The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Embryo Chrysalis - thrash/power/prog

+3
mothy
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Embryo Chrysalis - thrash/power/prog  Empty Embryo Chrysalis - thrash/power/prog

Post by Temple of Blood Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 pm

Interesting stuff! Good musicianship.

Anyone here every heard these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvK2paPcqTIumz2DNt4s7TeO0l3EBoan8
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Embryo Chrysalis - thrash/power/prog  Empty Re: Embryo Chrysalis - thrash/power/prog

Post by Black Rider Thu May 06, 2021 5:53 pm

Nice, someone needs to clean that up and it'd be killer.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Embryo Chrysalis - thrash/power/prog  Empty Re: Embryo Chrysalis - thrash/power/prog

Post by mothy Fri May 07, 2021 9:34 am

Ive seen them on some youtube channels but nothing on metal archives or on the net. Man I love that 90's power thrash sound.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am

mothy wrote:Man I love that 90's power thrash sound.

YES

I'm right there with you.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri May 07, 2021 10:46 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

YES

Have you ever checked out Mathew Hunts youtube channel. Tons of old Christian Metal stuff
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 am

mothy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

YES

Have you ever checked out Mathew Hunts youtube channel. Tons of old Christian Metal stuff

Yeah, some good stuff there.

Not into generic 80s hard rock though, or generic AOR. That's what a lot of the Christian rock scene was.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri May 07, 2021 11:42 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
mothyMe too wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

YES

Yeah, some good stuff there.

Not into generic 80s hard rock though, or generic AOR.  That's what a lot of the Christian rock scene was.
Same here
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 pm

Have I heard of them?  Yes.  A year ago, I had made the lone comment on the "Vengeance Is Mine" video:

"I'm totally digging the sound, especially the vocals. Did they made any more songs?"

No one ever answered until now. So, thanks for including other songs of theirs in a playlist.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Temple of Blood and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaceOfASkull Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 am

Yes, I saw them in concert in the early/mid 1990's with a few other bands on the bill here in Kansas City, Missouri at the VFW hall. My ex girlfriends relative was in the band.

PlaceOfASkull
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 am

Constantine wrote:Have I heard of them?  Yes.  A year ago, I had made the lone comment on the "Vengeance Is Mine" video:

"I'm totally digging the sound, especially the vocals. Did they made any more songs?"

No one ever answered until now. So, thanks for including other songs of theirs in a playlist.

Sounds to me like there are 2 very different eras of the band: the Conception of Light demo, and this Vengeance is Mine track. The sound appears to have changed quite a lot, from USPM to something closer to 90s thrash. Although I enjoy both, I really prefer the latter.

I have been looking to see if they made any other songs from the "Vengeance is Mine" era onward, and Google turns up nothing.
I'd love to hear more material like this.

Maybe some of our detectives here could contact some band members and get some more info/songs. I tried this to no avail.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue May 11, 2021 9:42 am

PlaceOfASkull wrote:Yes, I saw them in concert in the early/mid 1990's with a few other bands on the bill here in Kansas City, Missouri at the VFW hall. My ex girlfriends relative was in the band.

That's awesome! I would love to have seen them. Need time travel technology ASAP.

Thanks for sharing this.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:26 pm

Oh this is fantastic, both the thread and the youtube links. For reasons that have nothing at all to do with metal, I've recently become pretty good friends with the vocalist/guitar player, and through him the other guitar player a little as well. We're actually working in ministry together, he'll love to see this and I'll ask if they had other recordings. From our previous conversations I doubt it, but I'm on the case.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Kerrick and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:08 pm

Grindboy wrote:Oh this is fantastic, both the thread and the youtube links. For reasons that have nothing at all to do with metal, I've recently become pretty good friends with the vocalist/guitar player, and through him the other guitar player a little as well. We're actually working in ministry together, he'll love to see this and I'll ask if they had other recordings. From our previous conversations I doubt it, but I'm on the case.
I would love to be able to purchase the music if they happen to have recordings they could upload somewhere
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:23 am

Need reissue or at least upload the songs and cover art somewhere that we can buy them digitally!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

mothy and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:46 pm

All right, I didn't manage to get a great start to finish chronology because our conversations go all over, but I do have some more.

https://www.reverbnation.com/jimhoopingarner/songs

I think five songs near the bottom, Awakening, Vengeance Is Mine, Conception of Light, A Call to Repentance, and Slave to the Hatred are Embryo Chrysalis tunes and look like they're all downloadable for you guys. As you can see there's all kinds of stuff on there, he's a musician and has done tons of different things over the years, but I *think* those are the EC tunes and only real metal stuff. 

