The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edgy rock bands from the 1970s...

Go down

Edgy rock bands from the 1970s... Empty Edgy rock bands from the 1970s...

Post by Soldier777 Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:58 pm

A while back, I posted a thread called, "Christian Hard rock and Metal Bands that started before 1985 that had national distrubuted albums released."

Some of the bands that were mentioned were:

Bands in my collection or will be:

Daniel Band
Darrell Mansfield (some of his material is blues based hard rock)
JerusalemĀ 
Leviticus
Messiah Prophet
Petra (not metal but released some hard rock songs and albums)
Rez
Saint
Stryper

Bands not in my collection:

100% Proof
Barnabas
Philadelphia
Vision (not totally familiar with his band but I believe they released some hard rock material)

Others have mentioned these bands:
Altar Boys
Undercover
Stronghold

I think that pretty much all the covers bands who were established between the 1980 to 1985 period. Bands like Bloodgood and Barren Cross were starting to create noise but had indepentent EPs out by 1985.

The purpose of this thread is to come up with bands who were established in the 1970s that weren't quite metal back then and may walk that hard rock fence but not fully go completely into hard rock territory as Christian Hard rock and Metal didn't really exist but had edgy rock music in terms of loud guitars on a lot of their material. Heavy Metal wasn't used in mainstream music until around 1983 and before then it was called Heavy Rock or something like that. The only 3 bands I can think of were:

Jerusalem
Petra on the first 2 albums
Rez Band

Were there others who were of the same style as these bands from the 1970s? I'm not sure of we can count Degarmo and Key and Larry Norman as these were mor eblues based rock and folky music and didn't have as much of an edge as the 3 I mentioned. Darrell Mansfiled released Higher Power in 1979 which was laid back blues based rock and has 4 edgy songs but I wouldn't consider them metal or hard rock. The next oneĀ  Get Ready to me has sort of that ZZ Top feel to it. I will always appreciate the pioneering bands that created the movement of Christian Rock, Hard Rock and Metal from the Jesus Movement of 1970's to bands that started in the early 80s. To me these bands are truly special but not downplaying bands that started in the 80s and 90s with that vintage 70s and 80s style. Any thoughts?
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down