The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 20 of 2021

+2
Pethead
Frozen Fire
6 posters

Go down

Top 20 of 2021 Empty Top 20 of 2021

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:13 pm

I've always enjoyed this. I typed up my thoughts on the albums I put on the list. I don't share a lot in common with favored styles as many here but why not give an explanation? Smile

I'll repost just the list when someone starts the more traditional list thread.

1. Crowned in Sorrow - In Memoriam

Doom/Death was always one of my favorite styles in the secular world. It was never a surprise to have Evoken, Esoteric, November’s Doom or Mourning Beloveth at or near the top of my year end list. The crushing weight of the music, the heavy atmosphere and the brutality of the vocals were and are captivating. Never would I have thought a Christian album would hit all those marks. Derek absolutely nailed the style with a mixture of Anathema “The Silent Enigma” grandeur and Opeth’s quiet, contemplative guitar solos and acoustic/piano interludes/instrumental breaks. I love Blood Thirsty (Derek’s death metal project) and would have wanted more music in that style but this is better than I imagined. The songs Far Beyond Death, Blue to Gray and Only Memories have been blasted out of my speakers and screamed, sung from my lungs more than most any other set of songs in recent years. This album will be legendary in my world for years to come.

2. Pantokrator - Marching Out of Babylon

Love this band but they’ve suffered from claustrophobic production on Aurum and poor mix on Incarnate (buried guitar solos and leads). This album doesn’t have either problem. It is aggressive, melodic, both visceral and beautiful. The title track has become a favorite and is lyrically is an anthem for our disturbing times. The last cheek is one of the most striking exaltations of the supremacy of Christ and His divine wrath I may ever hear in song. The band has sky-rocketed up my list of favorites with this album. With my kids still regularly requesting Phoenix Rising, I’ll be listening to this years on. It is quite the feet to have kids under 10 asking for death metal songs, a testimony to how catchy this album is.

3. Dens - Tamed Tongues

Not metal fare. The band is post-hardcore but, even more out of place, these are acoustic renditions of their 2020 release, Taming Tongues. Captivating and in many cases better than the originals, I’ve listened to this album too many times to count. My oldest son chose the song “To” as the first song to learn to play on the guitar (It’s quite simple). The original was top five 2020, so this is no surprise. Usually I wouldn't even bother putting something like this on the list but I did anyway. 

4. Reflection of Glory - Escape the Dream

If I can put this in my top 5 and still say I don’t love Barry’s vocals on all the tracks, it is saying something about the quality of the songs. This is a songwriting tour de force. The guitars have a monster tone, the orchestrations are beautiful, the melodies amazing and the mix flawless. This is definitely a big surprise for me. Holy War and The Curse Within My Blood is one of my favorite 1-2 punch song combinations I’ve heard over the past few years. I also need to say, lyrically this album is so wonderful! The gospel is exalted continually and beautifully.

5. War of Ages - Rhema

Love this band. They have gotten better and better as the years have gone on. Technical, progressive death metal/metalcore. They blur the lines of genres so well but remain both top-tier musicians and grade A songwriters. I wish this weren’t an EP. I’m hoping for more in 2022.

6. Phinehas - The Fire Itself

An amazing metalcore release, probably three years after I stopped really looking for and picking up metalcore releases. I love this band! The some of the best musicians in anything I listen to. Their songs are tight, aggressive and melodic. They can be ferocious, laying out southern grooves in one song, traditional metal riffs in another and those expected breakdowns (something I ordinarily dislike) in others. Every song has a killer chorus and ripping guitar solo. They just do it right. Always loved their sound and worried, with the guitar player joining up with Fit For A King and a long hiatus, that maybe they were done. So glad they’ve come back and with my second favorite release across their catalogue and best in years.

7. Dire - Volume II

A big surprise for me. A modern metal band in some ways. Big, chunky riffs throughout, stellar guitar solos and a more barked/shouted style of vocal with the straight metal vocals sounding like John Cooper from Skillet. Musically they bear some similarity to Demon Hunter but not much. I actually think they are doing their own thing. I find it hard to believe this band isn’t signed but being different sometimes doesn’t entice labels wanting something in a particular mold.

