The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies that are somewhat similar to "The Thing" (1982) ...

5 posters

Go down

Movies that are somewhat similar to "The Thing" (1982) ... Empty Movies that are somewhat similar to "The Thing" (1982) ...

Post by anthrax_fan Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:47 am

Any suggestions ?

anthrax_fan
anthrax_fan
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Movies that are somewhat similar to "The Thing" (1982) ... Empty Re: Movies that are somewhat similar to "The Thing" (1982) ...

Post by BaleMaster Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 am

Best horror movie ever.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Movies that are somewhat similar to "The Thing" (1982) ... Empty Re: Movies that are somewhat similar to "The Thing" (1982) ...

Post by Constantine Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:47 am

Well it depends on what types of similarities you are looking for.

Are you looking for similarities in technical effects?  In that sense there is very little out there that matches the creativity of the 1982 John Carpenter version, except maybe the 2011 prequel.

However as far as basic plot (aliens taking over human bodies) there are some similar movies and T.V. series out there, from Invasion Of The Body Snatchers to Lifeforce to the Alien series, or The Hidden, The Host, Faculty, Night Of The Blood Beast, Earth: Final Conflict, etc. 

If you are looking for movies that can completely creep you out like The Thing, there are also plenty of choices out there.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:00 am

There's a 2011 version of The Thing. (I gather people didn't like it quite as well, based on ratings online in comparison)

What comes to mind for me is the movie "Assimilate". (2019) It has the "people get infected and aren't themselves" premise, but its more of a zombie-esque survival horror type presentation. No "frozen wasteland creature discovery" aspect though, it has a small town type setting.

Harbinger Down (2015) has the "frozen wasteland creature discovery", but people are just killed by a monster instead of infected and changing into something else. A fantastic creature-feature that I've watched a number of times.

The Ruins (2008) has the "infected and killed by an unknown something" but the setting is mysterious ruins in the jungle. This one, part of the plot is finding out what's infecting and killing the people so I'll not spill the beans on the suttle thing they encountered throughout the movie that was doing it. :B

The Void (2016) - while this movie doesn't have the frozen discovery or any sort of natural infection aspect, its one of the most terrifying movies I've seen. Starts out seeming like a cult is killing people, then a small group of people find out they're trapped in a hospital, because these robe wearing freaks won't go inside, but they'll try to kill anyone that leaves. Any death that happens in the hospital "transforms" the corpses into a hellish monstrosities, and before people die, they act REALLY weird - like taking a knife and peeling their face off for the first nurse who "gets it". Also, the hospital transforms into something reminiscent of something from Silent Hill.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:59 am

Harbinger Down is on my Amazon Prime watchlist, I agree that might be a good choice actually.

The Void and The Ruins are supernatural horror like Lovecraft type stuff, I usually don't watch that genre except for maybe occasionally (like Hellraiser, Dagon).
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:09 pm

The HP Lovecraft inspired movies “Re-Animator” and “From Beyond” come close.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Constantine wrote:
The Void and The Ruins are supernatural horror like Lovecraft type stuff, I usually don't watch that genre except for maybe occasionally (like Hellraiser, Dagon).

I agree with that a lot actually. The first time I watched The Void, it reminded me of Hellraiser but "cranked up a few notches".
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down