The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Albums would have been better recieved if released under a different band name

+9
Opeth3232
Raegoul
Dustofyears
Constantine
Temple of Blood
Fundy
eatbugs
TZ75
mothy
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Albums would have been better recieved if released under a different band name Empty What Albums would have been better recieved if released under a different band name

Post by mothy Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 am

So the Bands/ Albums you dont get thread had me thinking and even listening to some thing albums I always wrote off due to stylistic changes etc. It got me thinking if the band would have put it out under a different name would it have been more popular. I was never a huge Deliverance fan but always wrote off Learn and the following 2 albums because of a style change. Listening to Learn, Above and Below and River Disturbance now I can appreciate them more when I separate them from the Deliverance (Thrash) name. Yes they have trashy elements but they are more melodic and groove oriented. I know some Love those 3 and Im really liking them now but when I was younger I saw Learn come out and sampled at the Christian bookstore and was thinking "This isnt the Deliverance I know, this isnt for me"

Another example for me is the Goth/Industrial stuff from Betrayal. Its really great stuff but only when I can separate from the Thrash band Betrayal.

Anybody else have other examples or thoughts?
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

What Albums would have been better recieved if released under a different band name Empty Re: What Albums would have been better recieved if released under a different band name

Post by TZ75 Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:54 am

I think the last album under the Deliverance name should have been Stay of Execution. After that, the sound went too soft. That’s not to say the music is bad… just too far removed from the speed/thrash roots.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

mothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

What Albums would have been better recieved if released under a different band name Empty Re: What Albums would have been better recieved if released under a different band name

Post by mothy Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 am

TZ75 wrote:I think the last album under the Deliverance name should have been Stay of Execution. After that, the sound went too soft. That’s not to say the music is bad… just too far removed from the speed/thrash roots.

Thats what Im wondering though but the last 2 have returned to those roots, would Learn and after been just as popular is under a different band name
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:13 am

The gold standard in this category for me is Holy Soldier - Promise Man.  It's a GREAT album but NOT a Holy Soldier album.

On Deliverance: I agree 100% but I'd put the change after What a Joke, with Stay... in the different band category.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:47 pm

I agree with Holy Soldier, they should have changed the name.  Also Messiah Prophet's third album was pretty good, but so different to their first 2.

I think a good example of getting it right is White Ray.

They did some heavy metal as White Ray.
Then they morphed in to hard rock as Killed By Cain.
Now they're groove/bluesy rock called Moonshine Zombies.

All three are great, but different.
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Staybrite and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:28 pm

TZ75 wrote:I think the last album under the Deliverance name should have been Stay of Execution. After that, the sound went too soft. That’s not to say the music is bad… just too far removed from the speed/thrash roots.

Even fewer people would've bought it with a different name.

Commercially, that's why bands keep their band/brand names even when the style changes drastically.

Marketing a new band name is FAR more difficult than just a new (even different) album from an old band.

Just imagine how much lower the sales for Load would've been if that album did not have a Metallica logo on it.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:51 pm

Holy Soldier, Messiah Prophet, and Guardian are good examples.  

Guardian switched styles not once, not twice, but 3 or even 4 times!

Also Disciple, Bride, Believer, Living Sacrifice, Lengsel, Kohllapse, Precious Death - huge stylistic changes along the way.  Neon Cross to a slighter extent.

The one that bothers me the most is Living Sacrifice.  Not only is their change so big, but they don't even play their old material live anymore and haven't for a long time.  At least a band like Bride would play some of their old material.

Mortal did it right and put out their alternative rock under the name Fold Zandura.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Temple of Blood and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:55 pm

Yeah, I think a style change is much more forgivable if they occasionally play some of their old material.

Then again, when bands lose a lot of their main songwriters, it's debatable if it's really the same band anymore even if they keep the name.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite, mothy and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Even fewer people would've bought it with a different name.

Commercially, that's why bands keep their band/brand names even when the style changes drastically.

Marketing a new band name is FAR more difficult than just a new (even different) album from an old band.

Just imagine how much lower the sales for Load would've been if that album did not have a Metallica logo on it.
I agree with you in the old days but today with social media etc I think things would be way easier. I get that doesn't apply to my examples but.............
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm

mothy wrote:
I agree with you in the old days but today with social media etc I think things would be way easier. I get that doesn't apply to my examples but.............