8. Warpriest - Dark Ages

Addictive. Classic. This album is pure fun! I don’t mean that to speak of the subject matter of the songs as there are heavy topics covered on this album. I mean it to say it’s got every classic doom metal quality wrapped up into one fuzzed out, chunky doom album. The male vocals come out of the Lee Dorian (Cathedral) and Mark Shelton (Manilla Road) school, rhythmic in gate, unique in character. The female vocals are just perfect, no modifier needed. Some of my favorite elements are the twists in the songwriting in the midst of songs where the pace picks up, the outstanding bass tone and The Who like bass work rising to the top (on the title track it reminds me of The Real Me), and the choices in the interesting drum patterns that can take familiar riffs but add something fresh to make it sound new and different just the same. I have to say, as I’ve said before, I love the production as well. 

9. Northern Flame - Twisted Reality

This album got a lot of interesting opinions thrown toward it early in the year. Hearing the album, I didn’t have one issue with anything anyone mentioned. The songs are well written, the production is flawless. Some of this tracks are absolutely fantastic! Sanctification of the World is a nice barn-burner, Heaven and Hell has a classic slow build and is one of my favorite tracks of the year and Paradise is a perfect ending to a stellar Euro-power metal album. Not it’s not the old band but Glimpse of Hope is truly from songs written 10-15 years prior to its release. I’m actually the crazy person that likes this better.

10. Anima Mortuum - The Throne

Zvi, the artist behind this, is getting better and better with this project. A ferocious, diverse blackened death metal release. It has a gnarly guitar tone. It’s grimy and dirty but the production is clear while simultaneously crackling with raw energy. Listened to this a lot this year. Still wish the choruses stood out more but the riffs are stellar enough to still pull me in.

11. Shadows of Paragon - Amendment

Yes. The lyrics and the commentaries have been questioned, mulled over here on the board. 95% of them are amazing, bold proclamations of gospel truth. Yes. The snare drum sounds poor. The songs? The ferocity? It’s outstanding. Musically this was worth the 12 year wait. Setting aside all other qualms I really do enjoy this album.

12. Irgalom - Pools of Water

My favorite of the band’s two releases this year. Gergely captured an atmosphere on this release he hasn’t on any other and the songwriting is more memorable than ever. I think he nailed this album.

Interestingly, I actually have struggled with both of the Irgalom releases this year because, though I thoroughly enjoy both they somehow sound terrible in the car stereo (the primary place I listen). Not sure what the deal is with the production but the high end kills me in the car. With headphones and on the computer it’s not nearly the same. I don’t mind traditional rraw black metal production but I wish this had the production value of his Meditate albums.

13. Dawnbreaker - Ad Majorem Die Gloriam 

Loved Vanquished Horrible Night! That was a huge surprise last year and I played that album constantly. It actually gave me a much better appreciation for the older material as well. Now, with this album, the production value has been cranked up tremendously, the musicianship gone further, the symphonic elements expanded and the songs grown even more complex. Yet, it’s not as cohesive. Though I love individual songs, it feels really disjointed as a listen. Where VHN was an adventure and a journey to listen to, this comes across more like a project. I actually think that is more in my head than a reality but I haven’t been able to get over it. In the future I may regret putting this so low on my list.

14. Brotality - Worldwide Desolation

The fun album of the lot. Some fantastic tunes throughout, top notch musicianship and some lively spirit runs the length of the album. Some songs just absolutely crush (Salting the Wound, Prisoners of the Abyss, Legion Falls), a few pass by without much impact (Empty Existence, Spiral Out), and one in particular suffers from an oddly repetitive, unimaginative middle section I chalk up to youthful zeal and a vision not captured (I Am Fire, I Am Death). I really enjoy the album and though I’m not huge on everything, in all cases, these boys are doing things right and are fantastic talents. I’m hoping for future greatness. They’re definitely headed there with this.