It sounds like there were some other recordings that aren't currently on-line or available, I'm not sure if he has them in some format that could be uploaded somewhere or what. The band definitely did go through some sound/style changes as TOB mentions, starting as mostly power metal-ish and then moving into techy/proggy thrash similar to Tourniquet or Believer, and eventually he says they moved into something kind of between Pantera and Alice in Chains. 

I'll see if I can dig more up or convince him to upload or whatever because we do both think this is fun! But also it's just a fun sidebar to our relationship which he's been a huge blessing to me just as a guy with a great heart for God and people.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Temple of Blood like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info!

All those style changes sound good to me!  Let's hear them all!

I will listen to the songs on that Reverbnation page ... thanks for sharing it!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu May 12, 2022 10:18 am

Posted on facebook to the "Christian Metal" page where everybody posts about Demon Hunter and then complains about posts about Demon Hunter:

A few people on here have shown interest in my old band Embryo Chrysalys. We’ve put up a YouTube channel with a bunch of live vids for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd-DYYZI_dek4NSaHos9YHw

12 (mostly) live videos from back in the day, pretty decent sound quality for what they are.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood and Kerrick like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 am

Awesome!  Thanks for sharing this!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu May 12, 2022 12:32 pm

Grindboy wrote:Posted on facebook to the "Christian Metal" page where everybody posts about Demon Hunter and then complains about posts about Demon Hunter:

A few people on here have shown interest in my old band Embryo Chrysalys. We’ve put up a YouTube channel with a bunch of live vids for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd-DYYZI_dek4NSaHos9YHw

12 (mostly) live videos from back in the day, pretty decent sound quality for what they are.

LOL I know the group!  One definitely needs to sift through a lot of garbage posts, but I've found some great stuff on there too.  Gotta love the ones where someone's asking for recommendations for Christian bands similar to Emperor and Mayhem and folks respond with Skillet, Demon hunter, and Theocracy hahahaha.

Embryo Crysalys is rad!  I don't remember, did you ever record anything?  Even if just a CDr, I'd buy one from ya in a heartbeat.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu May 12, 2022 1:14 pm

Yeah, the answer to every post on Christian Metal is Demon Hunter, Theocracy, or Stryper.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu May 12, 2022 1:47 pm

*thread drift acknowledged* 
There IS some good on the page, which is why I still follow it, a little. But it's also tragic/hilarious. 
Looking for Christian band that sounds similar to ______?
    -- Not really what you're looking for, but try my favorite band anyway!
    -- Just listen to the band that you're looking for a band with similarities to, idiot. Why would you think that this is for finding Christian bands that you don't know about? And Christian bands are stupid, they just copy other bands. Every band I listen to is completely unique and original with no influences or similar artists whatsoever, duh. Plus telling you how I listen to bands with anti-Christian messages shows how I'm so much more mature and Christ-like than you are. Moron. Learn to think for yourself, and start by listening to an internet loud-mouth, like me.

Kerrick, to be clear, I was never in Embryo Chrysalys, I was like a Freshman/Sophomore in high school when they were a thing. And holy cow, they could really play. I still don't think they have anything for sale, but a couple tracks downloadable from the reverbnation link earlier in the thread. I think I maybe sort of heard something about at least asking about the potential for having something re-released, but I don't know if it's at all possible or even what decent recordings might be extant. My guess is not much will happen, but if something does I'll be excited to share it, it's a good step that these got uploaded, so who knows?

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Kerrick and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu May 12, 2022 3:46 pm

Oh gotcha, I misread your comment and thought you had been holding out on me haha!  And you hit the nail on the head regarding Christian metal FB pages...  Sigh...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:08 am

The official Embryo Chrysalis has a ton of new live and demo recordings.  Very interesting!

Embryo Chrysalys - YouTube

Very good band that deserves more love from Christian metallers!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Grindboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:36 pm

1994 demo - "The Powers that Be ..." posted

Embryo Chrysalys - The Powers That Be... - YouTube
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword and Grindboy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:19 am

Temple of Blood wrote:1994 demo - "The Powers that Be ..." posted

Embryo Chrysalys - The Powers That Be... - YouTube
"The story is about an abused kid from a religious family who becomes a satanist and kills his parents, only to find Christ in the gas chamber. It's a concept album inspired by the time we tried to pass out tracts as a Deicide concert." -- Jim, vocals/guitars

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next