Easier yes, but I bet even these days side bands easily lose 50% of the audience from the main band ... probably much more.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Mad at the world.  Their album- flowers in the rain is a really cool goth synth pop type album.  Then they went heavy rock guitar/G N R styles but with a British accent.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

alldatndensum likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:49 pm

^I never really paid much attention to Mad At The World but am listening to "Seasons Of Love" right now.  
It has some really strong songs on it.  I'd say it is more influenced by The Cult and Danzig, but I did hear a few bits of G 'N R in there....

I'll check out the earlier material but I'd have to give this album a thumbs up.

It sounds like the band certainly fits this thread though.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

alldatndensum, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:55 pm

I think Detritus should have changed their name with this new album...just sayin'....
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
mothy wrote:

Easier yes, but I bet even these days side bands easily lose 50% of the audience from the main band ... probably much more.  
Im not sure. I know its a hypothetical but Die Happy is a prime example. If (i know its IF) the 3 other OG memebers of VR had kept the name and released the Die Happy material under the VR name it would have had huge backlash, but by going with a different name they picked up VR fans like myself and new ones that fit the genre they play.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Opeth3232 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:20 pm

Constantine wrote:I think Detritus should have changed their name with this new album...just sayin'....

I agree but they would have had to promote hard off of having og Detritus members.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:38 pm

Crawl to China maybe?
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Constantine wrote:^I never really paid much attention to Mad At The World but am listening to "Seasons Of Love" right now.  
It has some really strong songs on it.  I'd say it is more influenced by The Cult and Danzig, but I did hear a few bits of G 'N R in there....

I'll check out the earlier material but I'd have to give this album a thumbs up.

It sounds like the band certainly fits this thread though.
Boomerang was the album I was pointing to with the G n R heavy guitar sound, which sounds like a completely different band compared to Flowers in the rain.  Not that it's bad at all and their albums are slightly different from each other too but they stuck with the guitar rock setup after that album (at least I'm pretty sure it was after that one). Check it out if you feel like it- and compare it with Flowers, you'll see what I mean.

Interesting note- Boomerang was controversial in christian circles at the time of its release because of a song called 'Isn't sex a wonderful thing.'
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:03 am

Guardian should have changed there name after they went alternative as well as Whitecross after Rex left
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:00 am

I have my answer

BROTALITY

The band is serious, the name is a joke.

It doesn't even matter that they are kids. The music is great and the playing is exceptional.

A lot of great thrash songs were written by teenagers back in the day. This is no exception.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:37 am

Brotality need to change their name because it's cheesy but while I get the sentiment behind the question, it's interesting to note fans will complain if a band does the same album over and over then complain if they don't.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:35 pm

I'm thinking Bride maybe should have changed their name for the bluegrass album
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:07 pm

Constantine wrote:...Lengsel, Kohllapse...

I second Lengsel.  Though Kohllapse's two albums don't seem too stylistically different to my ears.

I'd add Sanctifica to the list.  Similar to Lengsel, their first album was very good black metal but their second album was completely different.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:12 pm

bodachi wrote:I'm thinking Bride maybe should have changed their name for the bluegrass album

I thought the same thing.  But then, they're all over the map musically anyway so what's one more?

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:27 pm

eatbugs wrote:
bodachi wrote:I'm thinking Bride maybe should have changed their name for the bluegrass album

I thought the same thing.  But then, they're all over the map musically anyway so what's one more?

Ya'll do realize that this is meant to be a novelty album by the members of Bride and not a real Bride release?  I don't really foresee this as having much commercial success at all.  I have almost everything they've ever released, and I am skipping this due to it being bluegrass.  I can't stand bluegrass music at all!  Now, I did get the Christmas album.

Whitecross should have definitely changed the name after Rex left.  They never really recovered from that, either.

The third Messiah Prophet album would have fared better with a name change as the music was different as were ALL the members.  That third album is still gold as it has a Warrant vibe to it, but most fans of those first two just don't give it a chance.

Guardian should have changed their name as well.  It just wasn't the same after "Buzz" even though I do enjoy listening to "Bottle Rocket".  They shouldn't have even made "Almost Home" in my opinion.

Holy Soldier could have used a different name as well.

The Brave probably should have when they brought in the female singer.  It wasn't the same.  However, I liked her vocals, but the music on both the remakes and the new songs sounded very demo-ish.  I hope they redo those songs with their current sound and Stayce Roberts on vocals.  That would be slicker than hog snot!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next