15. Theoptia - Undead gods

A quirky, progressive, groovy death metal release. Someone brought this band up on the board and I picked this up and the debut late in the year. I really enjoy this album! It will rise as I give it more time. At times it reminds me of some of the more modern tracks on Azorrague’s last album. Beyond that, I don’t have, nor have I heard anything that sounds like this band. The lyrical issues taken on are straight shots at major modern theological errors in the church. It would be bound to offend many if it were a popular release. Smile

16. Neal Morse Band - Innocence and Danger

Another solid release from Neal. I stepped away from his music for years because I couldn’t reconcile his theological views (a topic for some other thread). Yet, I have returned. That aforementioned issue doesn’t come up in the lyrics at all and truly some of his recent work has been his best by a large margin. Adding Eric Gillette as a vocalist, guitarist, writing partner has been a stroke of genius. The man is a unique talent, a prize and life-giving insertion into the Neal Morse formula. That said, this album ultimately didn’t come together for me like I wanted. Spiritually there isn’t much to say either, though the track Beyond the Years has both a great message and is a classic epic. One of his best songs ever. It’s bookended on the fron end by Do It All Again that is also way up there.

17. Irgalom - A Great Light

The lesser of a pair of Irgalom albums this year. Initially this made the bigger impact. Whiter than Snow is a fantastic lead off track. The Rod of the Wicked is stellar. It’s a good album but it doesn’t flow like Pools of Water and I have not gone back to this. It suffers the same fate in the car and that has limited its impact for me.

18. Elgibbor - Corruptus Vindicta

What can I say of this? I’ve always had a love hate relationship with the band. Imminent Invasion was an early Christian Black Metal favorite for me. Across the the broad spectrum the inconsistency of the project and the production have always thrown me off. Interestingly, with a full-time band and consistent production the album came out far more one dimensional than the usual material. Color me disappointed. It’s still good but not the epic return I imagined or the “finally, an album worth the legacy” I hoped for.

19. Nadarkhani - Divine Transcendance Supremacy

The guys from Cerimonial Sacred doing something more stripped back with no symphonic elements. With only three tracks how high could it have been? Great start to hopefully something more expansive.

20. Demon Hunter - Songs of Death and Resurrection

Love Demon Hunter and always support them, buying the deluxe packages of their material. Yet, most of these acoustic renditions, though initially intriguing have ended up on the cutting room floor for me. Some of the tracks got worse and a few that I like better weren’t really my favorite tracks to begin with. 
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

deathisgain, Kerrick, Constantine and zep like this post

Back to top Go down

Top 20 of 2021 Empty Re: Top 20 of 2021

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:23 pm

I didn’t buy nearly enough for a top 20, so here’s a top 5:

1. The Brave: Evie’s Little Garden 

This blew me away. Fantastic melodic hard rock with no weak tracks.

2. Trytan: Blood of Kings

Fantastic prog rock/metal with great lyrics. 

3. Thee Final Chaptre: So Let It Be Done

Excellent USPM!

4. Angel 7: Victory 

Such a cool sound with Christ-exalting lyrics. 

5. Brotality: Worldwide Desolation 

Super impressive musicianship and lyrics. I like the variety of influences they bring to their sound and I really can’t wait to see where they go from here.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Temple of Blood, Kerrick, Frozen Fire, mothy and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:14 am

1.  THE BRAVE - Evie's Little Garden - Brilliant return to form for this band.

2. Night Ranger - ABP80 - Great album from a veteran band! This feel like classic Night Ranger to me.

3.  All For The King - Let There Be Light  - Just heard it was out not long ago and got it.  Loved it!

4. Darkhorse Hero - Living For A Bigger Kingdom - Awesome lyrics and catchy songs!

5.  Chariot - History Lesson - Great collection of material from a classic band that disappeared before the world got to hear them.  Much better sound quality than the new Latter Reign project, thankfully!

