dustofyears Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:08 pm

Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Dale and Troy Thompson do King's X Empty Re: Dale and Troy Thompson do King's X

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:36 am

Not bad but can't touch the original.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:21 pm

Nothing can beat the original. Can't get into Dale's voice anymore, even the early stuff. Guess I'm getting old. There is a woman who does King's X covers On YouTube with just her and her guitar- she's done Summerland, everywhere I go and a few others. She's one of the best King's X cover artists I have heard. The band should get her to open up for them and warm up the crowd with some solo singing and guitar stuff.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:20 pm

That'd be cool. Can you post a link?
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm

Here she is. Jeanine Heirani Her tone and soulful voice is beautiful. There are quite a few others she does on her channel under Covers- Kings X playlist.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:55 pm

And apparently Dug Posted this Rendition of Summerland on his own page too.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:34 pm

Love that tone, thanks.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:18 pm

The only double-necked guitar I have ever played was that exact Jimmy Page Ephiphone model! Unfortunately, my cousin sold it so I have no access anymore.

Was it my audio glitching or were the drums noticeably latent?

We've all been pretty critical so far. I'm no different; I prefer the original. And if I was to cover King's X, this song would be pretty far down the list of candidates. 

However...it's great seeing bands pay homage to other bands, and King's X music deserves to get more circulation. I've often thought many of their songs would benefit from being re-arranged and even expanded (similar to many Phil Keaggy albums that seemed almost like demo tapes).  And it's great to see Dale and Troy draw our attentions back to Jesus through a song that you could interpret numerous ways (interestingly, Phil Keaggy also does this in quite a few songs).

I'm enjoying the two  Jeanine Heirani songs posted here. Both choices are favourites of mine, and her renditions are beautiful!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:58 am

Sevenoneself wrote:The only double-necked guitar I have ever played was that exact Jimmy Page Ephiphone model! Unfortunately, my cousin sold it so I have no access anymore.

Was it my audio glitching or were the drums noticeably latent?

We've all been pretty critical so far. I'm no different; I prefer the original. And if I was to cover King's X, this song would be pretty far down the list of candidates. 

However...it's great seeing bands pay homage to other bands, and King's X music deserves to get more circulation. I've often thought many of their songs would benefit from being re-arranged and even expanded (similar to many Phil Keaggy albums that seemed almost like demo tapes).  And it's great to see Dale and Troy draw our attentions back to Jesus through a song that you could interpret numerous ways (interestingly, Phil Keaggy also does this in quite a few songs).

I'm enjoying the two  Jeanine Heirani songs posted here. Both choices are favourites of mine, and her renditions are beautiful!
In all truth, it's pretty bad IMO. Sorry Dale And Troy. But nice seeing them tribute a king's X song. Glad you enjoy Jeanine. Her tone is deep and full and soulful.

As of next year, I am going to try not to say negative things about people's creative output online, even if I don't like it. But it's not next year yet so I can still cram a few in.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:31 am

Not being familiar with the original, I can only grade this on what I am hearing.  The drums, being programmed, seem to be lagging behind the rest of the music.  Dale's vocal tone is too harsh to fit this song.  When you add the extra layers of backing vocals, it causes ear fatigue quickly.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Black Rider, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:25 pm

alldatndensum wrote:Not being familiar with the original, I can only grade this on what I am hearing.  The drums, being programmed, seem to be lagging behind the rest of the music.  Dale's vocal tone is too harsh to fit this song.  When you add the extra layers of backing vocals, it causes ear fatigue quickly.
Yeah spot on.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down