The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nu-metal

+4
Constantine
outofstep
Pethead
WildWorld
8 posters

Go down

Nu-metal Empty Nu-metal

Post by WildWorld Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 16:11

Yeah, yeah, the "scourge of metal" and all, but are there any bands from this genre that you actually like? While I'm not a hardcore fan, I enjoy Saliva, Godsmack, Papa Roach, Pillar, Red, and Disturbed. Some of Kid Rock's Nu-metal stuff (before he decided he wanted to be a Country star) is ok too.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Nu-metal Empty Re: Nu-metal

Post by Pethead Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 16:16

There’s not a lot I like from the genre, but I do love Pillar. Fireproof and Where Do We Go from Here are my favorites, but I pretty much like their whole catalog. Been a fan since their major debut.

I also like a lot of Disciple’s nu-metal stuff. Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is one of my favorite albums from any genre. 

I also like some Red and Skillet.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by outofstep Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 16:24

The first Coal Chamber album was ok, is that still considered nu-metal?  The Deftones got lumped into the nu-metal thing (not sure why?), and their first few records are great! Oh, and the first Korn record is great as well.
outofstep
outofstep
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 16:43

I like some rapcore and nu metal.   XIII Minutes, P.O.D., Saving Jackie, Pax 217, 38th Parallel, Earthsuit, Mindrage, Breaking Benjamin, and a few songs here and there from Pillar, Red, Skillet, Thousand Foot Crutch, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Project 86, Incubus, Alien Ant Farm, Godsmack, Drowning Pool, Sevendust, Filter, Evanescence, Puddle of Mudd, Three Days Grace, and Disturbed.

Last edited by Constantine on Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 16:46; edited 2 times in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 16:44

WildWorld wrote:Yeah, yeah, the "scourge of metal" and all, but are there any bands from this genre that you actually like? While I'm not a hardcore fan, I enjoy Saliva, Godsmack, Papa Roach, Pillar, Red, and Disturbed. Some of Kid Rock's Nu-metal stuff (before he decided he wanted to be a Country star) is ok too.

I don't like most nu metal. But..the mindset of *nu metal* isn't real metal IMO is a stupid, lazy, dishonest, hypocritical one.
That said, i don't mind a few songs from a few nu metal bands.
Also there is a difference between nu metal and rap metal though they sometimes overlap.
And some bands commonly called nu metal are NOT *nu metal*. Disturbed is more a modern hard rock band(and a good one at that), Slipknot unfairly sometimes get classified as nu metal but are actually an extreme metal band(with a little nu metal influence on their early albums. But are more a combo of industrial, thrash, touches of death, and a tiny bit of nu metal influence).
Kid rock also is not quite a pure nu metal band/musician either, though he has elements of it.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 16:57

I like Pillar, Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, and quite a few more.  I got tired of Red as every one of their albums sound alike to me.  I should sell my CDs of them.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 17:06

alldatndensum wrote:I like Pillar, Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, and quite a few more.  I got tired of Red as every one of their albums sound alike to me.  I should sell my CDs of them.
Forgot TFK. They have some great stuff, especially Welcome to the Masquerade.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 17:11

Nu-metal may be making a comeback. I discovered Tetrarch about 2 months ago, and really liked it. 

Music sounds like Korn. Singer sounds just like Chester Bennington

Last edited by Samson on Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 17:17; edited 1 time in total
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 17:12

I dont know if I'd consider Skillet Nu-Metal. Their earlier stuff leaned more towards industrial, while their newer stuff is basically hard rock.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat 9 Jan 2021 - 17:15

WildWorld wrote:I dont know if I'd consider Skillet Nu-Metal. Their earlier stuff leaned more towards industrial, while their newer stuff is basically hard rock.
I’d probably label Collide nu-metal. Either way, great album.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Contrarian Deist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Jan 2021 - 14:52

I like a lot of these bands pretty well. Nu-metal is NOT my favorite subgrenre but still had some good stuff. Metalcore is actually my least favorite subgrene. Can't tell most of those bands apart. Like at all. scratch

Anyway:

I'm a big fan of Stuck Mojo. I guess they fit the nu-metal genre.

I like Sevendust quite a bit. I think they're a little more melodic alternative/groove metal though.

I like 311.  Maybe a more alternative rock/reggae/metal(??). Maybe even progressive at times. 311 is really hard to categorize LOL!

I like Disturbed pretty well, but they lean toward groove metal/modern rock.

I really like System Of A Down.

Mudvayne is good. Kind of a prog nu-metal.

Does Static-X count? I like them pretty well.

Mushroomhead? Another hard-to-categorize band. Neat stuff though. Very FNM influenced.

I like Slipknot fairly well. Especially the first two albums. Had a little bit of a Mr. Bungle (without the horns section) thing going on with those at times. Extreme Nu-Metal?

Never could stand Limp Bizkit.

Can't stand Papa Roach.

I have respect for Korn (being to nu-metal what Metallica was for thrash), but don't really listen to them much any more.

Not sure about Deftones. Need to go back and check more of their stuff out. Used to have Adrenaline on CD when it came out. Never really listened to it though. Traded it a long time ago.

I like a few Godsmack songs. Not a huge fan or anything.

A lot of these bands started out labelled Nu-Metal but more-or-less grew into their own things.

Last edited by UltraMagnus on Sun 10 Jan 2021 - 18:37; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun 10 Jan 2021 - 15:47

Honestly I've contemplated buying some Disturbed, at least a besr of. I love some of their material. Down with the sickness, prayer, stupify, their cover of sound of silence(brilliant)....*ROOCK!*. David has a unique vocal/singing style that is powerful.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun 10 Jan 2021 - 16:34

Korn.  Deftones... Hole in the earth, with its 6/8 feel against four-- man, it takes me somewhere when I hear that tune.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down