6.  Weapons Of God - The War Between Us - The debut was kind of hit and miss.  On this one, they got their sound perfected.  I like that they have a baritone singer and they don't sound like everyone else.

7.  Thee Final Chaptre - So Let It Be Done  Great metal album!  It would have ranked higher if not for the 9 minute song.

8.  Galeforce - Subhuman - This could easily have been Barren Cross 2.0 to me as it returns Mike to a sound more akin to the first two BC albums!

9.  Swingle & Thomson - Firestorm - It has some classic metal moments mixed with some quirky chord changes more akin to some early punk.  Still, the quirkiness made it fun for me.

10.  Modest Attraction - Get Ready (reissue) - Brilliant bluesy hard rock with a Deep Purple feel while having their own sound.  I love the message, too.

11.  Christian Lilgegren - Melodic Passion - It's Christian from Narnia AGAIN.  What isn't to love?

12.  Moonshine Zombies - I loved the Killed By Cain album.  I always wanted a follow up that never came.  We were teased a reunion, but it became only a partial one thus the name change.  It's metal; it's bluesy; it's doomy.....it is a lot of things but still works.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Frozen Fire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:19 pm

I only bought 3

1. Pantokrator -- Marching out of Babylon
This band has been very hit and miss for me, and honestly before al the hype on this I was kind of giving up on them after I didn't really love Incarnate. But this is just about perfect. So, SO good.

2. Phinehas -- The Fire Itself
The genre is a little played out for sure, but this is about as well as I've heard it done, ever. I'm sure it can and will be topped, and I'll be very interested to hear how. Outstanding.

3. Crowned in Sorrow -- In Memorium
Derek is for sure awesome and crazy talented, and I really love death/doom. Maybe I'm still one listen away from loving it, but I've given it several tries and it just hasn't clicked for me.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:26 am

Christian Top 10 Favorites of 2021:

1.  The Brave - Evie's Little Garden

Outstanding album from this veteran melodic metal / hard rock band. Overall I think it's their best one yet.

2.  Thee Final Chaptre - So Let It Be Done

Surprise of the year for me.  U.S. power metal with plenty of 80's riffs.  They've come a long way since their E.P.

3.  Crowned In Sorrow - In Memoriam

Death-doom is not my favorite genre, but this was one of the best albums I've heard in that space.

4.  Miss Angie - Desert Flags E.P.

Not metal but this was a nice surprise come-back release from the 90's alt-rock gal who gave us "100 Million Eyeballs."

5.  Nick Leonard - Revelation

Gothic Doom metal par excellence, based entirely on the Book Of Revelation.

6.  O.L.T.A.S. - Illusion Of Control E.P.

Doom / Death / Post-Metal from the Netherlands.  Simple but powerful song structures.

7.  All For The King - Let There Be Light

Best album yet from this Swedish hard rock / melodic rock band.  A mixture of modern rock, 80's metal, 90's grunge, and melodic rock ala Journey.

8.  Angel 7 - Victory

Best album yet from this Ukrainian band whose style is a mixture of folk metal, melodic death metal, power-thrash, and a touch of those Iron Maiden style intricate melodies.  This album is very similar to past albums but has more folk metal and melodic touches.

9.  Demon Hunter - Songs of Death and Resurrection

I'm not normally a Demon Hunter fan, but this album of acoustic renderings of some of their most popular songs was well-down and very pleasant to listen to without all that full-throttle screaming.

10.  Light Unseen - I've Seen Them Fall 2-song single 

Brutal death-thrash, a taste of what is to come from "Visions of Archetype and Apocalypse," to be released sometime in 2022 on Rottweiler Records.

Honorable Mention:

11.  Perpetual Paranoia - Hell Fest

The songs can meander and get repetitive, but that guitar tone and those crunchy riffs are a joy to listen to. 

12.  Evcharist - Testament In Blood

Orthodox blackened death metal from Texas that sounds very similar to Angel 7, only faster.

Secular Top 10 9 Favorites of 2021:

1.  Tommy Castro - Presents A Bluesman Comes To Town  (American blues / R&B)
2.  Gojira - Fortitude  (heavy prog. metal)
3.  The Cold Stares - Heavy Shoes   (American blues rock)
4.  The Black Keys - Delta Kream  (Mississippi Hill country blues rock)
5.  Julian Lage - Squint   (Jazz guitar instrumentals)
6.  Orrin Evans - The Magic Of Now  (great smokey jazz)
7.  Axe Witch - Out Of The Ashes Into The Fire  (comeback album from classic Swedish 80's metal band)
8.  Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World  (heavy prog. metal)
9.  Robin Trower, Maxi Priest, & Livingston Brown - United State Of Mind

Last edited by Constantine on Mon May 30, 2022 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:41 pm

I'll follow your lead and say a few words to my choices then Smile

1. Edu Falaschi - Vera Cruz

Absolutely fantastic piece of Brazilian progressive power metal, including the samba rhythms. A bit like Angra during Rebirth and Temple of Shadows (of course), but a bit more uptempo metal and less soft parts.

2. Nahtram - Forest of Eternal Dawn

An instrumental metal album with folky and orchestral flourishes. No leaning on guitar showboating here (although the man is able), it's a balanced, atmospheric and coherent work.

3. Frozen Shield - Ínia

A furious and epic mix of extreme and melodic metal. I've thrown a lot of subgenre tags at it already, like folk, viking, progressive, melodic death, blackened folk... Concept based as well so that's good for my power metal tastes.

4. Tales and Legends - Struggle of the Gods

On first listen not that spectacular but after a while the brilliance of this album shines through. Neoclassical power metal with an Egyptian mythology concept, there's virtuoso playing but all in service of the song. Patrik J Selleby's vocals aren't that high-pitched either, completing an album that shows remarkable restraint for its subgenre.

5. Reflection of Glory - Escape the Dream

Absolutely fantastic songwriting, The Hound of Heaven is my favourite song of 2021 and I've been extremely edified by it as well as a few other songs. Barry's voice sounds a bit too plain for the symphonic metal subgenre at times, but on the other hand I like the authenticity of it. The album's flow is broken considerably in the middle, when three ballads and a quiet orchestral interlude are packed together.

6. Magic Opera - The Golden Pentacle

Sympho/neoclassical power metal with the same kind of accents as Derdian, but the guitar tone is a bit crunchier. The vocalist does not really sing high pitched but sounds extremely powerful. Great drive behind the music, although at over an hour it's a bit long.

7. Null - Hiraeth

Atmospheric black metal infused with a hefty dose of Ensiferum-like folk, spread over two CDs. You'd thing it would get boring, but it's great to carefully listen to AND as background music for some Tolkien reading.

8. Marius Danielsen's Legend of Valley Doom - Legend of Valley Doom Part 3

After a disappointing Part 2 this album came as a real surprise. Hardly any awkward vocal lines anymore, way thicker sound and majestic and sometimes very melancholic choruses. All guest artists sound like they're having a blast. Danielsen is one of the more important musicians within the subgenre at the moment, keeping it alive. Oh, and John Rhys-Davies does some vocals and narration

9. Arcane Tales - Tales from Shàranworld

The most KVLT symphonic power metal artist in existence. The man behind the band records this stuff in his study room, does his own mixing and mastering and album art. The songwriting is great, but I must admit that the subgenre needs better production to make this music really shine. Still, the sound quality is improving with each album (he releases a lot of those by the way).

10. Nanowar of Steel - Italian Folk Metal

Yeah... it is what it is. I was in a CD shop with my daughter and she wanted it. Turned out to be quite good actually, maybe it helps that I don't understand Italian. It's really catchy, and these guys really now how to make music. Very able entertainers as well. I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I really liked their parody of a fascist march though Embarassed

11. Helloween - Helloween

This album wasn't a letdown, and all musicians had their parts proportionally distributed to them. That's a realy success in my book, considering the countless ways this reunion could have gone wrong musically. Still not as good as The Dark Ride and Gambling With the Devil though.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down